Post Date: 2015-10-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My New PC Build-Aventum 3
    Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 4:02pm
i thought i'd post the DS "build blog" of my freshly ordered Aventum 3.  i've been lurking/giving advice around here for over a year now, biding my time to drop the hammer on an expensive b-day gift to myself.  the day has arrived and after several emails back and forth between Alex and myself, we've dialed in the build and i've made the purchase. 

i thought it might be nice for some of you if i gave more insight/detail into my experience.  it's been a pleasure dealing with Alex directly.  despite being very busy with the Canada site expansion, he's been running back and forth between me and the engineers with compatibility questions on special order parts, so that i could get the system configured the way i want it.  i was advised to order a "base config" online and then submit the completed order to Alex upon completion.  i only needed to type the instructions into the "build comments" section at the bottom of the configurator to send to Alex for special order components.  after confirmation, i sent Alex my order information. there was no local pickup option on my order form, so i called DS to arrange for it (and not be charged for the freight shipping).  this was easily accomplished, but they do charge a $35 local pickup fee in lieu of the shipping charges (better than $400). 

here is the base config:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Hardline: Digital Storm Acrylic Tubing Custom Cooling System (Video Cards + CPU)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 4:02pm
on top of the base config, i've "special ordered" the following components:

+ $54 = QTY 1 = EK-Supremacy EVO White Edition CPU Block
+ $142 = QTY 2 = EK-FC980 GTX Ti Strix - Acetal+Nickel
+ $121 = QTY 2 = EK-FC980 GTX Ti Strix Backplate – Black
+ $51 = QTY 1 = EK-FC Terminal DUAL Parallel 3-Slot
+ $134 = QTY 26 = PrimoChill Rigid Ghost Compression Fittings (Anodized Black)
+ $78 = QTY 3 = Mayhems Pastel Ice White Pre-Mix Coolant

also requested was black+white sleeved cables/cable combs.

there was some question as to the compatibility of the gpu terminal, but it was ironed out easily enough.  i also contemplated changing out the fans for pwm-controlled EK Vardars.  in the end i decided to trust that DS has tested the system cooling config with their own options and that it works well.  i'm still kind of struggling with the fan issue tbh, especially concerning running "AF" type of fans mounted on radiators, when i know "SP (static pressure)" fans should be used.  the only problem is that Corsair doesn't make matching 140mm SP fans and the radiators DS uses don't support mounting 120mm fans.    

i'll update the build blog as things come up and provide a review+pics upon delivery.  thanks in advance for views and responses.

Edited by db188 - 05 Oct 2015 at 4:13pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 4:07pm
Looks awesome man. Mine too was a bday present to myself and I am so glad I bought it!!
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 4:22pm
i also struggled between an X99 and Z170 system.  for the longest time i was dead set on moving up to a 6-core.  i thought eventually game developers would really optimize multi core/threading and the 6-core would really open things up for graphics instead of holding it back.  it still might go that way, but early dx12 games in alpha/beta haven't really supported that theory.  best to go with the superior speed performance per core of Skylake. 

then again, i really like what the Z170 chipset in and of itself had to offer over X99 w/DMI 3.0 and the High Speed Input/Output options.  at any rate, since i don't plan on this rig functioning in dual roles as a gaming/workstation, i've decided to roll with Z170/Skylake for better or worse. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 4:33pm
Yeah I have a friend of mine that owns an Audio/Video company and he has been after me for a while to do some video editing for him on the side. I might take him up on that offer now.
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 5:13pm
If there is 4mm of spacing behind the fans available, you may want to consider the NB-eLoop B14-3 fans. I have seen a few comments on forums complaining about PWM circuitry noise on the 120mm models, so you'd want to go with the voltage controlled variety. And then you may want the NB-eLoop B12-1 fans for the couple on the back side of the motherboard tray. These fans would also work very well with your black/white color scheme, too.

I'm surprised you didn't spurn for a Seasonic PSU, as well.

Why do you have a remote control LED system? Is there a reason to go with that over the ones that integrate directly with the DS control board?

This looks like an awesome system...you'll most definitely enjoy it!

Edited by  - 05 Oct 2015 at 5:25pm
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 5:18pm
Sweet build db188!! I hope all goes smoothly for you!!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by 

If there is 4mm of spacing behind the fans available, you may want to consider the NB-eLoop B14-3 fans. I have seen a few comments on forums complaining about PWM circuitry noise on the 120mm models, so you'd want to go with the voltage controlled variety. And then you may want the NB-eLoop B12-1 fans for the couple on the back side of the motherboard tray. These fans would also work very well with your black/white color scheme, too.

I'm surprised you didn't spurn for a Seasonic PSU, as well.

Why do you have a remote control LED system? Is there a reason to go with that over the ones that integrate directly with the DS control board?

This looks like an awesome system...you'll most definitely enjoy it!

those are slick fans!  i was also thinking about some Gentle Typhoons, but i like these NoiseBlockers. 

i was fully intending on ordering the Seasonic Platinum 1000W, but decided on this Corsair for the following:  the efficiency isn't as good as the Seasonic (nothing is!) but the ripple is better on the Corsair and was a noted (minor) drawback on the review of the Seasonic.  also, i didn't want to go overboard on the "special ordering" because the surcharge adds up (although, THOSE FANS!).  the integrated monitoring might be nice...when it works.

on the lighting, it was an oversight on my part.  John caught it and the change has been implemented. 

thanks budCool

Edited by db188 - 05 Oct 2015 at 6:25pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 7:04pm
Unfortunately, I don't believe the Gentle Typhoon's come in 140mm: http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/g_fab/. There is a Vardar 140mm fan, but it is a slow one: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-vardar-f1-140-1150rpm

From what I recall of the Martin's Liquid Lab testing, the NB-eLoop were very close to the Gentle Typhoon's noise, although I believe Martin personally had a preference for the noise profile of the GT.

