FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marauder Level 3 Update! :D

Post Date: 2012-07-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheShattered View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Marauder Level 3 Update! :D
    Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 11:03am
*******************EDIT************
See newest post! Thanks :)
Budget:
800-1200$ (Not including 21.5 Full HD back-lit LED monitor, Sidewinder X4 keyboard, CoolerMaster DPI switch mouse, and Genesis Audio 2.1 system ;D )

Expectations:
Essentially everything the Spec OPS Marauder level 3 has. It seems pretty much exactly what I want, as I'm just getting back into PC gaming.

Usage:
Modern games with nice settings and smooth framerates. Obviously word-processing, web browsing and the like, but any computer can handle that haha.

Special Needs:
I live in AZ and the ambient temperature in my room runs pretty warm and I want my system to stay cool.

Saved Ticket #: 706985
---------------------------------------------------------------
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Marauder - Level 3
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 600W Corsair GS
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
--------------------------------------------

With all that being said I did have a couple of questions;
I understand that these systems are pre-built and all that good stuff but would I be able to have you guys (DS) add some upgrades to the rig? IE some internal lighting and a non-stock CPU fan?

If not what are your guys' recommendation for aftermarket stuff I can drop in this rig? Cuz I know how to do all the hard stuff, frankly I just don't have the time with my job.

I have been cruising the interwebs for about a month now and I have been amazed by this company and website. I've checked prices EVERYWHERE, contemplated building my own rig, looked at other custom PC builders, but literally nothing can even to compare to the prices or the reputation of this site. I also am pretty excited to see how the famed customer support really is.

Thanks DS community!
*******************EDIT************
See newest post! Thanks :)

Edited by TheShattered - 25 Jul 2012 at 5:24pm

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 11:19am
Just as an afterthought- I should add games I wanna be playing. Diablo 3, (even if everyone says it sucks I still wanna try it for myself!), Empire Total War, Tera, Borderlands, Rage, and most likely whatever other random games I try and like on steam.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 11:25am
Hi TheShattered.....Welcome to the forums.

For your budget the Marauder lvl 3 will give you some great gaming on the 21" monitor.  I'm assuming its 1920x1080 or 1680x1050, and for that, the games you mentioned should play on high to max settings real smooth.  The 15-3570k chip and HD 7850 card are very good.

DS will allow some add-ons but they charge $50 per change plus the part, usually.

For an after market cooler, DS uses the Corsair A50 and CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO which for no overclocking or a stage 1 oc will handle things just fine. 

Here's an example of internal lighting for the case.  Lots to pick from .

Good luck and keep us updated.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Jul 2012 at 11:36am

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 4:10pm
Sweet, thanks bprat!

I'm thinking if I want an aftermarket fan I will drop it in myself, unless they are drastically different from the ones I dropped into my rig 6 years ago. If they are different and or a part that is easy to do incorrectly I'll just have DS do em.

I took a look at newegg per your link (btw newegg is my favorite website nowadays) and was wondering if anyone has had experience with something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800888036

versus something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800888059

I think a green glow would look fantastic with my Marauder level 3 :D.

If you have experience with these lighting fixtures lemme know what you guys think!

Edited by TheShattered - 11 Jul 2012 at 8:36pm
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 8:09pm
Check out this site www.performance-pcs.com   They got it all and them some.

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:00pm
Hey peeps- an update!

I have decided on the Marauder level 3, and before adding anything aftermarket I will run it for a week or so as is.
Looking forward to putting my order in!

thanks for you guys' help.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:40pm
Very nice.   Stay in touch.

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 11:58am
An interesting turn of events may have changed my mind. The 300 dollar off sale on custom rigs is intriguing me- Would it be a huge jump in performance if I went with the epoch level 1 as opposed to the marauder level 3 or 4? I could wait a bit longer till I have the extra 200 bucks but I want to know if it will make a significant difference. If not, I'm perfectly happy with the Marauder level 3 and saving those 200 bucks, and having my rig 2 weeks sooner

Edited by TheShattered - 14 Jul 2012 at 12:00pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 1:19pm
The Epoch level 1, other than cpu overclocking, won't give you much over the Marauder 3.  The gtx 570 in epoch 1 and the HD 7850 have very similar performance. 
As far as Maruader 4, here's a link that compares the 7850 in M3 with 7870 in M4.

A big jump in gaming would be the ODE 1 with the gtx 670 card.  I'm good at spending your money LOL but if your willing to go another $200 right now  for Epoch 1 another $100 will get you ODE lvl1 with the gtx 670 and overclocking and a better case for cooling.  Just a thought but I do understand the limited budget.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Jul 2012 at 1:23pm

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 1:26pm
Love that website, and that helps a lot bprat! I'm gonna stick with the M3.

BTW your title says verified customer but with the amount of help you've been giving me I'd say you should be promoted to "DS Verified Expert."

thanks again.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 2:44pm
My pleasure.   Thanks.

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Jul 2012 at 2:45pm
xZealotx11 View Drop Down

Quote xZealotx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 7:35pm
I've owned the marauder level 3 for about a week now and its exceeded all my expdctations.. boot time is fast and overall response of the system is silky smooth.. I can max out skyrim, mw3, Diablo 3, league of legends, starcraft 2, and battlefield 3... BF3 with some settings on high.. all @ 1920x1080.. it's an amazing computer which I thoroughly recommend to anyone with the budget.. also my temps are around 60 on average sometimes hits 70 after hours while gaming and while doing normal things like browsing web and documentation is high 28s sometimes hits 31, 32 you will not be dissapointed.. the only thing I'm wondering is if I'm able to drop a gtx 670 into it later if I want?? Anyone know?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 5:17am
Hi xZealotx11......The Marauder 3 will take a gtx 670 no problem, replacing the 7850.  Can't use both just to be clear which you probably know.  No offense please.Big%20Smile

Quote xZealotx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 6:11am
Thanks bprat.. I thought I had read somewhere that the motherboard or something like that wouldn't accept.it... Alright cool ill probably do that sometime soon..

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:02pm
Hooray! After running into the anti-fraud ordering deal (which is well deserved, seeing as my billing address was different than the delivery address), my computer is now in stage 1.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:25pm

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 6:59pm
I got the level 4 update just this afternoon and now I just received a level 7 update!!!
I will post a full video review when I get this beast

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 12:33pm
Here is a question for you DS employee types :P

What should I expect after I get the stage 7 update? Is my computer on its way?? Or will I receive like a tracking number and such once it ships out?

I'm seriously so pumped for this! I'm getting my camera ready so I can do this video review, I'll link it here once I get it- as well as on the "Customer Reviews" section of the forums.   

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm
Haha too late!
My computer has been shipped!!!!

Quote xZealotx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 5:22am
Oh yea i forgot to mention it boots up in literally under 20 seconds.... and its not even a SSD

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:00am
Haha that's so awesome....

Quick question for all you guys- I have internets all set up in my apt, but I'm wondering if doing a wired connection is superior to a wireless. For me, a wired connection would require some in-wall rewiring in two rooms whereas the wireless would require just popping in a new card.

Anyone have recommendations on a good wireless card that is compatible with my rig? I should be receiving it today while I'm at work.... I'm SO pumped.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:57am
Hi Shattered,

Hardwired is always better than wireless. What I would do is hardwire the room that you play games in. Use the wireless for Internet and other computer activities at other locations.

Frank

Quote xZealotx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:58am
i would use the ethernet personally but wireless wont be much slower if any.. ive noticed with this computer my internet speed is actually faster/smoother than on my alienware m11x.. seems like the newer hardware and everything helps with the speed.. not sure if this is a confirmed thing with internet and hardware tho.. its significantly faster than on my m11x

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 2:43pm
My rig came in today! SO excited to boot it up!

In other news- upon further investigation, my condo isn't wired throughout for a wired network connection. Bummer. However, I made myself a super long cat5 wire to run from my room allll the way downstairs to the router, haha. Its temporary, but I'm hoping its all good. I have a good wireless adapter on its way.

Updates, pictures and a video review to come! Stay turned DS fans. :D

Edited by TheShattered - 31 Jul 2012 at 2:43pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 3:05pm
Congrats and anxious to hear and see your review.    ENJOY.

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:07pm
First post from my new rig! Downloading all games now....

Will update whenever I stop being so dang excited to use this beast!

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 2:10pm
Quick question for any audio-knowledgeable people.

I got a decent 2.1 speaker set for this rig and was using it on my Macbook air before I got my marauder. However, once I plugged em into my marauder, the sound quality was terrible! Super tinny and the sound wasnt fleshed out at all- like only the highs were coming through, and even then they sounded far away And I know the speakers are good because I used them for about 3 weeks on my macbook for light gaming, and lots and lots of music listening, as I am also a musician. They handled everything from hardcore dubstep to classical and sounded great.

Is it because I'm using the motherboard for sound? I've messed with the settings for the sound, but the interface kinda sucks, to be honest.

Anyone with any tips?
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 2:53pm
Go into Control Panel and look for the one that says Sound. Click on that tab. Go to playback tab and right click that tab to configure your speakers. Just pick your speakers, 2.1, 4.1,5.1,7.1 speakers. You can also test your speakers. 

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 4:39pm
Sounds good, I haven't spent much time fooling with them but I will give that a try. Right now some cheesy looking control thing comes up in the taskbar when I plug them in. But I will look at the control panel asap. thanks surf!
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm
Thats your speaker volume. Put your mouse arrow right on top of it. Right click it. Hit playback devices. Right click that and you have your speaker selection.

Quote TheShattered Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 10:26am
I looked at all that stuff and it isn't giving me a lot of options for adjustment or anything like that. I'll send some screenshots when I get the time, but does anyone else know if there is anything else I could do to boost my sound quality?
 Post Reply Post Reply