Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Memory Stress Testing
    Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:41pm
This is an extention of the Technical Support Guide found here

There are lots of different RAM testers, several different ones actuallly called MemTest, but I find that the easiest one to run is Memtest from HCI
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ since in runs in windows.

To test your ram, follow the HCI link above and download the application. The most efficient and quickest way to run it is to open 1 memtest for every logical thread you have.

Close all other programs.

Find your processor below:
For the i7 655k and 750, this will be 4 windows (the 750 chip does not have hyperthreading, so it is only 4 logical cores, the 655 has 2 physical cores+hypertheading, so 4 total)

For the i7 860, 870, 875k, 920, 930, 940, 950, 960.. this will be 8 windows (these chips all have 4 physical cores, and with hyperthreading, each physical core functions as 2 logical cores)

For the i7 965, 970, 980, this will be 12 windows (these chips all have 6 physical cores, and with hyperthreading, each physical core functions as 2 logical cores. so 12 total)

Press control alt delete and move to the Performance tab.
Now that you have 8 memtests open and your performance tab, you screen should look like this:

Now all you need to do is look at the amount of "availible memory", in this case, the number is 2658. We will divide this number by 8. So 2658/8 = 332.
Take this number, 332, and enter it in the first SEVEN memtests windows, and click Start Testing in each window. Once the first 7 windows have started, click "Start testing" on the 8th window while it still says "All Unused Ram"
Then all you have to do is wait!
100% on all 8 windows = ok
500% = good
1000% = great!

If your memtest FAILS, please look in the Technical Assistance Guide under "resetting you bios" found here (link). This could mean your overclock is unstable.

If you reset the bios to default and run this test again, and it STILL fails, one of your ram sticks is possibly bad. It is best at this point to contact Digital Storm. Tech Support at http://digitalstormonline.com/customerservice.asp

If you pass the testing with your BIOS at default, the overclock was unstable. Post in the Performance/Overclocking section for help or contact Digital Storm to help you troubleshoot.

Edited by !ender_ - 22 Sep 2010 at 12:09am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:24pm
Go here to download hci memtest

Personally I like to use the number of logical cores, aka how many cores the system actually has.

So in short if you have a 4 core cpu then run 4 insistences of hci and if you have a 6 core then run 6 insistences and if you have a 8 core cpu then run 8 insistences.

Then simply run task manager (ctrl+alt+delete, then choose run Task Manager),(you can simply add a shortcut to task manager to your desktop for ease of access so either go to your system32 folder and create a shortcut for it,or just download this to your desktop and run it, it will add a shortcut to your desktop for you, once task manager is running go to its performance tab and under the graphs you should see "Physical Memory(MB)" in this section look under "Free" and whatever ram is free divide it between the insistences of hci you have open, keep in mind at this point you have shutdown all the program and only background stuff like anti virus is running so your free ram should be a good amount (about 90% - 80% of your total ram).

If your free ram is under 60% - 70% make a post on the forums and let us look at your background tasks, you seem to have too much stuff running in the background.

Now after you divided the total free ram between the instances of hci you have open, run those instances, this is what you want to follow:

1. Test until 100% coverage (a quick test to make sure your RAM is functioning reasonably)

2. Test for 1 hour (this will catch everything except intermittent of errors)

3. Test overnight (recommended; your computer is not doing anything else at night anyway, why not be absolutely sure your RAM is good?)

Before I reset my bios or anything like that I would first come and make a post in the forums or contact DS and ask for some help.

Keep in mind that hci or any test you do from inside windows can not check every sector of the ram, to do that you need an app that you can boot off of a cd before windows starts.

such app is Memtest+:

Memtest86+

if you need help on Memtest please make a post and one of us will be happy to walk you thru.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 10:15am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:52pm
Thanks for posting this DST4ME.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:37pm
My pleasure Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply