Mobile Gaming

Post Date: 2016-10-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DarkSydeElement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Mobile Gaming
    Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 12:49pm
I have my main DS Rig for home but now I have a new position for work which will require me to be traveling often. My thoughts would be getting a gaming laptop for the go so I don't have to carry my velox around with me. I don't want to try and fight with bad hotel wireless so i'd be focusing more on single player games such as Witcher etc. Would it be worth while to go with a Bolt and hook it up to the tv's at the hotel for cost vs a gaming laptop? Any suggestions before I start the build. I have a work laptop so it will be used 100% as gaming and movies.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 1:37pm
I would not move a bolts around manytimes, but thats just me.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 1:50pm
The Bolt is not a small, mobile rig. It weighs about 40 lbs, and is thin but only a couple of inches smaller than the Vanquish in length and height.   The Bolt has gotten bigger with each version.    

I also wouldn't consider it for moving about. The cooler, graphics card, drives, etc aren't as locked-in as in a laptop.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 2:40pm
Go with the laptop. The Banshee is a monStrongster.
I doubt the Bolt would survive one trip.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 3:58pm
i hate to say this but DS has a lot of room for improvement with their laptop customization.

this same model (Clevo P870DM2) is being used as the chassis for desktop replacements by other companies, and are much more configurable.  some of them offer a true desktop-size mechanical keyboard. 

why only the 4K screen option?  you can get this in 1080p@120Hz, 1440p@120Hz, and 4k@60Hz from the other vendors.  

also not a fan of the Killer NIC and software interface.  terrible support, lack of driver updates, lots of conflicts.  Intel would/should be an option here.

back to a question of customization w/config, why no option for a single gpu?  the other companies offer it.  this kinda goes hand in hand with the screen rez issue.  a single 1080 could drive up to a 1440p screen at high game settings.  base units from these other companies start with a 1070 in them. 

i've read reviews on this Clevo unit.  it has a pretty substantial cooling unit (for a laptop) with lots of fans, but the dual gpu config still has trouble keeping full-sized Pascal desktop cards under 90C (under load), which causes them to throttle down.  they won't go below their base clock speeds though.  which kinda begs the question why the advertise this unit as being overclockable?  still, it's kind of amazing that this "laptop" uses legit desktop components (cpu, gpus, storage, etc.).  even with all of that cooling, reviewers state the acoustics are pretty good, but still advise wearing head phones while gaming. 

Edited by db188 - 30 Oct 2016 at 4:05pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply