FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a new build

Post Date: 2015-07-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dorf View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dorf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for a new build
    Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 5:02pm
I purchased an i7 950 @ 4GHz (Still running OC to this day) with x58 mobo from DS maybe 5yrs ago and it has been wonderful; recently I upgraded the video card to a 780ti but I'm looking to replace my entire system if the gains are going to be significant...

Budget:
5,000.00 US

I don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse or speakers...

Expectations:
Amazing multi-purpose PC that I won't feel the need to upgrade/replace for another 5yrs!

Usage:
1. Gaming on high settings with 100+ FPS
2. VM environment for testing/debugging software (Typically have 2-3 VMs running at a time while testing so 32GB of memory is needed.)
3. Web broadcasting via OBS while gaming or demo'ing VMs
4. RAM drives for various testing

Special Needs:
1. Must have 32GB memory
2. Must have dual NICs

Saved Ticket #: Currently don't have one

Specifications:
I've been looking at the 4790K as a possible upgrade spot. The reason this chip appeals to me is the single and dual core performance edge over the new 5930K and 5960X chips as most applications and even games that I run tend to be written specifically for single/dual core usage.

As for motherboard, this is where I'm lost... there are so many choices. I've been happy with eVGA in the past but I've always wanted to try Asus.

I've never tried SLI before so I would be interested in this if it's worth the performance boost while gaming.

Games that I play are:
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars 2
SWTOR
Diablo 3

With plans on playing EverQuest Next and Star Wars Battlefront when they are released...

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 6:11pm
I'd hold off a couple months. If you can wait a little, many of the new Z170 boards coming out will have built-in dual NICs. They will also support DDR4 memory, which you can get 16GB DIMMs for, so you can get a 2 stick 32GB set-up or a 4 stick 64GB set-up.

As for motherboards, ASUS is known for having an excellent UEFI BIOS and have some good features in it. They also command a bit of a premium, too. Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, and EVGA all have good motherboards these days, so if you aren't going to be monkeying around with the BIOS much, any will do so long as they have the functionality to support the processor, memory, I/O, and add-in cards you desire.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 8:33am
Hi Dorf,

What resolution will you be using? Also what use do you have in mind for the Dual NICs? Will dual LAN ports on the mother board work or do you need dual NIC cards? Do you have a server that will inter face dual cards or ports? Need to know your setup a bit. Are you thinking one port up and one port down or just two parallel ports?

It seems to me that you would be better off with the X99 platform for your work. One thing I would be concerned about is the 4970K only has 20 PCIe lanes. Are you thinking about a PCIe SSD as a primary drive for the operating system and your work programs?

Your resolution will tell us a lot about what GPUs you might need. Are you locked in on your budget of $5000? Do you have a case in mind? You may have to get a Workstation Motherboard for the dual LAN connections if you don't use dual NIC cards. I am not sure what software you would need to operate dual NIC cards. Maybe you all ready know what software you will be running for dual NIC cards.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 04 Jul 2015 at 8:45am
Dorf View Drop Down

Quote Dorf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi Dorf,

What resolution will you be using? Also what use do you have in mind for the Dual NICs? Will dual LAN ports on the mother board work or do you need dual NIC cards? Do you have a server that will inter face dual cards or ports? Need to know your setup a bit. Are you thinking one port up and one port down or just two parallel ports?

It seems to me that you would be better off with the X99 platform for your work. One thing I would be concerned about is the 4970K only has 20 PCIe lanes. Are you thinking about a PCIe SSD as a primary drive for the operating system and your work programs?

Your resolution will tell us a lot about what GPUs you might need. Are you locked in on your budget of $5000? Do you have a case in mind? You may have to get a Workstation Motherboard for the dual LAN connections if you don't use dual NIC cards. I am not sure what software you would need to operate dual NIC cards. Maybe you all ready know what software you will be running for dual NIC cards.

