FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a general overview

Post Date: 2012-03-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RoarZ View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RoarZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for a general overview
    Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 4:32pm
Budget:
~3500$

Hello everyone, just hoping to get some feedback on this system build.

This config will be used mostly for modern gaming, photo editing, and some light video rendering. I was also planning on running folding@home/SETI in the background. I only mention this because I've seen some talk about system performance playing a part in this? Could someone elaborate this relationship?

I guess my concern is mostly to do with the GPU and whether or not the single 570 is a good choice for the Asus 27" 3D monitor? Should I be considering putting lesser cards in SLI?

I think that's about it... Questions, comments concerns?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by RoarZ - 10 Mar 2012 at 1:08am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 6:13am
Ho RoarZ   Welcome to the forums.    This a tough one, mainly because I not sure how much rendering you do, even though you said light and I don't know folding, others might be better to help with that.

For that 3D 27" monitor , I guessed the VG278H, you would need more gpu power.  3D basically requires twice the gpu, for twice the images 3D render.

Config  # 664063    Cost $ 3893

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Hometheater HD 7.1 (Model: AZTHTHD02817) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

The psu should be 1050HX, this config builder has been messing up lately.

I stuck with the Z68 platform, assuming you don't need the x79, quad channel ram and 6 core cpu available for rendering, etc..

I went with the cf, 2x 7970, equivalant to a tri-sli 570 1.2GB cards,  which are expensive but the alternative for your gaming is a tri-sli 570's and a move to x79 to handle 3 gpu.  More $$$$

I don't believe sli 570's could handle that monitor, which in 3D is like running a 2560x 1440 or so monitor. 

The gpu's are assuming you want to max out games on ultra like BF3, etc. 

The Hailstorm is a water cooling case, but I went to air cooled cpu, the D14.  That is all most need unless your needs are higher oc'ing and running the rig 24/7 for folding.  Then a change is needed, back to what you have.

A great alternative for your budget is the ODE level4, if you need X79 platform, assuming you don't need stage 4 cooling on cpu.  You would  have to add your audio, BluRay and larger SSD.

The HafX case doesn't need chassis fan upgrade, the Killer 2100 I have heard is useless. 

See what you think.  Lots of variables in this one.  Good Luck, something to build on.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 10 Mar 2012 at 6:22am
RoarZ View Drop Down

Quote RoarZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 3:48pm
Well, first off bprat22 thanks for all the concise info, really helpful.

I seemed to have overlooked the fact that 3D means that much more GPU power.   
In hindsight it makes total sense, double refresh rate, image etc.
So once again thanks for that.

On the subject of the case/cooling options, truthfully I chose the LCS assuming it would be much quieter. I'm not even aware if this is truly the reality. If not I have no problem changing to air cooling, as I kinda assumed the sub zero setup might be a bit overkill.

Other than that, I just have a lot of options to think about. Like you said, quiet a few variants.

Once again thanks for the all the info so far!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 3:54pm
My pleasure      Liquid cooling still uses fans to cool the radiator.   The D14 and Phantek are very quiet.   Hope this helps.       Just to add, a gaming rig in a case like the HafX withquiet case fans, most of the noise is from the gpu's built in fans.

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Mar 2012 at 4:05pm
RoarZ View Drop Down

Quote RoarZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 6:31pm
Hmm, interesting, and yes that definitely helps.

Ok, and with that, I think I'm getting to that point of possibly ordering very soon.

Thanks again for help man
kenage View Drop Down

Quote kenage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 6:55pm
The LCS will give you typically lower temperatures, but the thing is, the 2600K doesn't exactly turn into an oven, so you don't need quite so powerful cooling involved. If you go with 2x 7970s, those also run rather cool, so the LC is kinda extravagant for it. The HAF X 942 has phenominal cooling, as bpratt says, and the big fans move lots of air while staying whisper-quiet.

The Noctua NH-D14 is really one of the best air coolers you can get these days. If you're dead-set on liquid, the Corsair H100 is the same price, roughly same performance, and roughly the same amount of noise. If you didn't like the HAF X case, then I'd recommend it over the D14, but again, the HAF X runs nice and cool.

