FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Microsoft Security Essentials

Post Date: 2012-01-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
e11eventoes View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote e11eventoes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials
    Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 1:30pm
I've been using this for the past year, along with firefox noscript plugin. I've had my share with norton and zone alarm, but they seem to slow down and get in the way things. MSE has been great. Is MSE enough or do I need to better protect my computer? Just asking since I'll be getting my first DS system hopefully soon.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 5:08pm
I just cleaned a friends pc with MSE in it.

I like use and recommend ESET Smart Security, it has a 30 day full free trial, try it first then buy a license after 30 days I love it and highly recommend it.

that would cover av and firewall for anti spyware you want Malwarebytes

with both of those 90% of your protection will come from commonsense.
6foot4geek View Drop Down

Quote 6foot4geek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:04pm
I've been using MSE for the last year as well, after brief stints using/testing, Sophos, Vipre, and AVG. Hands down my fav, it's free, does the job, and I have yet to have a clients machine running MSE go down with an actual virus.

And like DST4ME said, Malwarebyes is a phenomenal anti-spyware. I run Malwarebyes and ccleaner about once a month along with MSE and I've never had a major problem.

Goodluck!
Tøxie View Drop Down

Quote Tøxie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 6:20am
MSE is the same client that MS uses for their corporate Forefront AV client. I can speak from experience, that MS does share defs with Norton, Kaspersky, and other major AV brands.

I can also tell you that their AV RTS also has performance degradation issues if it gets caught on what it calls an expensive system file. The issue we have seen with the AV RTS is that it will hang on files that are accessed frequently, in which case it gets stuck in a scanning loop. Typically the files I have seen this happen with are temp files and MSI installer cache files, which can of course be cleaned up.

You can check your log files on a Win 7 box at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Support... check the logs and see if there is a file hanging that requires a lot of scan time.

Just my $.02.

Otherwise, MSE has been a great product both personally and in a corp environment.
kenage View Drop Down

Quote kenage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:57pm
MSE definitely gets the job done, for free, and it uses some of the fewest resources out there. Not the best of sites for benchmarking, but http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/is-your-free-av-tool-a-resource-pig/ shows several free products stacked against each other, and MSE is used as the baseline. Avast has a smaller memory footprint, by a few MB, and another program called ClamWin has less impact on startup and shutdown times by a second or less, but the differences are minute among the top-rated.

You do need to have a multi-layered protection scheme going on though, including at least one anti-malware scanning program. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is very good, and Spybot Search and Destroy has come around to being pretty good again. I used to recommend SuperAntiSpyware, but it's a very slow scan, and I found that MalwareBytes and Spybot grab 99% of what SAS would pick up.

CCleaner is also a must, imo.

Edited by kenage - 07 Mar 2012 at 9:28pm
— Kenage
MCTS, MCP, Security+, Network+
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
chasblock View Drop Down

Quote chasblock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 4:30am
Timely question!

My brand spanking new DS system was encountering a lot of blue screens. I thought it might be a memory stick problem.

Called DS tech support and found out that Norton doesn't play well with Win7. That was what was causing the blue screen. Also I was told, because of Firefox's memory leak, it also causes problems.

The tech recommended getting rid of Norton and Firefox.

I did, and haven't had a problem since.

I asked what he recommended for security and he said he uses Microsoft Security Essentials in combination with Spybot S&D on his home computer. I figured if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

So far so good.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 6:33am
Did you try getting rid of Norton independently of Firefox? I haven't used Norton since 98 or so, so I have no idea on that one. As for Firefox, its one of the two browsers I use extensively, and I have not had a single blue screen because of it.

Edited by Tidgxor - 08 Mar 2012 at 6:33am
chasblock View Drop Down

Quote chasblock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 6:52am
I should have only uninstalled Norton, but I did both at the same time. I too, use Firefox almost exclusively. Empirically, I probably should have seen how it worked with Norton removed and kept Firefox.

I haven't uninstalled FF actually, I'm just not using it. Actually I'm kinda liking IE9.

I've got a 3 license Norton Internet Security that I just renewed no more than 2 months ago. I'm kinda bummed on that. But I still have it on my Vista Ultimate laptop. 
Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 9:55pm
Anyone using for spyware, XoftwareSE? I have encountered no probs with it, mostly using Mozilla and sometimes Microsoft.
Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 9:56pm
Anybody had a real problem with MSE?
Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 10:02pm
DST4ME:  are you selling ESET or just recommending it?  Just curious. 
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:01am
Comet, DST4ME does use Eset.

I use Norton Internet Security with Win-7 and have never had a blue screen. The last couple of years NIS has improved quite a bit especially with resource use. I have never had a virus or Trojan either. But that has more to do with how you operate your computer and what you click on. The best security is the discipline you use in selecting where you go, what you look at, or what you click on the Internet.   

Frank
Becks View Drop Down

Quote Becks Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:12am
In the past I used ESET which did a good job. Recently I pulled my HDD out and installed an SSD only. I decided not to reinstall ESET, and to only use MSE. I do not use my DS rig to surf the web but, to only play BF3, Mass Effect 3, COD4, and other "safe" online games. No Facebook, No twitter, No surfing. Lately I have abandoned IE and FF and use Chrome (they are all the devil incarnate as far as I am concerned).

Edited by Becks - 12 Apr 2012 at 9:37am
Relationships Are Like Sharks. They Either Move Forward, or Die.
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 5:07am
The trial version of Malwarebytes is more than good enough. It scans fast (Last scan: 37 Seconds), and it scans well. I used to use Norton on a computer that I shared with my sister, and I noticed the computer slowing down. However, Norton didn't find a single virus. Eventually, my computer was so slow that it was becoming a problem, so I downloaded Malwarebytes off of the recommendation of a friend, and it found 103 viruses. I have been virus free since then (2008), and my computer runs much faster ever since I uninstalled Norton and installed Malwarebytes.

However, I also have friends who swear by AVG, Avast, and Avira, so if Malwarebytes turns out to not be what you're looking for, those may be closer to what you want.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
MICHAEL2A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MICHAEL2A Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 10:49pm

A little late into this conversation but I agree with the advise given.

Anti-virus: ESET

Malware/Spyware: Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes has saved my fanny more than once! Highly recommended.
NZXT Switch 810
Asus Rampage V ED10
16GB Corsair Platinum 3000mhz
i-7 X5960, 3.0Ghz-3.5Ghz
Intel 750 800GB NVME-SSD
Corsair H115i CPU Cooler
2 Asus Strix 1080 8GB SLI
Corsair AXi 1200 PSU
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:10pm
I use MSE and it works great.
 Post Reply Post Reply