Frank

Hi Frank,

My main monitor resolution is 1920x1080 24inch but will be upgrading to a 27in 1440p monitor in the near future (2-4 months). I will more than likely move the 1080p to my secondary monitor port.

The reason I need a dual NIC system is for my VM environment that runs through a VLAN switch that interacts with other systems on that VLAN, which is separate from my WAN/internet network. Currently I have an on-board NIC and PCIe NIC but would prefer to have them both on-board to free up a PCIe slot. So, to answer your question the NICs run in parallel with each other. One for the Windows host OS and one for VMWare which connects to it's own VLAN switch.

I wasn't planning on getting a PCIe SSD in the near future. I'm quite happy with the performance of the SATA SSDs right now.

My budget is fairly flexible, but I would prefer to not go over the 5k mark.

The case I've been eyeballing is the Corsair 750D or something similar to it. My original DS system uses a HAF X so I would consider that again too.

Mainly, my reasons for upgrading from my current rig to a newer gen processor and mobo is for a significant jump in single and dual core application performance. I would consider a significant jump to be greater than 50%. To add to this, I would also like to be able to game hassle free at or around 100 FPS at 1440p.

Hope this helps!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 2:27pm
Hi Dorf,

I know you were interestering in the 4790K CPU but I didn't see a motherboard that gives duel LAN ports with the ASUS software. They may be available but I didn't see any in a quick look. The motherboard in this build provides duel LAN ports and software. I have never worked a duel LAN setup but I think this will give you what you are looking for.

This is a general build that you can start with. You can load the configuration and adjust your memory, SSD choices and HDD choices. I thought you might want a bigger HDD for storage unless you use off board storage or the CLOUD.

The Apollo case is about the same size as the 750D but has more plastic in the construction. The 750D is a good choice but you will probably have to special order it. DS has the Hailstorm II (900D) but it is more oriented to a full liquid cooling system. If you wanted a mid-sized case then DS offers the Coridium which is the 450D. Or, the Slade that is a 550D. Lots of choices in the Obsidian series. One of my favorite DS cases is the Velox especially with air cooled GPUs.

I hope this gets you off to a good start.

Frank

Configuration Code: 1235288   Cost: $4357

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS (Intel X99 Chipset) (Workstation Class)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement

Edited by FrankW - 05 Jul 2015 at 2:27pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 7:39am
Hi Dorf,

How are you making out with your build?

Frank
Dorf View Drop Down

Quote Dorf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 1:57pm
Hey Frank, I ended up buying this build today: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1239321

It's not the X99 or 5th gen proc but after reading some reviews on the 4790K and Z97 Asus-Deluxe it seemed to fit my needs.

I went with the 980 Ti's over the 980s; not really sure why but it happened... lol

I hope I didn't screw it up.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 3:09pm
Hi Dorf,

That is a solid build. You did a good job. Welcome to the Digital Storm family.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 3:24pm
I agree with Frank. Real nice rig.
Dorf View Drop Down

Quote Dorf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 2:47pm
My new rig arrived today via UPS. There was some minor damage to the box it was shipped in but all the internals were packed nice and tight. All of the cabling is very professional and the case is amazing looking with no scuff marks or scratches! I took some pictures but not sure how to upload them...

I've only had one minor issue, and it really was minor, one of the Noctua 15 fans; the fan between the 2 towering heat syncs... it was rubbing against the power cable connected to the motherboard causing the fan to not spin properly. I unhooked it, fixed the cable and popped it back on with the help from another DS member.

I'm downloading some games right now to give it a full test but I just wanted to thank DS for another great experience!

Some nerd stuff for those interested:
Both video cards are idling around 30c
CPU is idling around 35.5c
Overclock on CPU is 4.3GHz
Motherboard temp reads around 26c

I can post load temps later this week if anyone really wants to see them.

Thanks again DS!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 2:59pm
AwesomeNice. Enjoy.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 3:00pm
Load temps would be great.

Post Reply Post Reply