Another problem I can see possibly cropping up is the USB3 PCI-E card and the sound card you wish to install. Even though each is only an x1 slot, they're still using PCI-E lanes, which would bump one of the two video cards down to an x4, which is unacceptable for most.

Given that you're doing image editing, video rendering, and some SETI stuff, you might consider the X79 platform as well. This will give you a few advantages that may be enough to offset the cost.

Give this a look:

Saved Ticket Number: 664440
Price: $3898.00

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB)
Add-on Card: USB 3.0 4-Port PCI Express Card
Sound Card: Auzen X-Fi Hometheater HD 7.1 (Model: AZTHTHD02817) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror Special Edition (Gaming Keyboard)
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Another $300 puts you at a 6C/12T beast with the 3930K, but that may be unnecessary.

This configuration will do a few things for you:
You'll have 40 PCI-E 3.0 lanes of traffic. Dual cards with 40 lanes of traffic means both operate at maximum speed both to the CPU and between each other. Even with a third card, since PCI-E 3.0 is 2x as fast as PCI-E 2.0, the cards will max themselves out before maxing out the data channels they're on.
Your two addon cards will have single PCI-E lanes to themselves without causing the video cards to drop to lower bandwidth speeds as well.

The downside is your power bill will go up, since Sandy Bridge has a TDP of 95W and the Sandy Bridge-E chips sit at about 130W.
— Kenage
MCTS, MCP, Security+, Network+
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
RoarZ View Drop Down

Quote RoarZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 11:14pm
Wow, thanks for all the insights kenage. I'm pretty excited that you managed to catch me before completely finalizing my purchase hopefully sometime tomorrow afternoon.

First point was the D14 vs. LC, which I can safely say has been put to rest.

Second point, thank you for catching this one, the ability to use each video card on a non-restricting lane. Definite point taken, and that along with the advantage of more core power I think has persuaded me to go with the X79 platform.

Upgrading to the X79 mobo, bumping up to the 3820 i7, and adding another SSD didn't seem to move the price so those all sound good to me too. Other than that I think I just need to know if the 1050HX power supply will still be adequate with these new upgrades or if it needs to be bumped up.

Thanks again

Edited by RoarZ - 11 Mar 2012 at 11:50pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:37am
Hi RoarZ      Good catch by kenage on the 16 vs 40 lanes.    The 1050HX is all you need for that setup.  The 1200W would be a consideration if you ever thought you'd do 3 gpu setup.   

The only thing to be aware is that DS might tell you the H100 cooler is required to stage 2 oc with the X79 setup and cf 7970's. We used to think only the 6 core 3930 but they have said the 4 core 3820 recently.  If they do no big beal, it works and they'll mount it to the roof.

Edited by bprat22 - 12 Mar 2012 at 6:45am
RoarZ View Drop Down

Quote RoarZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:43pm
Hello, thanks for the conformation bprat22.

It seems in the hours that have gone by, I have come to decide upon the 3930K stage 2 oc.

I'm assuming this would definitely need the H100 at least, or should I still try for the D14?

Also, once again, would this change my power supply needs? I plan on staying with the 2x 7970's for now...

Thanks

Edited by RoarZ - 13 Mar 2012 at 2:29am
kenage View Drop Down

Quote kenage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 3:52am
There have been plenty of tests that show the Noctua air solution as equivocal to the H100 in terms of cooling performance at stock settings on the Sandy Bridge-E, but the H100 ought to out-perform with OCing.

For PSUs, the 1050W is more than enough to cover two 7970s. Bumping to three of them, the 1050 could be maxed out under full load situations.
The TDP of the 7970 under load is about that of the 570, at ~254W.
250x3 = 750, which gives you ~300W for the rest of the system, and under stress conditions the 3960X can pull ~311W with a 4.6GHz OC. The 3930K should perform very similarly. This scenario is worst case, with 100% utilization of three cards + cpu, but you still want a PSU capable of handling it, which means a 1200W.
— Kenage
MCTS, MCP, Security+, Network+
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
RoarZ View Drop Down

Quote RoarZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:18pm
And with that, it seems I possessed enough info to make a somewhat educated purchase!

Thanks a ton to kenage & bprat22 for all the patient help!
 Post Reply Post Reply