FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at either bolt 3 or apollo

Post Date: 2016-08-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HammerofTampa View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking at either bolt 3 or apollo
    Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:01pm
Budget:
[Please Type Here]
Around $2500

Usage:

Gameing mostly League of Legends, guild wars 2 , over watch and some WoW also general Web surfing

Specifications:
Looking to upgrade the girlfriends gameing set up to something with more power she likes either the bolt 3 or apollo either lv 2 or 3 on both systems I was going to stay as "stock" as possible on whatever set up I get for her, is one much better than the other and is it worth over clocking?

Thanks

Edited by HammerofTampa - 26 Aug 2016 at 6:12pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 11:17pm
If I could make your brain think much faster without any side effects would you be interested? if yes then welcome to the world of OC. A safe overclock on your cpu (the brain of your system) will yield the greatest perfomrance gain in the pc. So heck yes you should oc but with the right parts and safe speeds.

We will discuss that a bit further later.

I think for those games a 1060 is more then enough what res are you gaming at? not that it matters much those are all mainly cpu intensive.

Playing those games this pc will last her for years I'm talking 5 to 6 years easy for the use you mentioned, worst case scenario you upgrade the gpu in a few years if needed.

Apollo

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

That is my recommendation, for the vanquish I will show you a build however I'm not comfortable with the air cooler or the closed loop lc used in that build to recommend it but thats just me:

Ticket Number: vanquish build 406608

the vanquish is lower price but for my money I feel comfortable with the Apollo.

You decide which you like best and with the vanquish you may have issues with that cooler and you may need to change it yourself or send the pc in for repair, not saying that is going to happen, just saying be prepared in case it does, those coolers don't have the best rep on the net.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Aug 2016 at 11:18pm

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 11:45pm
Should I over clock the graphics card also? If so what parts do I need to change out so the thing does not over heat.
   How much difference is there between graphics cards ex 1060,1070 and 1080? Her current graphics card is a r370 or something like that so any other card will be a massive Improvement lol

Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 11:52pm
Ok lets see:

1. the difference between cards is irrelevant if you will, let me explain, what you want to look for is how much power do I need? that depends on the games you play and res you play them at. In this case the games you play are more cpu intensive then gpu, also they are simple games if you will in terms of requierments. So a 1060 is way more then you need, but it has the new tech on it as far as ports go and its the new pascal, those 2 make it a candidate to power your system for 4 or more years for your kind of use. Now if you introduce new games then that will change things, but at 1080p the 1060 will handle games like farcry or fallout or gtv easy, the games you mentioned are no where near the requierments of those games.

2. Based on the above info, we already have more power then we need, why oc the gpu and introduce more heat and stress, we have nothing to gain here.

but to see the difference in gpus look at this pic below, you see everything from titian pascal all the way down to your r370, you can see how much more powerful the 1060 is, it over double the power in farcry at 1080p:

Once you decided with which build you want to go with let me know I like to give you some options on it.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 12:03am

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:53am
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1479133, this is almost the same as the build you suggested but with a liquid coolent

Thinking about something along this after talking with you, sense I will be over clocking the cpu shouldn't I go with the liquid coolant system? And won't that be quieter than a fan? She also does marathon gaming session of 8-10hrs won't the liquid be a better option all around?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 2:25am
The build you mentioned does have LC but you also punched the oc to stage 2, that is a high oc and not a good idea, you want to stick with 4.4GHz so you have a good oc and good vcore, otherwise high vcore and long use can kill the cpu quicker.

Remember first thing I asked was "what if I could make your brain think faster with no side effects", What I didn't say was "what if I could push your brain to its max or close to it". so keep your oc where you have a good speed and good vcore, for the 6700k 4.4GHz to 4.6GHz seems to be the sweet spot.

The noctua is a great cooler, its noise is on par with the aio coolers and pretty much hydrolux lite under heavy load.

If you are ok with having to do some work on the lc system then by all means go with the hydrolux lite, just understand that nocuta is no regular fan cooler.

forget OS boost, there is no boost to gain from the OS, if you can tell a difference in performance via os boost with your 16GB of ram, 850 evo ssd and the 6700k at 4.4GHz, then there something wrong lol.

Instead of the os boost and stage 2 oc, go with stage 1 oc and cable management and/or extra fans. If you go with extra fans request that DS connects all your fans to the mobo so you can control them via free software.

But I'm not sure if extra fans on the apollo is worth it since you would be only needing one or two fans, so maybe you want to see how DS would charge you for one or two extra fans. Actually if you go with lc forget the extra fans there is no room.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 2:29am

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:50am
Ok, thanks for the info. Looks like your original suggestion will be the best option right now.

How upgradable is your original suggestion if she ever wants to play a future game at 4k ( not sure she will ) but I would rather spend the money now and have all the systems in place

How much work is involved with servicing a lc unit and how often should it be done? If I get extra fans and the sound management option how loud would that be. Also would the fans keep the system cool enough under long periods of gameing?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:15am
Well for 4k again it depends on the games, games like wow will not have much of gpu need, where as a game like farcry will need sli 1080 or a titan under heavy oc.

this system can't do either, we would need to change the psu.

How much work is involved in an lc depends on if anything goes wrong, you get a leak you have to figure out where its coming from and then you can see what needs to be changed or fixed, pump breaks you need to replace the pump or system (depending), you need to flush the system at least once a year.

The config I gave you with the noctua is meant for use/gaming 24/7.

As I mentioned just have DS connect the fans to the mobo for you and you/we can control the fans ourselves no need to pay DS to do something we can do ourselves for free via free software. No matter what if she is gaming for a long time, things will get warm and the fans will need to be turned up which then will bring more noise.

