FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Experience with Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling

Post Date: 2012-02-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jseidel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My Experience with Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling
    Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:59pm
Just FYI, the setup for the H80 on my system is back fan, radiator, then inside fan. Fans exhaust out of the case because all the others blow in. Anyway, after only 6 weeks the fan in the back mounted on the case and then to the H80 radiator started making a grinding sound periodically. On observation I noted the fan would rev up, start to slow down and then finally stop. After a few seconds it would start up again full speed and make the grinding noise briefly when it started. Went through this cycle every 50 seconds or so. I contacted DS tech support and they offered to replace both H80 fans, which incidentally are not the Corsair fans that show coming with the H80 system from Newegg or other vendors. The fans are CoolerMaster fans identical to the ones on the case. Fine and well. Anyway, because I had to pay $8 shipping for the replacement fans I decided to just buy one from Amazon as DS tech support suggested. For now I merely unplugged the outer fan from the outlet on the H80 cooler on the CPU. That shut it up and my temps have been running 27 - 29 Celsius without it.
Now after 8 weeks the inside fan, (which is very obvious from where I sit at my PC because of the clear side panel), spins erratically. Sometimes it would spin full speed, at least from visual observation, then other times it would seem to be going slow. Whatever speed it started at boot up it would stay at that speed for the entire time the PC was on. Each time it would be a coin toss, fast or slow. Yesterday the fan would start, then slow to a crawl, then speed up to a slow speed. Doing it over and over as a cycle. Oh, boy! The other fan has died. . .
Not so. I decided to unplug the interior radiator fan from the top of the H80 CPU cooler block and plug it into an open PWR_FAN port on the motherboard, a P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. Of course the fan revs up and goes full speed, no problem.
On reading reviews of the Corsair H80 on Amazon others have noted the speed adjustment on the CPU block, (Ostensibly slow, balanced and performance), does nothing. What it does do is cause the fans to malfunction. So, if you have my grief with your Corsair liquid cooling system plug the fans directly into the motherboard. The speed regulator does not work and, in fact, may toast your fan motors before their time or cause them to spin at random speeds regardless of the CPU temp or setting on the H80 CPU cooler block. If I had it to do over I would not get liquid cooling.
J.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 4:26pm
Hi jseidel...sorry to hear of all the aggravation.   I do agree with you about the air coolers.   Whenever I configure a system for someone I always suggest the D14 or A70 coolers.   Except in the new x79 with Multi gpu, which DS says require the H100, I like air.   It might be big and bulky, but a big block of metal fins is pretty darn reliable.        I would however think the H80/100 are somewhat reliable, just not as reliable.     Thanks for the feedback.    Are you being sent a new H80?    
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 4:57pm
I always plug my fans into a mobo fan header when ever possible. I really wish DS techs would think of stuff like that when people have tech support issues. I had several issues when I first got my system and every issue was resolved with help from people here on the forums.

I suffered through numerous phone calls and e-mails with DS tech support and at best they seemed to be guessing at random and when the first thing they thought of didn't work they would tell me I'd have to ship the system back, at my expense ofcourse.

Luckily I was able to get answers from other users and I was able to fix most of the issues and tell DS tech support what parts to send me.

jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 5:13pm
"Thanks for the feedback. Are you being sent a new H80?"
There are 187 reviews of Corsair Liquid cooling systems at Amazon, mostly very positive, but the problems related to the dysfunctional speed regulator on the cooler block have been mentioned a few times by others. Note the reviews cover all models of Corsair liquid cooling, not just the H80:
Amazon Corsair H80 Page
No, I do not want a new H80. The one I have works very well with the fans disconnected from the cooler block and plugged into the motherboard. Going with other's comments I find online, a new one may do the same thing. The "rewired" arrangement works just fine for me.
Thanks for your reply.
J.

Edited by jseidel - 23 Feb 2012 at 5:16pm
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 5:19pm
"I always plug my fans into a mobo fan header when ever possible."
This is the advice I'm reading all over the web concerning Corsair liquid cooling. It fixed my problem. Thanks for your post.
J.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 5:57pm
That's one of the things many people hate about Amazon is how the lump all the review together like that. Some manufactures have tried to force Amazon to stop doing that but Amazon has refused.

