Maintenance/Upkeep

Post Date: 2015-10-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Maintenance/Upkeep
    Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 12:54pm
D'oh! I've got to stop hitting the back button on my mouse, losing my entire post Cry

I'm noticing a substantial amount of dust buildup on the top of my rig - Hailstorm II, Corsair 900D case. I can't blow compressed air from the outside in, as I don't want to get more dust onto the internal components, and I'm also concerned it might just exacerbate the issue/clog the filter. This is where the fans blow air out of the case.

I took the side of the case off, and it looks like an air filter almost, but it has the hoses attached to it (is it the heatsink/RAD?), so I don't know that it's an easy "pull-out-and-fix". Any tips for how to keep my beauty clean and shiny? I regularly take care of the intake fans at the bottom of the case, but I'm having issues with the ones at the top.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:14pm
Chances are that's the rad mounted under the top. It might have the fans mounted below or sandwiched between the rad and top panel.   Blow the air from the inside out, through both the rad and fans. Short bursts.   Then wipe the top down.    If you were adventurous you could remove the rad/fans but that's if you're comfortable pulling things apart.

Have fun.    Good chance the rads need a cleaning before temps climb.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:27pm
When you blow through the radiator/fans have a vacuum sucking up the dust you blow out. Do the same when you blow air on the interior of the case. Have the vacuum collecting the dust so it doesn't resettle on the equipment. It sounds like you need to blow/vacuum a little more often.

Frank
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:33pm
It does appear that way. I thought i was tending to it frequently enough. Apparently since the last cleaning, one of the bottom fans broke; looks like one of the prongs snapped off. Would dust buildup do this? Picture to come, need to resize it.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 2:11pm
Picture of broken fan prong.

Edited by Eggy - 17 Oct 2015 at 2:13pm
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 2:15pm
Also, similar issue with what I'm assuming is another heat sink (or filter?) just behind these fans on the bottom. Can't figure out a good way to clean. Compressed air doesn't seem to knock anything out of it, as it is situated behind the fans. I just cleaned everything manually using a Q-tip to the best of my ability, but can only reach so much of it.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 2:24pm
Doubtful dust buildup broke the blade.   The fan would normally stall and burn out before that.   

If you can, hold the fan blade while directing the canned air directly into the rad cooling fins. That is the rad and its cooling fins and not a filter.    Use the straw that comes with the canned air to better direct it.    If in doubt if it's clogged, shine a flashlight through it or use your hand or a piece of paper on the other side to see if the air is getting through.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 4:07pm
i got myself one of these to blow out my case: https://www.metrovacworld.com/DataVac_Electric_Duster-ED500/overview.  a lot more efficient than compressed air canisters.

i doubt dust buildup caused that broken fan blade.  more like a defect that gave way after prolonged use.  just replace it with the right sized fan. 

pro tip: unplug power to your rig and tilt it on one side, then blow out the top rad/fans.  dust won't come down and settle onto the rig that way.  it won't hurt your system in the least.  also, you should remove the rad fans every once and awhile to clean off the dust that accumulates in/under and around them.   

Edited by db188 - 17 Oct 2015 at 4:08pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 4:20pm
Thanks both of you for the tips. I'll try the tilt trick for the RAD& cooling fins on top. The set on the bottom is going to be a bit tougher, as I believe it will require removing the set of three fans (as well as the Digital Storm baseplate below all the components). Any idea if there's a video, or instructions somewhere for this? I'm happy to take it apart, but I'd rather have direction before I just go unscrewing everything and then wind up with a disassembled rig that I can't use.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 5:29pm
i don't think you need to take apart the case or anything just to do simple dust house-keeping.  if you really want to get every speck of dust and get the system back to pristine condition, you're going to have to pull out almost the entire cooling system (rads/fans/etc.).  that's a couple days of work (drain the loop, take out the rads, remove all of the fans, clean, put it all back together). 

the rad fans should be easy-just unscrew the 4-points and lay them aside (you can even keep them connected if the wires are long enough to allow laying them flat).  if you need to disconnect the fans completely they're just a 3 or 4-pin leading to either the mobo header or a fan hub/extender.  if you need to remove that DS base plate, i'm sure it just held in by some screws, it shouldn't be a big deal but you can contact DS specifically for that.  the case is just a Corsair 900D, so you can probably easily find a bunch of videos of people building inside it for more on that. 

edit: forgot to mention, it looks like there's a fan bracket in front of the fan-mounted rads, easy enough to remove the screws that mount it to the fans, before removing the fans themselves.

Edited by db188 - 17 Oct 2015 at 5:40pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply