Looking into A DS computer

Post Date: 2007-08-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Trevail View Drop Down
  Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking into A DS computer
    Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 6:03pm
Hello, last few days I have been working the configurations on the site to find a decnt computer set up. I realized after reading the forums here and elsewhere that there is alot more to it than just choosing what sounds good. I thought I would come here for some help on deciding what I need.

First off I'm limited to about $1200, I would go $1300 but I want to make sure I have enough for 3 day air service as ground service here in Ga is not very good. The computer would be in terrible shape after our ground driver got done with it :). I really wish you guys used Fed-Ex, much better here. Anyways back on topic. I'm looking for a decent gaming computer for LOTRO, Everquest 2, Fear, Oblivion. I would like to be able to use high settings, maybe not all of them but at least better than I'm used to on Medium or below.

My computer now is quite old. Pentium 4 2.4g, 2 gigs of ram, a cheap 6600 video card with 256 memory, and a low end Creative sound card. Surprisingly it still runs most games pretty well, only game that brought it to its knees so far was Vanguard :). So you can see it would not take much to improve what I have.

A few things, I like to stick to Intel and nvidia because I have always had good luck with them and not willing to try anything different as long as I'm happy with them. I know I want at least 2 gigs of memory, defintely XP, have Vista at work and hate it. I do not need a cd burner, have a great external one. Also would like to stay around 300 to 400 in HD size, don't keep many games on the machine so don't need anything to big. I also know I don't want overclocking as I like to keep my computers within normal operating parameters. I'm not fussy on the case as long as it has room to upgrade at some point. A plain one is fine as long as it has decent fan cooling and helps keep the price down. I'm the only one who ever sees the computer so flashy looks don't interest me :).

I hope I'm not being to picky, just know there are some things I do like and want. Other than that I'm hoping someone can help me find one that falls into my range. I appreciate all advice that anyone is willing to give.

Brent
Robert View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 6:27pm
Take a look at this configuration. I think it has everything you will need to play the games you mentioned above at moderate settings. Some of them high, some medium depending on the resolution your playing on.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Robert - 09 Aug 2007 at 6:28pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 7:09pm
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=72373

Get the 680i if you plan on using SLI. If not, 650i is fine.

You can downgrade to 1GB of ram if you want to take the ram from your current computer and use it in this one.

E6850, best dual core processor atm.

8600 GTS is complete garbage compared to 8800 GTS.

I think you're fine with 80GB unless you never delete stuff. You can always add another HDD in the future when you need it.

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Trevail View Drop Down
  Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 7:23pm
Thanks Robert and Skye for the configs. I'm not big on the 8600 cards, don't plan to buy dx10 games and the card that I do like the 7950 with 512k you don't carry. In every test I have seen for the type of games I play 8600 series just gets beat to much by to many of the 7 series.

I will concider both configs and any others that anyone wants to post. Hopefully will make up my mind, though if you carried the 7950 512k it would make it easier, everything else I liked.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 10:27pm
I believe we might have a few of these left in excess inventory. Give us a call and we will do our best to help you out.
GruntMaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GruntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 2:19am
I wouldn't blow the dough on air freight...you can if you want to, but I would not. I ordered a computer from another company and it shipped ground by Fed Ex and it was very well packaged...it showed up cracked on the front door in two places and it was DOA. It's a crap shoot what kind of a package handler you'll get. You don't know if the air freight guys will monkey toss your system off the plane and onto the truck or if the ground shipping will yield a broken system either. It's covered by the warranty. If the shippers damage it...it can go back for a rebuild...the only problem is that you're system will have traveled more miles than Lewis and Clark by the time it's been sent back to you the second time...unless you live in the Bay area.

I also work at a company that uses Fed Ex to ship. We are the largest Fed Ex shipping business in Spokane WA. Fed Ex won't get products their in any better of a condition than UPS...We used to use UPS and they both have about the same failure rate for products showing up damaged.

If I were you I would just have it shipped ground for free.
E6850 [email protected]
nVidia 680i LT
750W Thermaltake
250GB HD
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Larry View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 8:00am
I concur with GruntMaster as FedEx, UPS and DHL all are about the same.  It all depends on who is happy and who is mad when they handle your package.
CapnBiggles View Drop Down

Quote CapnBiggles Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 8:15am
Everything sent UPS for me was destroyed or damaged. Everything sent FedEx was in phenomenal shape, without fail, for almost three years going now.

Of course, I use FedEx Express services, which may be different?

Oh, and as someone else said, if you have the chance to use an 8800 over an 8600 do so.

Edited by CapnBiggles - 10 Aug 2007 at 8:16am
Trevail View Drop Down
  Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 8:40am
Thanks for all the replies, will call and check on the 7950 as I would prefer it over the 8600. Even though the 8800 is alot better than the 7950 I would still rather have the 7950 do to compatabilty. In EQ2 and LOTRO I have heard alot of people say that there 8 series cards just do not perform as well as they should. I guess the devs for those games just did not take advantage of the 8's? Thanks for all the help and if they do have a 7950 in stock I will probabally be buying from DS. I really like how you guys help your customers on these forums.

On the shipping side, I pretty much can NOT go ground for UPS, I know our driver for this area and he just really has a thing against electronics. We have had 2 tv's, one stereo system, and a couple of business computers shipped here and every time he has managed to damage them. Of course UPS always just says "Not packaged right". The air delivery guy though is really nice and things come in better on him.

Thanks again for all the advice, looks like in a day or two I will be ordering my first DS computer :).
GruntMaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GruntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 9:53am
You must have got this guy for a local delivery person for UPS...

E6850 [email protected]
nVidia 680i LT
750W Thermaltake
250GB HD
2GB DDR2 Corsair 800Mhz XMS2
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Larry View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 7:57pm
That was pretty good GruntMaster!  I think that I have met him a few times.
Trevail View Drop Down
  Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2007 at 7:59pm
Well I have finally narrowed down the computer I will be getting with Robert's help. He even found me a 7950 512k that I was wanting and still kept the computer in my price range. Thanks again Robert, and to everyone that gave me advice here on the forums.

Brent

p.s. GruntMaster that video is almost exactly what are driver is like...well close, he does love to throw :). Gave the people in my office a good laugh .

Post Reply Post Reply