Not only is it misleading because there can be different versions of a product but they also lump together reviews for new and refurbished products together. I ran into that when I purchased one of my WD Caviar Black HDDs from them. I read through all the reviews, good and bad, and I found people talking about how they received refurbished drives and that WD only offers a 30 day guarantee on them.

I called Amazon and the guy told me straight up that it does not matter if something is new or used, or if there are different versions, or what seller is actually selling the item through them, they just lump all the reviews together.

Most people don't know how to write a proper review and just as many people don't know what to look for when reading those reviews. The guy from Amazon said they group the reviews together because helps products keep a higher average rating.

At least you were able to get some useful knowledge from them though. Known issues like that is something DS tech support should know about so they can tell their customers' about it. They claim to have a database of products and issues and they all they have to do is look up the item you have and they can read all about it.

Hopefully Alex takes notice of this and adds the issue with the speed regulator to their database. That way their tech support can say "Trying plugging the fans into the mobo" instead of saying "I don't know what to do, I guess you just have to spend more money on new fans".

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 6:02pm
If you're satisfied then that's all that matters.   Just me, and take it for what it's worth, but I would get it replaced. One problem usually leads to another plus this could be a bad batch, with a new one being 100%.     Good luck and glad it's working.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 6:03pm
Interestingly enough, when I originally submitted the problem to DS the tech support person stated: "The fans are easy to replace, and you just plug them into the same location on the motherboard." He had no idea that the fans were plugged into the H80 CPU cooler block. Maybe they weren't supposed to be? Who knows.
J.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 6:10pm
"If you're satisfied then that's all that matters.   Just me, and take it for what it's worth, but I would get it replaced. One problem usually leads to another plus this could be a bad batch, with a new one being 100%."
I would have to take it to a shop to get the H80 replaced. Just looking at it I think it is out of my league to do the job on my own. If I have additional problems, I will take it to a reliable computer repair shop I know and have them replace the whole thing with fans.
Thanks for your input.
J.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:35pm
The fans on the H80 should be plugged into the actual CPU block not the motherboard pins because the H80 allows easy fan control by pressing the fan control button on the head of the pump:

This is the first time I've seen this with a customers system. The issue jmaster had was different. The H80 coolers have been fairly reliable, as more than 3/4 of all of our builds use them.

I'm glad to see that you have resolved the issue. Feel free to contact us if you need additional help! Big%20Smile
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 8:01pm
"The fans on the H80 should be plugged into the actual CPU block not the motherboard pins because the H80 allows easy fan control by pressing the fan control button on the head of the pump."
That's how it's supposed to work. It does not. You don't understand what I was saying before . . . the fan control button on the head of the pump does not work. There are 3 settings, slow, balanced and performance. There was no noticeable difference no matter what setting was used. The fans malfunctioned when plugged into the CPU block or pump as you call it. They work fine in the motherboard header plug in.
J.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 8:25pm
I've seen it work properly fine in a few builds that I've messed with, this is definitely not how every unit performs. You may have a defective unit, we're going to look into this internally (thank you for the heads up).

We're more than happy to send you a replacement as well that should work perfectly fine.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:57pm
Alex yes the part I had an issue with was different but my experience with tech support was the same. They did not offer much in the way of options and there were answers out there to my problem but your tech support was not educated on the known issues. The community members here had more technical knowledge then even your head tech manager.

Various tech support reps and managers made me go through a bogus list of trouble shooting options because they did not know anything about my hardware. For example I was told to hit the "mem ok" button but was never told I had to go into my BIOS and reset my RAM speed. I noticed it on my own over a month later that I had been running with my RAM at only half speed due to your reps failure to complete the process and have me fix the RAM clocks after hitting the reset button.

The worst thing was both of my issues were actually due to mistakes made by the people who assembled my system and the QA people who failed to catch those mistakes. You kept trying to maintain that nothing was done wrong but you head tech support manager told me point blank my system was assembled incorrectly and with the wrong parts.

That's just one example that goes along with what happened here. The only solution your tech could offer for the OP's issue was to change out the fans, which you guys were going to charge him shipping on. But as the OP found out on his own the fans were not the problem so you all would have charged him shipping strictly due to your techs in ability to properly research and diagnose the issue.

