FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Midrange laptop with longevity

Post Date: 2015-08-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Inaya View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Inaya Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Midrange laptop with longevity
    Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 6:32pm
Budget:
[$2000-ish. *Value* is more important to me than price.]

Expectations:
[Fast and smooth, but my eyesight is not the best, so high/ultra/max graphics are pointless. I keep laptops around for a long time, so the more upgrade-able the better. I don't want to wake up one day with an obsolete computer. I want to be able to drop a new GPU or CPU (for example) in it in 3-4 years and call it a day. Durability is a big plus.]

Usage:
[Mostly gaming: RPGs/MMORPGs/MOBAs and older games primarily. Some boring crap (Word, updating Web content, etc.)]

Special Needs:
[Heat is an issue. My building is old and has crappy AC. I'm pretty sure heat contributed to my prior laptop's performance issues and eventual bricking. And I like to use my LAPtop on my lap.
Also, I'm a heavy multitasker, so lots of programs and Chrome tabs and YouTube and Netflix and iTunes open. My hand defaults to alt+tab when I'm not actively typing.]

Saved Ticket #:
[1256144]

Specifications:
[Chassis Model: Digital Storm Avon 15.6 Inch Laptop (Model: S:9753)
Display: NVIDIA G-Sync - 15.6 Inch 4K UltraHD (Resolution: 3840 x 2160) (Anti-glare) (LED)
Screen Calibration: - Not Available
Processor: Desktop Class - Intel Core i5-4690K (Up to 3.90Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Stock CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage Drive 1: 250GB Solid State - Samsung 850 EVO
Storage Drive 2: 1TB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Wireless Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 + Bluetooth 4.0 (M.2 Socket)
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 6GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost]

Also some questions before buying:

1) I believe the make/model for the MoBo and RAM aren't specified anywhere. What will be going into my laptop?
2) Will it be possible to upgrade my chassis at any point, or am I forever stuck with the one I pick now? I'm concerned about evolving standards/architectures.
3) Is it (or will it be) possible to upgrade the LCD? Other chassis components?
4) Is it possible to put the Triton keyboard on the Avon chassis? (Not holding my breath, but can't hurt to ask.)

I've heard great things about this company, and I'm tired of COTS laptops with questionable components and shoddy customer service that are obsolete a year after buying.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Inaya - 07 Aug 2015 at 7:03pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Inaya

...Expectations:
[Fast and smooth, but my eyesight is not the best, so high/ultra/max graphics are pointless. I keep laptops around for a long time, so the more upgrade-able the better. I don't want to wake up one day with an obsolete computer. I want to be able to drop a new GPU or CPU (for example) in it in 3-4 years and call it a day. Durability is a big plus.]

First off, if you have not the greatest eyesight, you will likely not want the 4K screen of the Avon for a couple of reasons:

1) The high resolution sounds like it would be wasted on you, and at the 15.6" size, even with scaling compensation in Windows settings, you may not be able to see text and such very well with such a high-res/small screen.

2) Pushing 4K pixels with a laptop GPU means that you'd want to jump to a 980M at the very least, even for non-bleeding-edge games, costing you much more.  I don't think a 970M would make you happy.  If you go to a Triton with a 970M, you're going to get a lot better performance, and 1920x1080 on a 15.6" screen will still be a nice and high resolution.  Lower down I've included a link to a suggested build.

Also, dropping in a new GPU after 3-4 years on a laptop is not only going to be expensive but may not be possible with the change in technology that would occur during that time.  Digital Storm support could better answer this, but I wouldn't count on being able to do it.  Dropping in a new CPU would be even less likely as there will be multiple iterations of chipsets and motherboards in this period, rendering your older mobo unable to use a newer CPU.

Usage:
[Mostly gaming: RPGs/MMORPGs/MOBAs and older games primarily. Some boring crap (Word, updating Web content, etc.)]

No issues here.  What you configured should certainly be able to handle these, given my caveats listed above.  With my suggested build, no caveats involved.

Special Needs:
[Heat is an issue. My building is old and has crappy AC. I'm pretty sure heat contributed to my prior laptop's performance issues and eventual bricking. And I like to use my LAPtop on my lap.
Also, I'm a heavy multitasker, so lots of programs and Chrome tabs and YouTube and Netflix and iTunes open. My hand defaults to alt+tab when I'm not actively typing.]

Go for the better thermal compound for heat issues. Also, any of the chassis that DS has should be pretty good for heat, although if you want to jump to a 17.3" laptop, cooling will likely be better.  The smaller the chassis, the harder to cool as everything it more tightly packed into a smaller space.  If going to 17.3" is an option, let me know and I can provide a suggested build for that too.

For heavy multi-tasking, while 8GB is a solid minimum, you'll likely want to go to 16GB RAM to give you some breathing room especially since that will allow you to potentially eliminate the need for a swap file and run everything out of RAM.

...Also some questions before buying:

1) I believe the make/model for the MoBo and RAM aren't specified anywhere. What will be going into my laptop?
2) Will it be possible to upgrade my chassis at any point, or am I forever stuck with the one I pick now? I'm concerned about evolving standards/architectures.
3) Is it (or will it be) possible to upgrade the LCD? Other chassis components?
4) Is it possible to put the Triton keyboard on the Avon chassis? (Not holding my breath, but can't hurt to ask.)

1) Definitely questions for the DS team as components can change depending on what is available and regular changes in pricing and technology.

2) You're stuck.  Laptop components are designed for specific chassis and the exact dimensions of those chassis.  If you're concerned about this, make sure you go with the right one off the bat.  It's not something you can upgrade but can only buy a whole new laptop if you want to change it.

3) Laptop upgrades are limited: drives, RAM, and in some cases the GPU and maybe a CPU, but that's pretty much it.  Most everything else is part of the motherboard and chipset.  Drives are the easiest to upgrade and improve.  With RAM you can expand to 32GB, but getting faster RAM in a couple of years will not be possible as those are tied to the chipset, which you cannot really change.

4) I doubt it, but ask DS.

Here's the suggested build based on what it sounds like you need:

Build 1256282

Important points about this build that may make you alter it somewhat:

Ideally, you want the SSD to be at least 250GB so you can fit more than the OS and normal apps on there, especially if you plan to install more than 1-2 games.  If you can swing it, I recommend jumping to the 500GB 850 EVO.  You want your games on an SSD if at all possible.  Important Note: upgrading to a larger SSD at a later time will be your cheapest and easiest upgrade as prices on those are going down all the time.

The 980M GPU is one of the most important components.  You'll be able to player newer games as they come out for a good time to come, especially if they're not bleeding edge.  This should be your number one concern for what you invest in right now.  Upgrading to a new GPU at a later time, even if it works with your chassis and mobo, will be very expensive, probably in the $800+ range for just that single component.  Get as much GPU power as you can right off the bat.

Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply