FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

liquid cooling? How to upgrade...

Post Date: 2016-12-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rangoon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: liquid cooling? How to upgrade...
    Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 10:32am
I'm looking at a Bolt 3 and wondering about liquid cooling.

1) if I choose to liquid cool the GPU, what is the best process for upgrading video cards down the line. Send back to DS for the swap? Do they then reinstall the original cooler to the GPU and send that back to you to do with what you please? Or do they offer a trade-in value? Do they send the original GPU cooler with the computer so you have it with you from day 1?

2) For an EVGA GTX 1080, anyone know how much the liquid cooling will help with overclock vs. the stock ACX 3.0?

3) How well will a liquid-cooled system travel by car several times per year about 1000 mile each trip? I would package it carefully (Probably back in original DS box with whatever internal supports that came with it). But is that still too much vibration to risk for a liquid system? Is the Corsair AIO more robust in this regard or is the hydrolux resilient enough to handle this?

4) How much noise do the hyrdolux or Corsair cut down compared to the low-profile air cooler for the Bolt 3?

5) Does the mini-ITX board (Asus) have much affect (limitation vs. ATX) on overclocking (meaning maybe liquid cooling is that much more significant in this case)? Does the SFF have much affect (same) due to less room for air to move in the case itself? Or is it really not a huge difference?

6) I've seen a number of Bolt 3 reviews using CPU and GPU liquid cooling. Is this generally the best way to go? I don't mind saving money forgoing the liquid setup, not thinking about maintenance, and possibly having a more robust setup for travel. But will liquid cooling be an obvious choice for real performance gains and/or reduced noise? Or is it just not very important these days? The only obvious difference I see is in the configurator - Stage 1 is the only option for air (4.4GHz vs 4.8GHz). And is a CPU-only liquid setup worth considering or if you're doing liquid is it just a wasted opportunity not putting liquid to the GPU as well?
Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 1:11pm
Also wanted to ask about hard line tubing vs flex - would either be better for transportation? hard line more impervious to impact but more susceptible to vibration wear for example?

Is the hard line tubing just aesthetic? Is it better in any way?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 2:11pm
I can't answer all the questions, but if you upgrade a water cooled card in the future, it will need a new water block, each one unique to a particular card.   DS doesn't do trade ins, so you could buy a new video card, install the waterblock after removing the fan assembly, heatsink, or buy a card with water lock installed in some cases.   

Hard line tubing has no flexibility.   It makes working on the system more difficult and it's rigidity might be more susceptible to damage in transit. It is just for looks.

I don't overclock video cards, but water cooling does allow higher clocks and the voltage needed for it.    The difference in gaming isn't huge but a several percentage point increase.

Imho, a Corsair AIO would be less susceptible to damage than the Hydrlux.   The Hydrolux has a seperate reservoir that can crack, vs the Corsair that just has the rad and small pump over the CPU.

If I was going to be moving it around, I'd stick to all air, even if it means several frames less in games.

renkip View Drop Down

Quote renkip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 6:53am
I can only provide input on Q3.

I'm not a fan of the AIO liquid cooling options; I was disappointed by the H60 and it's still sitting in a box waiting for me to repurpose or sell it. I'll let others who have tried more and newer AIO products speak to their advantages and disadvantages.

I took my own H20 rig (my first build, hardline acrylic tubing) on a 400 mile car ride. I emptied its coolant before putting it in the trunk with a blanket around it. It traveled very well, no issues with refilling once I got to my destination. Make sure you have a sensibly placed drain line. I'm sure DS builders do that for their builds. I was a tiny bit worried about transporting it the first time, but I've done it two or three times with zero issues.

Benefits of acrylic tubing if bent properly and installed well with appropriate fittings
1. better looks
2. slightly better airflow inside case
3. distilled water in loop possibly doesn't need to be changed quite as often (true for me, highly dependent, too, on what you're putting into your coolant)

Disadvantages of acrylic tubing
1. much harder to bend and install than flexible tubing; DS does all the hard work for you here and IMO doesn't charge enough for that labor
2. swapping out parts might prove more difficult if inlets/outlets aren't in the same exact spot
3. not flexible, obviously. DS will probably run the hardline acrylic so that it's still easy to get to your parts and tweak stuff, but overall it takes much more thoughtful planning since you'll have no wiggle-room with the tubing once it is installed.

If you intend to change your parts (graphics card, mobo, CPU) frequently, go for flex tubing with the quick disconnects. If you intend to use dyes in your coolant, go for flex tubing with the quick disconnects since you'll need to do more maintenance. For major maintenance, if you break down your entire system to clean out rads, res, tubing, blocks, I don't think there's much difference between flexible tubing and hardline.

Good luck!

P.S. Just saw another post written by you that indicates overall weight might be a concern. Heads up: water-cooling adds more weight than you'd think. Even when the rig is emptied of coolant, you've got the rads, blocks, graphics card backplate, fittings, and res that all add to overall weight. It might be worth considering a SFF or mATX case with a handle and an air-cooled or AIO build if portability (and lower overall weight) is a top priority.

Edited by renkip - 03 Jan 2017 at 7:47pm
Rangoon View Drop Down

Quote Rangoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful!
 Post Reply Post Reply