If you actually take the time and do some research you will see there is a known issue with the fan controller that is built into the H80. Numerous H80 owners, including jseidel, were able to fix their issue by plugging the fans into the mobo instead of the cpu controller.

Replacing a liquid cooling set up is beyond the scope of the "average" consumer and is not something I would want to have to deal with. So your offer to send a replacement is not reasonable to some people.

Since there is a known issue with the H80 controller your tech support department has a responsibility to know that. For any product you sell you should have people that research the product on-line to find feedback and reviews so your tech support department knows about these things when one of your customers called.

Edited by jmaster299 - 23 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:03pm
I agree with you, however such issues like the H80 cooler that jseidel had and your issue were very isolated situations. These have not been common issues with our customers. If they were, even 10% of those builds, our forums would have been flooded with the same issues.

We have to look at things from a large perspective, this is the first time I've seen such an issue with the H80, it may have been a bad batch or something else, I've already emailed the team to look into this internally and for our QA team to being checking on all outgoing systems.

While I would love for our team to know every single issue, it's honestly not that easy, especially with the complexity of how many configuration possibilities there can be. That nevertheless, is always our goal, as our teams have weekly meetings on new issues that crop up and how we can resolve them.

Edited by Alex - 23 Feb 2012 at 10:04pm

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:55pm
You're missing the point, your team should be taking the team to learn about known issues with products even if your builds have not seen many issues with it. The OP was able to find multiple people on freaking Amazon of all places that were able to give him a solution that your tech support team was not.

You may not be able to do it for every part but for your most popular items you should have people who keep your knowledge base up to date researching those items for known or potential issues.

The should be doing things like saying "OK these are our 3 most popular cases, motherboards, CPUs, RAM modules, HDDs, PSU and GPUs we sell." "The 3 most popular items for the basics required to build a system." "What are people saying about these products on review and benchmarking sites, on the manufacture's website and forums and other tech forums?"

They can then but the information they learn into the knowledge base that all your tech support people are supposed to use. So they have the knowledge available for things like the H80 fan controller.

Your tech support guy even recommend he just buy some new fans from Amazon since it was cheaper then the $8 you guys were going to rip him off for in order to pay for you guys to ship him new fans. (Any part replacement under warranty needs to come with free shipping fyi).

So that same tech that recommend the OP take his business else where, a universally stupid move for any company, could have found out the same information the OP did from the site he recommended the OP use for his replacement parts.

You claim that 3/4 of all your builds use the H80 but yet your tech support department did not know about a known quality issue for that part? Your tech support team should be at least doing as much work as the customers. Do a damn Google search for "H80 Fan Issues". The second, third and forth top results are all about the fan controller being crap.

So how is your team knew nothing about this issue. It's even talked about on the Corsair forums. Your tech support department should know this stuff or at the very least they need to be looking that stuff up if they are unable to find a solution to a problem instead of saying "well your SOL, why don't you go spend money with another company replacing a piece of hardware that is not actually the cause of the problem".

Also they should be doing that research, or walking to the shop to get manuals like in my case, BEFORE they call the customer back. If by some random act of god they don't have to wait for a call back the first thing the tech should do is type the issue into Google to obtain additional information.

That's where the fixes came from for my system. From users here on the forums and doing some research online. Being a paying customer I do not want, and should not have to, do that research for you. Offering life time tech support does not mean anything if the tech support is not smart enough to research an issue on the internet for a customer.

Edited by jmaster299 - 23 Feb 2012 at 11:08pm

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:10pm
I do understand where you're coming from, I was referring to what we see internally. This is the first time I've seen this occur on a customer's system system.

I do agree that techs can Google the issues (which they do), certain issues can be puzzling to understand over the phone, etc...

Our team does a great job in helping our customers, there are always situations that may puzzle them, but, that's where we can learn from. Big%20Smile
arch04 View Drop Down

Quote arch04 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:02am
from just skimming over this thread, i believe the issue is coming form the fact whoever built the system used the coolermaster fans and not the corsair fans.   the h80 fan controller seems to be very picky about what fans you plug into it.   

example. if a customer gets the coolermaster r4 sickleflow upgrade i always will plug the fans into the motherboard because the fans will change speed randomly and sometimes stop spinning all together.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 6:17am
"from just skimming over this thread, i believe the issue is coming form the fact whoever built the system used the coolermaster fans and not the corsair fans.   the h80 fan controller seems to be very picky about what fans you plug into it.    

example. if a customer gets the coolermaster r4 sickleflow upgrade i always will plug the fans into the motherboard because the fans will change speed randomly and sometimes stop spinning all together."

Sounds like you nailed it, Brandon. It begs the question, if dual Corsair fans intended to be used with the H80 come in the box with the system why would they use other fans instead? What would they do with the Corsair fans? They did not come in the accessory box with the other unused items. I can only guess they used the Cooler Master fans so they would all be the same. I did have the blue lighting package on the system.
J.
arch04 View Drop Down

Quote arch04 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:23am
Extra fans usually just get put to the side as extras.   If I were you I would call tech support and inquire about getting the corsair fans that came with your h80.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:50am
Exactly, they wanted to make sure we used the LED fans for your system, we've had customers complain when LED fans are not used.

We do appreciate the feedback, I'll share this with the team, we'll make sure we always use the Corsair fans with the H80/H100 coolers, etc...
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 12:44pm

Thanks to all who took the time to read and post. Problem now is how to connect the inner fan on the back of the case to a header on the motherboard. Looking at the diagram above, the available plugins are PWR_FAN2 in the upper left of the board and CHA_FAN1 just left of center. Both are blocked from access by the dual fans with the H80 radiator sandwiched in between. Just above the video card there is a USB 3.0 4 port card so there is no room for my big fingers to fit in the space to access the chassis fan port in the center of the board. In order to access either plug I will have to remove the whole dual fan/radiator apparatus from the back to be able to plug in the fan. I will get this resolved, I am determined. . .

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:11pm
Check the extra wires that came with your system and see if you have a cable with a 3-pin to molex adapter so you can plug that last fan directly into the PSU. It should solve your issue the same as plugging it into the mobo and the fan will just spin at one constant speed.

You would just slip the wire from the fan back behind the mobo where all the other wires are routed and run and run the cable from the PSU up the back side of the case as well.

Or you can remove the USB card that is in that top PCIx1 slot, plug the cable in, then reinstall the USB card.

The other option is to see if DS can send you any of those adapters or parts free as a courtesy to you since the issue you are having is not your fault.

Edited by jmaster299 - 24 Feb 2012 at 1:14pm

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:29pm
We can definitely send adapters, etc... please contact us and let us know.

We can also send you the normal Corsair H80 fans.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 3:02pm
A question for you guys: Where does the H80 plug into the motherboard? Looking at the diagram above,on the top of the motherboard there are 3 headers suitable for fans: CPU_FAN_OPT, CPU_FAN and PWR_FAN1. The chassis fan on top is plugged into one of the CPU outlets, the fan originally plugged into the top of the H80 is plugged into the PWR_FAN1 and that should leave an open port unless the H80 is plugged into one of them? I found a PDF H80 installation guide from Corsair on their website and it does not show where the cooler block plugs in.
Thanks,
J.

Edited by jseidel - 24 Feb 2012 at 3:03pm
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 3:06pm
"Check the extra wires that came with your system and see if you have a cable with a 3-pin to molex adapter so you can plug that last fan directly into the PSU. It should solve your issue the same as plugging it into the mobo and the fan will just spin at one constant speed."
There is no extra one in the leftover box that came with my system.
Is this what I want? I would probably also need the extension cable.
3-Pin to 4-Pin Adapter

Edited by jseidel - 24 Feb 2012 at 3:16pm
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 4:28pm
Noctua D14 air cooling all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Awesome
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 4:48pm
I don't t have the h80, but I believe the h80 pump body should be plugged into the Cpu_fan connector, top right of mobo between the Cpu_fan opt and pwr_fan header.   The other option would be to psu peripheral 4 pin plug.    Should be easy to trace from pump, unless blocked.    Forget the psu connection. I would think the Bios would need to sense the pump thru mobo.    

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Feb 2012 at 4:58pm

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 5:14pm
1. The H80 should be plugged into the headers labeled CPU_Fan or CPU_Fan_OPT and not the case fans. That was one of the issues I had with my system is they plugged one of the top case fans into one of those ports and I kept getting error tones when I booted my system up.

