FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

memory question

Post Date: 2016-12-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Krenic989 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Krenic989 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: memory question
    Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:36pm
Hello last year i bought a vanquish 4 lvl 2 gaming PC that came with 8GB of system memory and a 600w evga/corsair power supply. i am looking to upgrade my memory as now if i try and download any new games it says i need more disk space. my question is if i buy a 16GB memory card will i be able to run it off the 600W power supply? i really am a dunce when it comes to stuff like this so i want to make sure everything is going to work and the rig isnt going to blow up on me or something hah. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:06am
ANSWER #1:
Tom's Hardware forum answered question tells me that each memory stick will average about 2 watts, 2.5 watts max. Size does not matter. Two 8 GB sticks = 16 GB will draw same power as two 16 GB sticks = 32 GB. Steady-state, of course. What you should ask is the number of sticks, not the overall memory capacity.

ANSWER #2:
pcpartpicker.com tells me that 2x4GB = 8GB draws 5 watts. And that 2x8GB=16GB draws 11 watts. Which suggests that every 4 GB of memory uses about 2.5 watts. More GB will draw more power, which contradicts the answer in the Tom's Hardware forum.
======

I thought I could look this up for you rather easily, and I did but I could not verify which answer is correct.   I trust pcpartpicker.com more, for this question. You can go to their site and input exactly what memory sticks you have (brand, size, x2, etc) and pcpartpicker will tell you the watts required. In fact, you can input ALL of your hardware to see how close you are to your CPU' s max load.

Edited by forrest74 - 23 Dec 2016 at 12:32am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 2:47am
Disk space is different than memory ram. By disk space they mean the SSD or HDD your trying to install the game on.   If you have a small SSD, like a 120 Gb for example, you might be running out of room and need to specify the HDD to install to.

Adding memory won't effect your power supply. It's pretty much nothing.
Krenic989 View Drop Down

Quote Krenic989 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 3:57pm
Hi thank you for the information. looking at my computer specs i do indeed have a ssd 120 gb samsung 850 evo.
in my storage set two however i have a 1tb7200 rpm 64mb cache. so how do i go about using the other one?
 Post Reply Post Reply