90% of your noise will come from the gpu when its under heavy load, if you put it under lc then its noise will be eliminated but then you will be dealing with the fans on the radiator for the lc that will need to run on high to keep up with the high temps, so even with the noise package(lower fan speeds) after a short time of gaming you will be calling DS complaining about your pc being hot and shutting down at which point they will ask you to raise the fan speeds backup, making the nose package (lower fan speeds) pointless.

Your only way out of this is to get a custom loop with a triple rad and custom quiet fans on it. that will be very costly.

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:49am
Ok. Thanks you've been very helpful. At some point today I will put together another set up based off your advice and post it for your option
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:53am
My pleasure

lets see what you got, just be forewarned you gonna have a tough time beating my config's performance for that price.

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:50am
Lol I know but I just found out she was looking at a 1080 as an upgrade to her current set up. If I go with that card do I need to upgrade the power supply also?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:09pm
For the 1080 and oc 750w would be best, don't get teh b1 version.

the 1080 gtx for those mmo games at 1080p is pure waste you do realize that.

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:38pm
After talking to you I do but I brought up what graphics card she was wanting next and that was the one she said she was looking at. But I would rather have the components in place if she wanted to upgrade down the line.

And you were right I can't beat the set up you suggested I'm going to go with that one. Oneed question the set up you suggested only has the one 500 gig memory card (Samsung 850) why is that? Was thinking it was because I was going to be adding an external hard drive is that correct?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:12pm
500GB ssd is for the OS and games, if you need to add internal or external drives that is fine. I didn't add the extra drive because of cost and I was not sure if you would need it. If you like we can add hdd or ssd to it as a second drive.

If you do choose to go with an external-drive, please make your own external by getting an external enclosure and your own HDD/SSD, this way you can use multiple HDDs/SSDs with one enclosure, and they are much easier for cloning, since all you do after the clone is complete is to just turn the external off.

Here are a few recommendations for HDD and external enclosure, if you want SSD support make sure they support both 3.5"/2.5" drives.

choose your HDD That is a link to HDDs feel free to choose a SSD instead.

choose your external enclosure

more external enclosure

If you are wondering I use this one for cloning and any other single HDD/SSD I want to run. I also use these to extend the record space on my dvr/cable box. I have so many of these I could open a store.

IF you have any question or are not sure about anything please ask away.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 7:13pm

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:35pm
Thanks again I was thinking about just getting a 6tb world drive external hard drive. I have a 4 for my Xbox one and that is more space then I will ever need on that so a 6tb should last her for ever.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:52pm
Well if its an closed external then no it will not last forever, depending on the hdd used inside, This is why its good to get your own external enclosure and put your own ssd or hdd in it, and by doing so you can decide what brand hdd to put on there. For example here on DS I would only recommend the wd black edition or enterpise editions because of reliability. both of those you can put in an external enclosure yourself, and if they go bad you can simply and easily change it.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 7:52pm

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:13pm
Ok thanks. 500gb is enough I just had her check and she is only using about 20gb
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:36pm
That is what I thought, the 500GB should hold os/games and apps just fine.

but clone that drive to an external once a week so you don't lose much data should something go wrong with the drive.

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:40pm
Ok thanks for the advice. How is the warranty on theses pc? Wondering if I should pay the $100 and go with the 4/2 warranty, never spent this much on a electric device before
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:44pm
PC parts are flaky boss, they can pass the test and die next day or they can last you years, I have hdds here that are 10 years old, and hdd that dies after 2 months or a year. same goes for gpus ram etc.

right now the warranty is at 1 year parts, that means after the first year you are on your own with the parts, you will have to go thru manufacturer and ram.

Long story short I went with a 5 year part warranty, I think it only goes up to 4 years now.

Its upto you, I personally like to get the most part warranty possible, I do the labor myself and for easy stuff like ram/hdd/gpu and etc you will be doing the work yourself, unless you want ot be without the pc for like a month.

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:51pm
Oh God a month with our her pc I think she would kill me

Kind of thought you would say something like that but I figured I'd ask anyways. I get paid this Friday so I'll probably be placing the order then thanks for all your help.
    I was trying to keep this a secret but I think she put 2 and 2 together
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:57pm
Hey nothing wrong with doing some research for future pc (like a xmas gift if you will) that is what I would tell her, I'm doing some research for a possible purchase around xmas.

That should throw her off long enough for the pc to get there and surprise her.

Just so you know, shipping pc to DS takes about 5 business days (depending) then anther 5 days to get it back, so in reality that is 2 weeks just in transport, lets say DS solves the problem and tests in 3 to 5 business days, right there you are looking at 21 days without pc.

So ya if simple things go wrong we can fix it ourselves instead of sending it in, if you ever have problems with hdd/gpu/ram/cpu cooler/etc come to the forum we will walk you thru installation you are not alone

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 8:59pm

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:03pm
Shes expecting a pc for Xmas the last 2 years I've gotten her a mouse and keyboard and last year a 24 or 32 inch monitor. As long as it gets to her before November 11 I will be good ( booked an out of state hinting trip ) this will help smooth things over lol.

Good to know about that warranty I think I will spend the money and get the best one I can just in case
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:05pm
Ummm if its not there by nov11th that is an issue I mean if DS can't get you that pc by nov 11th I would have ot stop recommending DS but I'm pretty sure you will have it before oct 11th

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 9:06pm

Quote HammerofTampa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:08pm
Lol I hope so
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:18pm
I know so
 Post Reply Post Reply