FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for help on my first gaming PC

Post Date: 2015-11-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
randywsandberg View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for help on my first gaming PC
    Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 6:12pm
Budget:
Up to $2,600.00 or so. :-)

Expectations:
I'd like as quiet a PC as possible. But I'd also like to be able to easily obtain 60fps when pushing video to my 40" Sony HDTV (1920x1080) model #W600B while playing my favorite game as well as today's typical first person shooters.

Usage:
I'm more of a cyclist than I am a gamer. That said, my main game of choice can be found at Zwift.com. It's the gamification of indoor cycling. Where one places their bike in a trainer (e.g., Wahoo KICKR) and then rides all the while the game and their trainer are communicating back and forth via Ant+ wireless technology so that, for example, when there's a hill in the game the trainer simulates the grade of the hill. Plus, it's a massive multiplayer online game so hundreds of cyclists are able to ride/train/race together in a virtual world. It's really cool but needs a fast GPU to look and feel real. Plus, I'd also like to play, as stated above, today's typical first person shooters. But, my main goal is simply to ride my bike in a realistic as can be obtained non-4K way.

Special Needs:
Really quiet! Hence I am thinking about getting a Slade with a 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power) PSU as well as the AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance) cooler and upgrading all Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition models. Plus, Zwift only uses one GPU so I figure I should go all out and get the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) GPU.

Note that down the road, more likely 2017, I will get a 4K TV and most likely have to upgrade a bit. Maybe by then the game will use multiple GPUs!

Configuration Code: 1315267

Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,632.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

---
Anyway, THANKS A MILLION for any help you send my way. My last PC was powered by a 486DX processor so I am way out of my league here and just trying to catch up. Thank goodness I found Digital Storm and you guys. Whoot!

Sincerely,

Randy Sandberg

Edited by randywsandberg - 12 Nov 2015 at 12:39pm

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:59pm
On second thought, after reviewing DryRat's "New Gaming PC" post and responses, I have bumped up a few things including my budget. Now it's at $2,865.00:

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Thoughts?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 1:21pm
Hi randywsandberg..... Welcome to the forums.     Either build is excellent. Quality parts and top performers.   

For utmost in quiet, the 2nd build with its h110i cooler will require the top acoustic cover to remain off.   The 550d is quiet because it's a closed case with the top and side acoustic panels blocking the noise, and airflow to some degree. The h100i's 280mm rad will mount under the top and the fans need to exit the heat up and out.

The 1st build with Noctua will allow the top acoustic panel to remain on.   Plus the Noctua is the best for reliability and performs almost the same as the liquid coolers. Plus the Noctua is quiet.

Here's the rub.... The top mounted rad will increase airflow in the case which you might want if you plan on sli 980ti Strix.   The Strix custom fans dump its heat into the case and not out the back like a reference single fan card,

For quiet as a priority, I would opt for Noctua cooler. If you go sli Strix you can always deal with that later by adding fans to the top or side if needed.

Lots to consider and hope this helps.

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:06pm
Thanks a bunch bprat22. What you've said makes a lot of sense. I only strayed away from the Noctua because of DryRat's really solid sounding build. But, yes, I'll switch back to the Noctua cooler but keep the rest of my second build's parts. Hence my newly revised build:

Cost: $2,845
Configuration Code: 1315724

Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:18pm
P.S., My cycling game can be something I "play" for many hours. One day, once I am trained properly, up to 10 plus hours of riding will not be all to uncommon. All the while it is collecting data that will be used for analysis later and bragging rights as well! ;-) Plus, there are actual races where capturing the data is critical.

All this said, I do need as powerful a system as possible but more importantly I need a super reliable system that will stay as cool as possible (I say as cool as possible with the idea that a cooler system is less likely to crash, etc.).

This being said, I would happily, now that I think about it, trade some quietness and even power for cool solid reliability. Knowing this, is there anything I should change? For example, should I downgrade to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX) reference card? And/or say "No!" to a CPU Boost?

Thanks again in advance for all your help! :-)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:18pm
Nice.    That's the way I would go.

Also, no HDD?   The platter drive HDD will give you much less expensive storage for files not needing the speed of SSD. Like music, pics, older games, etc.    the 250gb might fill pretty quick, depending on your needs of course.

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:29pm
Ah, yes, the HDD. This machine will really only ever be used as a gaming machine. And, even though I like to think about playing other games, I hardly have enough time in the day for all the training I currently do let along once I am in a more competitive phase of my career. Thus, the only storage space I require is the operating system, Zwift, and maybe a demo download of a popular first person shooter.

