Midlife monitor/GPU refresh: advice please

Post Date: 2016-03-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Midlife monitor/GPU refresh: advice please
    Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 8:53am
I have a two year-old Slade system, it's great but I think my five year-old 23" BenQ gaming monitor might be close to the end of its days. I figured that if I am going to get a new monitor, I might consider an nVidia GPU upgrade from the single GTX 770 I am running at the moment. My system has 16GB RAM and a DS-overclocked i7 4770 CPU running Win 8.1 64x. There's a lot to consider and I am not much of an expert so I would appreciate your advice on the following:

- What is the largest/highest res monitor I could expect my GTX 770 to be able to power for decent gaming performance?

- Can you recommend a single-card GPU upgrade that would make sense and, if so, how much bigger can I go in terms of monitor size with that card?

- Is there an optimal native resolution to look for in gaming monitors?

- I am noticing a few new buzzwords associated with monitors (GSynch, FreeSynch, 4G, curved displays, etc.). How much attention should I be paying to any of this? I realize that GSynch applies only to nVidia cards, but I am going to stick to that brand anyway.

I am not going to be at the bleeding edge of tech with any of this stuff, so I am hoping you guys might have some tried-and-tested advice for me. Many thanks in anticipation.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 12:29pm
you should be fine getting any 1080p monitor   dont know if I would throw out the extra cash to get G Synn
My old ds Rig I put and EVGA Gforce 750 TI in it and it runs World Of Warcraft on a 24 inch 180 p monitor hitting 95 to 99 FPS
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 12:38pm
A lot depends on your budget.   For just the graphics card, $300 will give you the gtx 970 which is about 25% stronger than your 770 and allows 1080p comfortably and a 27" 1440p with very good results.   

For $600, the gtx 980ti adds another 40% over the 970, rough estimates, and gives you 1440p comfortably and 4 k monitor at lower settings but still decent.

G sync is the monitor's special add in board syncing the video cards frame rate to the monitor instead of one trying to catch up to the other. This gives smoother, less jittery gaming. The G sync matches one to the other.   

4K is basically 4x 1080p in one screen, it's resolution that much higher for better picture. Of course, 4K takes a stronger card to render the added resolution.

A good balance, imho, is a 970 or 980 for a 1080p 1440p.   If budget allows, the 980ti will play great atb1440p for some time.

Hope this helps.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 1:39pm
Thanks very much, guys. bprat22, I remember you from when I first bought this DS machine and you were very helpful then, too!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 2:24pm
Our pleasure, and yeah, nice seeing you here again.    

Your 770 is still a decent card.   Unless you're seeing a lot of slow down, another year or so might be doable.    Unless you want more resolution, moving from 1080p.

Stay in touch.

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 2:36pm
consider an AMD R9 390X around $400 and get yourself a nice/fast 1440p Freesync monitor (either IPS or TN panel).  as a whole, the AMD price to performance is better.  Nvidia G-sync monitors add an actual physical module to the monitors that support their version of "adaptive sync" and so are priced a couple hundred bucks more than the open source "freesync" tech in AMD-based monitors.  you still pay a little bit more for a monitor with this tech in it, but it's worth it imo.  freesync does the same thing as gsync-syncs the monitor's refresh rate to that of the video card's frequency in a range (the lowest i've seen is 35Hz and the highest is 144Hz) so as to avoid screen tearing and stuttering.  you'll have to check the range on a per monitor case. 

the main difference between the two tech's is how they handle refresh rates outside of the frequency range.  with freesync you get the option of choosing whether it reverts to v-sync (vertical sync) either on or off.  the gsync module on the other hand doesn't do this.  instead when it falls below the range it auto refreshes the screen with each frame being redrawn one extra time to avoid flicker of the pixels and maintain a stuttering/tearing free image.  it's all very technical, but the takeaway is this: they essentially do the same thing-image smoothing.  just make sure you have a gpu that can render frames consistently within the monitor's refresh range at the game settings you desire. 

AMD's cards are the less expensive technology at present.  an R9 390X is better than a GTX 970 and a GTX 980 is priced higher than it.  if you're not married to a particular brand and on a budget, i suggest the AMD vid card and Freesync monitor route over the Nvidia tech.   i, myself, went the high end Nvidia route but now with the monitor market leaning towards the cheaper freesync tech i'm starting to question that choice.  there are more freesync models to choose from than there are gsync simply due to cost.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 8:22pm
Food for thought! I hadn't realised that we are now living in the era of the "smart monitor". What do you think is the biggest gaming monitor I could run with my single 770? Or is it better to classify monitors by resolution? Can I go bigger and/or higher than my current 23" with a native res of 1200 x 1920? I am usually perfectly happy with frame rates of >45, I'm not one of those guys who feels personally insulted if he can't get >60 fps all the time.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 2:35am
The 770 would be best at 1080p.   You could play at 1440p but frames would drop and in game settings lowered.   Depends what makes you happy.

The size of the screen doesn't matter to the video card, just the resolution.   A 23" at 1080p will give you the same fps as a 42" at 1080p, but the larger the screen the less sharp because the pixels are more spread out.   A 27" at 1080p I guess wouldn't be too bad and still give you more screen.

Here's a link that'll give you an idea with different games and resolutions....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1037

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Mar 2016 at 2:42am
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 12:47pm
bprat (and others), what do you think of this monitor as a good solution, given my setup? It's expensive, but you get what you pay for:

Asus VG248QE 24-inch Full HD Ergonomic Back-lit LED Gaming Monitor

Thank you!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:03pm
no insult intended, that's not an expensive monitor.  it's actually fairly old and low-end, tbh.  i know budgets are relative.  a much newer/feature packed monitor for "gamers" and on a "gamer" budget is the BenQ XL2430T.  you get ULMB (motion blur reduction tech), good out of the box color, etc. 

check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8E0K06/?tag=bom_tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=[site|thaus[cat|[art|[pid|B00M8E0K06[tid|14590258118818282[bbc|LEPRIX
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by db188

no insult intended, that's not an expensive monitor.  it's actually fairly old and low-end, tbh.  i know budgets are relative.  a much newer/feature packed monitor for "gamers" and on a "gamer" budget is the BenQ XL2430T.  you get ULMB (motion blur reduction tech), good out of the box color, etc.  check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8E0K06/?tag=bom_tomshardware-20&ascsubtag=[site|thaus[cat|[art|[pid|B00M8E0K06[tid|14590258118818282[bbc|LEPRIX

That is actually really helpful as I have a Benq right now and would welcome the opportunity to upgrade within that brand. I really like my Benq. Many thanks.

Edited by Bahger - 26 Mar 2016 at 5:20pm
mike13531 View Drop Down

Quote mike13531 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:47pm
I don't have a ds system, but I do have that very same monitor (the xl monitor from BENQ). I owned it for about 4 month now?   It has been absolutely amazing.

The blue reduction technology definitely makes your eyes work less, and 1m react time plus 144hz make the screen so much more responsive.

I don't know about others, but i personally highly recommend it.

Edited by mike13531 - 28 Mar 2016 at 9:48pm
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:10pm
Thanks, Mike, your endorsement is much appreciated. I just bought it and expect not to be disappointed.
 Post Reply Post Reply