FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My DS Hard Drive partitions

Post Date: 2015-02-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bmchan View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bmchan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My DS Hard Drive partitions
    Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 5:33pm
I purchased my DS PC in March of last year and I am confused about the hard drive partition setup. I'm not a computer geek (wish I was) so this may be a simple problem. DS set up my 1TB Seagate drive as follows:

Disk O Basic System Reserved 350MB NTFS
Disk O (C:) 111.45GB (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary)
Disk 1 Storage (E:) 931.51GB (Page File, Primary Partition)

Disk O now has only 6% free because that us all I have used, not knowing that the drive had been partitioned in this manner.

Disk 1 is empty with 932GB Free.

Since the drives are not adjacent, I can't shrink and expand the volume between C: and E:.

Any thoughts without uninstalling and uninstalling programs?
Can I run programs if I install them in E:?
Is there a software program that will allow me to manage this (without installing bloat?)

Finally: WTF is DS thinking when they do this? They can't assume that all of their users are going to explore and figure this out on their own when the new PC arrives. A disclosure would have been appropriate. I see nothing now in the neat little notebook.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 6:04pm
You have a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The O/S has a reserved partition on the 120GB disk (where it is installed). Your HDD is in a single partition...you cannot expand your C: drive because it is physically not the same (there are some complicated administrative things where you can have multiple drives register as a single volume, but that is not applicable here). So, you can definitely install files and programs onto your HDD and run them (albeit, they will run slower). When installing something, just select the E: drive instead of the C: and the O/S should take care of the rest. Beyond your O/S, just install frequently used programs to your C: drive, and keep at least 20GB free on C: to keep the drive performance up.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:18am
The 350 MB system reserved is not a partition created by DS. It is created by Microsoft if you run Windows 7 or 8.

http://www.howtogeek.com/192772/what-is-the-system-reserved-partition-and-can-you-delete-it/

As mentioned it seems you have 2 Drives. One of them is an SSD and one of them is a hard drive.

Start installing things on your Hard drive. DS disclosed you had two hard drives when you bought the system. they did not partition it like that at all. This is how it looks when you have TWO hard drives in your system.

Again you have TWO drives.

Yes you can use the second drive to run programs. Store files.

It works just like you other hard drive just somewhat slower.

Edited by Ariktu - 19 Feb 2015 at 5:18am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:45am
I have my operating system on the SSD and very few games, etc...

MOST of my stuff is stashed on the E: drive, the HDD, including Steam games, video and music. Most of my games are not 'twitch' FPS games so my system is very well fast enough to run what I play without needing the SSD speed.
 Post Reply Post Reply