Plus, I can always add another SSD or HDD if I repurpose this machine. Oh, and I have read enough of the forum posts to know to select the 1 or larger TB Western Digital - Black Edition HDD if I go that way! :-)

P.S., In regards to my reliability question above, please note, if needed, I would be more than willing to switch to a less quite but much cooler case such as the one the Apollo comes with.

Edited by randywsandberg - 12 Nov 2015 at 2:30pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:33pm
I would keep the over clocking for sure.   As far as the card, the Strix is tops in performance and quality build and I'd keep that also.   A single Strix shouldn't be any cooling issue with 550d.   By the time you decide to sli, you'd probably be updating to a newer much stronger single card instead of adding an older card at that time. New is always just around the corner.

For tops in reliability and no need to tweak settings, update firmware, etc. keep Noctua.   It just runs for years with no problems.   Not much to go wrong with a big block of cooling fins.

Be aware though, the Noctua is large and one of the fans might overhang a ram stick.   If you needed to remove the ram stick you might have to unclip and push aside the fan. No big deal, but an FYI.   

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:45pm
Perfect! Thanks again bprat22!!! I'll keep things as they are with my last posted build (i.e., Configuration Code: 1315724). As for keeping firmware and software in general updated, LOL, I am a Software Test Engineer by trade so I am pretty fanatical about doing just that. So no worries there. And THANKS for the knowledge about the possible fan/RAM removal issue. That's good to know.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:47pm
The Apollo, Corsair 760t, does have better airflow plus you can add internal lighting for the eye candy effect.   Nothing wrong with a great performing and flashy looking rig.    I would never sacrifice performance for eye candy but both are good in my book.   

Both cases work with your setup, but Apollo does give you more breathing room.   The Slade is a nice, neat looking case so depends what's important.

Tough calls.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:49pm
10 hours spinning? Dang, 30 minutes on my Nordic skier and I'm done.    

Edited by bprat22 - 12 Nov 2015 at 2:51pm

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 3:36pm
LOL, yes, lots of cycling. But, seriously, the time can go by really Zwiftly. As for the Apollo's Corsair 760t case, with more breathing room and eye candy, that sounds like a better way to go. So, here now is my latest revision based on all your help bprat22:

Cost: $2,873
Configuration Code: 1315776

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 3:43pm
P.S., I upgraded from the ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING to the ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard (+ $143) as well as from the 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series to the 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance) RAM (+ $57) because of all the posts I read on this forum. Just making sure, given what I am looking to use this computer for, that one or both of these upgrades makes sense. Or, if the money would be better spent elsewhere. Note that I myself have zero ideas of doing any kind of overclocking.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:15am
i think you were fine with the less expensive mobo.  it has high speed USB/LAN/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Storage/Multi-card SLI support/High-end 8-channel audio.  you're not going for high overclocks on an air cooler anyways.  if you're going for high overclocks you're going to want a case that supports a 360mm radiator. i don't believe that either the Apollo or the Slade cases can handle that.  you'll have to look into a Velox (sacrificing noise) or Hailstorm (Corsair 950D).  sticking with the "silent" preference the Slade (Corsair 550D) case is the quietest.  you can even run the fans at 100% speed and barely hear it.  noise, is of course, subjective.  i've seen that case in person and it's beautiful/well-constructed.  i've heard the sound of the fans @100% speed via YouTube vids and it's amazingly quiet! 

i like the ram upgrade. the LPX have an XMP (extreme memory profile) that the generic memory doesn't. 

the cooling performance reviews of the Corsair 550D suggest it offers middling thermal performance compared to its peers.  i worry with 2 Strix edition cards in this case.  you might be better served going with a reference 980ti, especially if you plan to add another in the future.  the hot air will be pushed out the rear via the I/O instead of dumped into the case with the Strix.  another option would be to use an expandable hybrid liquid cooler like the Swiftech H220/240X  that can cool both the cpu and video cards.   the 550D will support 240mm and 120mm rads. 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 2:32am
I also would stick with the original mobo and ram if saving a few bucks is important. Not sure if the DS generic has XMP, db might've asked DS, but XMP does make for easier setup.   

The Pro mobo, unless I'm missing it, doesn't have WIFI, but I don't believe that's a concern either way.

Good luck.   Nice rig.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:01am
my bad i was looking at the z170i Pro Gaming Oops
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:13am
Yeah, there's a ton of different mobo to try to keep up with. Not sure how we hold it together.   

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:34am
Thanks bprat22 and db188, given what you've said here, I'll stick with the original ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING mobo but keep the 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance) RAM upgrade in place. Plus I will switch back to the SLADE case but just keep the reference NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX) GPU. Oh, and bprat22, I am adding in a HDD just in case I need it!

Price: $2,790
Configuration Code: 1316161

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX)

Edited by randywsandberg - 13 Nov 2015 at 9:37am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:46am
Did you just change/edit the 980 to the 980 ti?  Big%20Smile  I was just going to check with you about it when the change went through.  

I even copied a link to show the difference between the 2 cards.  

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1442?vs=1496

I think you nailed it with this build.  Strong

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Nov 2015 at 9:46am

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:46am
One other thing, given what was said above about the quietness of SLADE case (i.e., Corsair Obsidian 550D) even with fans blowing at 100%, again as an attempt to save some money, would I be okay dropping the 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power) PSU down to the 750W EVGA SuperNOVA PSU and dropping the Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) back down to the stock Standard Factory Chassis Fans?

Thanks again for all the help with my newbie questions! :-)

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 9:47am
LOL, yes bprat22, you caught my typo before I fixed it! I messed up and left the default 980 GPU in my post then edited it back to the reference 980 Ti model!!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 10:00am
If you plan on just the single 980ti then, yep, drop back to the 750watt psu.  Don't pick the 750 B1, but the other EVGA 750 for another $43.   A more efficient psu with much longer warranty.  You'd want the 1000 watt for sli. 

I would keep the stock fans, although I can't remember what type they are.  I have to go a hunting later.  . 

For better airflow once you get it, remove the middle HDD cage so the fans have an unrestricted run to the mobo.  The bottom cage stays with your HDD,SSD.  Mention in Special Instructions on the bottom of the config you want the drives in the bottom cages.  

Hahaha   We're pretty quick around here.    

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 10:17am
If my quick check is accurate, the stock fans are 38cfm at 21dba , and the Performance upgrade are 68cfm at 24dba.     Static pressure is about the same for pushing the air through things.

I change my vote and would get the Performance fans for that case.

Big%20Smile

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 10:31am
Thanks bprat22, okay, I will drop down to the other EVGA 750 (the + $43 dollar one) and keep the upgraded fans as well as ask them to install the drives in the bottom cages:

Cost: $2,682
Configuration Code: 1316192

Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX)

===
Thanks again for all your help!!!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm
grats on finalizing your build!Awesome
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 2:53pm
Congrats and stay in touch.   

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:31pm
Thanks a million guys. Much appreciated. And note there's no way I could have gotten this far without your expert assistance!!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 3:45pm
Our pleasure.   

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 8:11am
Thanks again for all your help. I do have one more question. I would also like to have a desktop monitor for when I am not pushing video to my 40" Sony 1080p HDTV for my Zwift game. That said, what 2K monitor would you recommend for gaming as well as general web work? By trade, I am a Software Test Engineer so the bulk of my time is spent staring at and critiquing websites we build. For example, what are your thoughts on an Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q monitor? Elsewhere on the Net I have seen both good and really bad write ups on it but I have also seen lots of people here on these forums say they bought one. So I am a bit confused. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 10:49am
I haven't spend any time looking and comparing monitors in a few years.  Still on my Dell U2311H for 4 years.  IPS for color and resolution and it works for me.  

Hopefully other with more experience can chime in.   Big%20Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 12:56pm
that's an older model with a TN panel strictly for gaming.  its updated brother is the PG279Q (otherwise known as the ROG Swift IPS).  all the same goodness+HDMI connectivity (in addition to display port) on an IPS panel! 

if you want something bigger, with wider FoV, try looking at the Acer Predator X34.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 1:23pm
Looks pretty sweet!
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 12:35pm
Thanks again everyone for your advice! :-)

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 7:01pm
Okay, now that Black Friday deals have come, I am just about ready to click the BUY button:

Cost: $2,721
Configuration Code: 1324788

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED (140mm) Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)

My only followup question is, now that I am going to get the ASUS 980Ti Strix Edition GPU but also going to get the Apollo case, is the AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance) still the way to go?

Quote randywsandberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 7:04pm
Oh, and I still don't know what 2K monitor to buy to best utilize my new PC for both work (text has got to look really good!) and, of course, gaming too. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>