Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Theciscokid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theciscokid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor advice needed
    Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 5:40am
Greetings folks!

I know I'm not the first nor will be the last, but I'm really struggling with the selection of a monitor to pair with my DS (in production) system. It's a typical gaming rig with a 6700k, EVGA 1080, 16gb memory and a Asus Mobo.

For the last 8 years or so I've used a Dell U2410. However, for the last 2 years I've been gaming on Sager laptop, 15" TN. The Dell is going to my wife so I need a solid replacement that I can use for a long time. Oh and before the Dell I use to have a classic NEC IPS glossy screen like 10 years ago, it was pretty amazing.

This machine will primarily be for gaming, but also for some light home use, photo/web viewing. I'm a big fan of RPG games like Fallout 4, Witcher, Diablo, GTA and do love some Minecraft haha. I may dabble in some FPS games, but not competitively. I also do play strategy games a lot like Total War and Civ. So basically a wide variety.

I'm really struggling with options. My desk won't take anything larger than a 27" monitor.. I'm pretty set on 1440p, but am lost in the world of hz. $700+ seems like a lot for some of these new Gsync monitors and I'm not sure I need all of that. I really just want smooth play, vibrant colors and an immersive experience at fairly high settings for the next 3 years or so.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
jav View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote jav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 10:57am
I'm currently looking at monitors as well. (my order is stage 1)   I believe I will go with the ASUS VG278HV it is not the best but looks good for the price and will surely suit my needs. Good luck.
Zyaira View Drop Down

Quote Zyaira Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:48pm
I agree there are so many choices for monitors.  I have been looking as well, and the prices for a gaming type monitor are ridiculous

1440p  Acer Predator series are amazing. Yes they are expensive, but i have tested out about 30 monitors this month and the best i have seen in 4k and  and 1440 with gsync are the acer and asus models .

My suggestion is:

1440 model of Acer Predator is XB271HU, looks amazing

I plan on getting 2 acer Predator XB271HK 4k UHD.  or the ASUS equivalent.

Good Luck

ZY
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 11:48am
I really love my ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift. It is expensive, but you can find it for $500-$600 (give or take like $50) these days. It offers 144hz, G-Sync, and it's 2560x1440p. Easily the best monitor I've used (in the 1440p range).

I stay away from the Acer Predator monitors, as the ultra wides were the start of crappy QA, amongst other hardware problems, and they started to float over into the 27" 2560x1440p models too. THey have cleaned up with their new current gen models, but still... They broke my heart. ASUS, I feel, makes the most reliable, best gaming monitors on the market. I can't recommend any other monitor than an ASUS 1440p.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Meller

I really love my ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift. It is expensive, but you can find it for $500-$600 (give or take like $50) these days. It offers 144hz, G-Sync, and it's 2560x1440p. Easily the best monitor I've used (in the 1440p range).

I stay away from the Acer Predator monitors, as the ultra wides were the start of crappy QA, amongst other hardware problems, and they started to float over into the 27" 2560x1440p models too. THey have cleaned up with their new current gen models, but still... They broke my heart. ASUS, I feel, makes the most reliable, best gaming monitors on the market. I can't recommend any other monitor than an ASUS 1440p.

You got lucky in the monitor lottery then. I've read one too many bad reviews on those 144 Hz IPS monitors, both Acer and Asus models, to risk investing any money in them at this point. In some cases, the monitors work for a couple of weeks or months and then pixels and/or the monitor itself dies or develops chronic graphic glitches/artifacts. Then as a customer, you get stuck in an endless tech support loop, shipping, etc.
I haven't checked the ASUS forums lately, but there's still quite a few people still complaining on Acer's forum about their 27" 144 Hz G-Sync IPS monitors with a lot of non-resolving proprietary BS from Acer reps.

The TN panels are probably more reliable, but I wouldn't want a 27" TN panel simply due to the poor viewing angle, especially when using it in portrait view.

At this point, I would be happy with just getting an ultra-sharp 27" 60 Hz IPS monitor. I don't need high FPS for gaming, so that's just me. I'm just pointing out that both ASUS and Acer have unresolved issues with these 144 Hz IPS panels and don't seem to be in any kind of a hurry to fix them. Plus their customer support on these particular issues ranks low somewhere between whale poop and a snake's butt(the non-tree kind, of course).

AOC offers a similar panel, but it appears to be a VA as opposed to IPS or TN. Haven't done much reading on it, but it probably has its own issues.
jav View Drop Down

Quote jav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by jav

I'm currently looking at monitors as well. (my order is stage 1)   I believe I will go with the ASUS VG278HV it is not the best but looks good for the price and will surely suit my needs. Good luck.

I'm quoting myself! Don't think I have ever done that.

I ended up with the Acer XB271HU ‑ 27" QHD and am very happy with it. Compliments my new DS Machine very well. Costco had them for $699 over the holiday. (Running on a 1070)

Edited by jav - 16 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
Zyaira View Drop Down

Quote Zyaira Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:06am
Originally posted by jav

Originally posted by jav

I'm quoting myself! Don't think I have ever done that.

I ended up with the Acer XB271HU ‑ 27" QHD and am very happy with it. Compliments my new DS Machine very well. Costco had them for $699 over the holiday. (Running on a 1070)

Great Call!  I finally pulled the Trigger on 2 Acer XB321HU.  These XB models are great
 Post Reply Post Reply