FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Max PCIe lanes and phys space in this config?

Post Date: 2015-09-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
t20150908 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote t20150908 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Max PCIe lanes and phys space in this config?
    Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:07pm
Budget:
N/A

Expectations:
Maximum PCIe lanes and necessary physical space for all components

Usage:
N/A

Special Needs:
Maximum PCIe lanes and necessary physical space for all components

Saved Ticket #: N/A

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core)
Memory: 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX
Storage Set #1: SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express)
Graphics Cards: 2x SLI Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)

My question is in regard to whether the ASUS X99 Rampage V USB 3.1 has the physical spacing required to accommodate two TITAN X's in SLI configuration along with an Intel 750 PCI-E 400GB SSD. I have read reviews that the Rampage V has a space limitation preventing certain configurations from working; they would conflict in the space on the motherboard and installation is impossible. (See articles about the separately-sold "HyperKit". Will this be included, if necessary, in a DigitalStorm purchase?)

Is this specific configuration able to be achieved with the ASUS X99 Rampage V? If not, what is the speed difference in using an "Intel SSD mini-SAS (400GB Intel 750 Series) (2.5 inch - NVM Express)" versus the "Intel SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express)"? What is the Intel PCI-E lane allocation, given I am trying to achieve the maximum lane usage with the dual TITAN X cards in SLI? The i7 5930K has 40 PCI-E lanes, so I assume this is enough to accommodate all three components. Is that correct?

Finally, if I order such a configuration from DigitalStorm, will I be guaranteed:
(1) Correct and maximum PCI-E lane allocation for all components, rather than an incorrect/non-optimal configuration?
(2) What brand are the TITAN X'es? Can I opt for a specific brand?
(3) Is the OC Panel that comes with the Rampage V also pre-installed in the case?

I have been seriously considering such a purchase for a long time (I would be a first-time DigitalStorm customer) and am debating whether to do it myself so that I know it is done correctly, versus paying the DigitalStorm premium to avoid the labor myself. Would DigitalStorm be willing to coordinate the purchase beforehand to assure me, the customer, that everything will be installed, configured, and arrive as expected?

Finally, can I opt for a no-OS install so that I do not have to pay for yet another Windows license? I have many spare Windows licenses lying around that I can use on a new system. Can I instead opt for no Windows license and a blank drive on arrival (with only drivers/DigitalStorm installation media included for my convenience?)

Edited by t20150908 - 08 Sep 2015 at 10:48am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:57pm
1) If PCIE_X8_4 is used for the PCIe SSD, then you should still have x16/x16 for a two-way SLI...that same bandwidth is shared with the M.2 slot, so either way it should work. The slot would be blocked if a 3-slot card were used, but no Titan X cards have a 3-slot cooler on them.

2) All Titan X cards are reference design. DS sources the cards from multiple vendors, but the performance will be the same, regardless.

3) I've seen them install the OC panel on computers with 5.25" slots in them, so I think it is possible.

They are pretty open to communications, so you can work with them to get the exact configuration you need.
 Post Reply Post Reply