Post Date: 2016-07-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
YeehawBigTires View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote YeehawBigTires Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My First Gaming PC
    Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 6:31pm
I am seeking feedback about my proposed build for my first gaming PC. Below is all the information, but I have a hard $2000 budget before shipping. My main concern is airflow with this build and not really knowing the case. I will really just be using this for gaming and I am hoping to pull of high/ultra settings in 1080p right now, and 4k in the near future. What do you guys think, and thank you in advance for the input!

Budget:
$2000

Expectations:
Play modern games on high/ultra settings in 1080p

Usage:
Gaming only

Saved Ticket #: 1455129

Specifications:
Item 1 --- Digital Storm Vanquish 5 (Config # 1455132)
$1,983.00
$1,983.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm VANQUISH 5

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA/Corsair

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Certified Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (ASUS Turbo) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 7:02pm
To max out games like hitman, fallout, farcry, gta at 4k you will need sli 1080, we could configure a system with one 1080 and you add the other later but even that way it would still be over your budget.

for your own config, the vanquish is not really customizable but change your oc to stage 1 4.4GHz

I just realized your first ticket number goes to a different build then the vanquish.

The vanquish has good airflow. But if you can ask DS to add 2 x 140mm fans to the top that would be great.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Jul 2016 at 7:16pm
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 7:09pm
I have the exact same PC (Vanquish 5 Ultimate) and just got it last Monday.

The ventilation with this case is very good, and while the PC only ships with a couple of intake fans as well as the one for the CPU liquid cooler, it appears relatively easy to add an additional fan or two, with one on the bottom blowing air up through the case and one on top used for removing hot air from the case. 

I can't speak about the 4K, though I imagine you may need SLI and not sure that this motherboard is well suited for it or not.  I went with a GTX 970 as most of my titles are older, and while I might upgrade down the road in the near future to a 1070 or even 1080, I don't plan on 4K with this build.

Quote YeehawBigTires Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 7:28pm
Thank you guys for the quick response. I would mostly be looking to play Overwatch, Fallout, and some of the open world "survivalesque" games I have been missing on console. Console makers putting out version 2.0 of their systems made me salty enough to make the switch. I looked at several PC builders and this community, customer support, and quality seems to be the benchmark in the business.    

So with my current setup running duel 1080s wouldn't be possible in the future? Is the mobo the main thing preventing this? Also, would it actually be more beneficial to step down to the 1070 and use that budget to upgrade in other areas?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 7:37pm
to really upgrade you need to move to a different model and that will take us to your budget.

Quote YeehawBigTires Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 8:50pm
Thank you for the feedback DST4ME. I don't want to invest that much into a gaming PC if I can't easily upgrade in a few years. I can push back my purchase time frame to increase my budget. Would the Apollo model be a more viable option for upgrade? I just priced that model with 1070 at ~$2150 (1080 at ~$2350)

Item 1 --- Digital Storm Apollo (Config # 1455209)
$2,158.00
$2,158.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Apollo (Black)

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)

Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

Software
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 8:54pm
Yes now you get the idea, to go sli now you need a psu upgrade and the second gpu, normally we get the psu for sli now so that you don't pay for psu twice if you will.

Not counting what I just said above your new build needs these changes:

Here you go Ticket# 1455211 --- $2,261.00 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Apollo (Black)

Core Components
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)

Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
 Post Reply Post Reply