FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Review of my new DSO Rig

Post Date: 2007-12-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My First Review of my new DSO Rig
    Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 9:36pm

Ok, so I do not have the time to do a great review of my new rig as I am going out of town tomorrow, but here is the abbreviated version.

I ordered on about November third, started in stage one on the seventh.  It was a rocky road from there. Had to upgrade the case and go with Thermoelectric cooling as it was a fire pit.  Delayed it like mad.  I don’t blame DSO entirely as they are trying to custom build and I guess, unknowingly, I had stuffed to much rig into a Twister Pro case. Many hours on the phone with Alex and Kelly and Josh and Dave and we finally came to a compromise and got her working.  Alex answered every email I sent to him and reinstalled my confidence in the delays in the build.

Alex even called me several times and assured me they were all over it and must have told me 10 times that they wanted to send me nothing but the best rig possible.  He also knew that I was shipping out on a business trip tomorrow, the eleventh, for at least a week and as much as three weeks. I live alone and HAD to have this here today, the tenth.

Arrived today via DHL, I had it, in cooperation with DSO and with added cost to me, overnight shipped from DSO on Friday.

The rig arrived, as promised before 3 PM eastern time.  The fun than begun.

The exterior box was in good shape, only one dented corner and the exterior was dirty.  It was well sealed and had several fragile stickers on it. 

Once opened, it was VERY well packaged with custom fit foam.  Everything was perfectly packed and easy to unpack.  The book was nicely organized and I like that all of the extra component parts were included along with all of the manuals.

I pulled it out, and checked it all over. I could not believe my eyes as to what I had in my hands. This rig was like a 70, Hemi, Cuda.  She Screamed raw power both externally and internally.  Its visual appeal both excited and scared me! I have NEVER seen so many and such large fans on a computer!  And the purple liquid carried by clear garden hoses to tame this beast of a processor was just plain insanity!

Not a single missing or loose screw. All of the components were still well seated.  Only one memory stick seemed very slightly loose.  I snuggled her up into the MB and then looked in the book, even though I know how to set up a computer, I followed all of DSO’s directions.

She fired up like a champ! And sounded like a 747 starting up! I then began the task of installing all of the router hard ware and software. Everything worked very smoothly. I then lugged this hulking beast upstairs and gingerly set her in my office.  Way too big to fit in my “desks” computer hole. So, she was placed loving next to my desk reserved just for my gaming adventures.

I spent the next several hours getting used to Vista will loading up my newly purchased Norton 2008, MS Office 2007 and a plethora of other basic programs and Windows Updates. I then installed my new Logitech Trackman mouse ball, my new Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, my new Razer Lycosa key board (ya, there are all the connections for it in a flip up panel on top of the case) and my Creative Labs 5.1 speakers.  EVERYTHING loaded perfectly and without a single glitch. Its like Vista and this rig were just waiting for this stuff to be hooked up!

So, now here I am.  I just loaded CRYSIS.  And, I went into the menu screen for the game. I hit the auto config button on the options menu to see what it would do, while crossing my fingers.  The next thing I know, within seconds, I get a “Warning, you have been set to very high”. Ya, that’s right kids.  This game, the recent killer of all rigs is telling me all settings are on VERY HIGH.  I also checked them.  Yup, maxed out!

So, if that is not a testament to the quality of this beast, nothing is.

To all of you there at DSO, thank you for my dream system.  It was a lot of money, some pain, but worth it over all.  You have a customer for life.

I will try to download and post some photos before my plane leaves tomorrow.

Tonight? I am pouring me a 25 year old scotch and logging on to Crysis.  It is time to put my hard earned and hard slaved over system to work.

Thanks to all at DSO for building me a visually and functionally killer rig.  Thank you for listening to me complain and holding my hand every step of the birth process of this beast.

More reviews to follow!

Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 9:45pm
... and all of God's children said, amen.

It's like being a little kid again, isn't it?
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 10:27pm

Oh, yes, Ed, you have said it all. I have just played the first few moments of Crysis and all I can must is a, WOW.  I can not believe this!

Be back later.... have to bask in the glory of all of this......... Wow.
Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
thecomplex View Drop Down

Quote thecomplex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 9:48am
Congrats - thats a monster of a system.
If you can max out Crysis... you might be able to max out Oblivion, hehe..

Chris
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.52GHz
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
(2) 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)
(1) 120GB Maxtor (7200RPM)
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Vista Home Premium 64
bfrank2me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bfrank2me Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 3:41pm
I think you guys have hit on a new advertising slogan-

"At DSO we make old men feel like kids"

...but you'd better check and make sure NAMBLA isn't already using that one...Confused
...the first hundred years are the hardest
volodimir View Drop Down

Quote volodimir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 6:58pm
you know ive been through allot of company's like cyberpowerpc they don't even ship to Canada so i don't even know why i even thought about going to them. And out of all the ads and places ive called and the people ive talked to, digital storm is the best and im not just saying tht to be all for the win but its actually true the customer support is the best ive ever seen ive called and asked questions and all my questions where answered to the full, i asked which parts where good and how should i build my rig they even customized the rig for me and it was all that i asked for, they provide you with loads of info and best thing is is that it all makes sense...Approve, i already have all my customizing done through hours of researching and calculating prices, sucks that i dont get free shipping cuz i live in canada but hey! at least i dont hve to pay gst or pst and all that stuff and ill gladly pay the shipping price and any other costs that come up because of one thing they actually put time into building the machine and treat there customers well, i look forward to buying my pc sometime around august when i scrape up the money but all in all its worth the cost and the wait, ds you got a customer for life all of my pc gaming needs are now going to be comin from ds Big%20smile!!!!!  
EAT LIGHTNIN N CRAP THUNDA
shaba_levi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shaba_levi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Dog Lover

Oh, yes, Ed, you have said it all. I have just played the first few moments of Crysis and all I can must is a, WOW.  I can not believe this!
Be back later.... have to bask in the glory of all of this......... Wow.

I have also just played through the first parts of Crysis (all settings on high, 1280x1024 res, full screen) and...lol wow.... is all i can say. i spent the first half hour just looking at peoples faces! its the prettiest looking game in the world...
DS Rig:
750W PS
Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
Nvidia 780i 1333FSB
4G DDR2 800MHz
750G HDD1
320G HDD2
GeForce 9800GTX 512Mb
HT Omega Claro+
Vista Premiumx64
Locutus View Drop Down

Quote Locutus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2008 at 1:18am
Good to know I'm not the only one running into this kind of problem, and that they do make good on their committment to service, quality, and performance. After one week of use of my new system, things started getting too hot from what I can see.
 Post Reply Post Reply