The issue is those two specific ports are designed for CPU coolers only because they have an extra pin to read and control the fan speed. Case fans are not designed to have their speed change based on the CPU temp like a CPU cooler does.

That results in an error during start up because the BIOS is not receiving the correct reading from the fan. DS likes to improperly use those ports then make changes in the BIOS to ignore that error which they should not be doing.

I rewired my fans properly and have my two top case fans plugged into the PWR_FAN2 and CHA_FAN2 ports respectively. CHA_FAN2 is on the right side of the MOBO just above the graphics card.

2. Yes that's the adapter I am talking about. Alex said they can send the adapters to you if needed.

jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 5:18pm
"Noctua D14 air cooling all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"
Yea, as always hindsight is always 100%.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:10pm
OK, I decided to bite the bullet. I took off the inner fan to see if I could reach the CHA_FAN1 header with the fan out of the way. Still just out of reach to put the connector on without possibly doing some damage. So, after seeing how easy it was to remove the fan from the radiator I decided to take the whole thing apart since I had a new fan anyway that I wanted to put the back. With the radiator out of the way I plugged the new fan into the PWR_FAN2 header in the upper left corner of the board since I could reach anything I wanted with H80 radiator and fans out of the case.
Put everything back together and all is well. Both fans are now plugged directly into the motherboard and spin full speed. The CPU is running at 26D Celsius which is barely above ambient temperature. I may have to check the CPU for frost formation.
Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.
J.

Edited by jseidel - 25 Feb 2012 at 4:14pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:19pm
Nice.    Happy it's working.     Quick question......on another post a forum member is complaining of a constant noise from they think is the H80.   Do you think the H80 is loud?    Thanks.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:20pm
Oh, and when I opened the new fan and took it out of its box there was a Molex to 3-pin adapter included with the Cooler Master LED fan. I would need an extension cable to be able to plug in the back fan with the adapter but since it is plugged into the motherboard the adapter has joined the other things in the extra box from DS that came with the system.
J.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:37pm
" Do you think the H80 is loud?"
Interestingly enough I never noticed any noise coming directly from the H80, but now that I have the fan in the back there is a hum coming from that fan. Before I disconnected it the hum would come and go, which I did not figure out immediately because I did not realize the fan was starting and stopping. Now that the rear fan is replaced and operating again the hum is constant. . . because it runs continuously. Because the rear fan is physically connected to the radiator and vents out the back I'm guessing the noise may actually be coming from the radiator of the H80? The new fan is identical to 4 other fans in the case, they are all these:
CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120
Because none of the other fans make the hum, and the fan that was in there before made the hum, the noise must be coming off the H80. Because the back fan vents to the outside and is mounted to the radiator it "radiates" the noise along with the heat. I put a piece of foam rubber on the wall behind the where the back fan vents and this has absorbed the sound somewhat. Alternately, one could unplug the rear fan to reduce the noise Don't go there with me. . .
As I said before, if I had it to over I would get air cooling.
J.

Edited by jseidel - 25 Feb 2012 at 4:40pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:49pm
Thanks a lot.   
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:54pm
New update:
The noise with the back fan plugged into the power fan header on the Mobo was too loud. Sounded like a jet taking off all the time. After doing some more reading I found my theory that the noise coming out of the back was from the H80 radiator was wrong. The noise was merely from the fan being attached directly to the case and going full speed. So, I took the back fan and radiator off once again so I could physically get to the plugs on the motherboard and put the outside fan connected to CHA_FAN1 as shown on the diagram above. What a difference in the noise level. I went into Asus Fan Xpert and now I see at that setting the outside case fan (Which shows as Chassis Fan 1)is going at about 1,300 RPM. Going with the other power fan monitor it was doing about 1,900 to 2,000 RPM plugged into the PWR_FAN2 header. What a difference it makes. The constant whine is gone and the noise level is fine for what I would expect from a well cooled high end system. FINALLY I am a happy camper!
I have read most of the applicable posts here:
Corsair Forum - Cooling
Sounds like I am not the only one with these problems with the H80. Good information there.
J.

Edited by jseidel - 27 Feb 2012 at 2:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>