Yeah, if you want the most stable system, it's best to prioritize ripple over efficiency. A few Watts extra heat coming out of the PSU isn't going to kill you.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 8:45pm
now i'm drooling over these: http://www.aerocool.us/accessory/images/dsfan_14white.html

nvm, apparently they have a problem being mounted horizontally and they only have a 1-year warranty.  not good.  looks like the NB's are a better option.

Edited by db188 - 05 Oct 2015 at 9:14pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 1:50am
Just make sure there is enough clearance for the NB fans. They are 29mm thick versus the typical 25mm thickness, which all Corsair fans are.

Looking at the performance on the EK-Vardar F3-140ER, it looks like the most impressive 140mm fan out there. Unfortunately, it currently under recall but a fixed design should be hitting the market soon.

Edited by  - 06 Oct 2015 at 1:51am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 3:18am
Congrats on the build. Enjoy. StrongAwesome
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 5:40am

WOW

I love those DS fans! What a build.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:26am
Glad I was able to help get this custom build going for you. Looking forward to seeing an unboxing review with pics.

P.S.
Moving thread to "General Discussion"
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 2:51pm
thx for the views and replies to all. 

i don't know if it's kosher to post this, but the rads used in the AV3 are XSPC EX Series, a line of "thin" radiators, in the sizes: 1x560mm, 1x420mm, and 1x360mm.  thin rads typically have low density FPI (fins per inch).  the fins are what matters where cooling is concerned.  now, the fact that there is so much combined (you always want the most rad your case can handle) radiator here is what (should) make overall cooling awesome.  typically you'd want to run high static pressure fans through rads.  the thicker the rad, the more static pressure is needed = more rpm/better fan.  i can see why with these thin rads that it might be okay to run typical air case fans through them, but it still concerns me.

with so much rad, i can run the fans at lower rpm/voltage (5 or 7v) most of the time and get a quieter machine as a result. 

i've been handed off to John (thx for all the help again Alex), who handles all incoming orders and any changes before it goes to the engineering department and the final order is processed.   John is currently checking on the fan change i'm considering to the Noise Blocker's (thanks forum member NoName).   

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 3:28pm
You can see the radiators in some of the pics online, so no big deal.

For quality radiator reviews check out:
http://www.xtremerigs.net/categories/reviews/water-cooling/radiators/
http://thermalbench.com/category/radiators/

Xtreme Rigs did a big comparison, the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS was best slim, Hardware Labs SR2 best medium thickness, and EK XE best thick radiators.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 3:56pm
It's always a tradeoff. When you go with tighter fin density on radiator, you need more pressure, and when you need more pressure, that includes higher RPMs usually to push enough air through the fins.

If you don't push enough pressure through the fins, the performance of the radiators will dramatically drop.

We use these radiators because you can have a very quiet system and get great thermal performance. The advantage of having so many radiators is the benefit of this, especially combined with the high-performance pump we use.

The difference between options is very, very minor when you compare temps. I don't have the exact numbers here with me.

@db188, if you want us to use different radiators, please let me know via email and we can definitely accommodate. We will need to check if they will fit/work with the AVENTUM 3.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 4:48pm
Yeah, lots of trades-off and compromises. The Nemesis GTS radiators actually have thinner water channels to increase air flow through and increase fin size, but it comes at the cost of greater pressure drop in the liquid.

I'd say for the Aventum 3, especially if you only have 3 or 4 significant heat generating components, you want to focus on high flow rate and low air restriction because you'll have 2-3 x 140mm radiator area per component, which is quite a lot. So, those XSPC EX radiators might be the best trade-off for a set-up like that. If you wanted to go with the Nemesis GTS radiators, you may need to step up to a dual D5 pump arrangement.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 4:59pm
i'm only cooling 3 well-oc'd components (cpu+graphics cards), so i'm not really worried about how much rad i have (there's more than enough with this rig as is).  i was more concerned about using air fans on the rads and the case intakes (since it's blocked by the hard drive bays).  hopefully those NB's will fit, because i'm really leaning towards getting them over using the Corsair AF's.  i initially had a question for Alex about only using a single pump/res config with all that rad and he assured me they had no flow restriction problems and cooling was great.

Edited by db188 - 06 Oct 2015 at 5:01pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 5:33pm
Alex, correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like you guys use an EK XTOP DDC PWM pump or maybe a D5 Vario in your Aventum 3 builds?  

Edited by db188 - 06 Oct 2015 at 5:41pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 6:03pm
If I remember, it's basically like a D5 Vario but with a better looking design. I'll have to check with the team and get back to you.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 7:36pm
if it's not too much trouble Alex can you check on switching out (compatibility and price difference) the rads for the Nemesis GTS 140mm versions?  these are really restrictive rads, so the pump compatibility for running a 560mm, 420mm and 280mm with a cpu block+2 gpu full cover water blocks might need checking as well.  that Laing D5 should be enough, but i'm not sure.  the cooling is really superior if everything works out and it doesn't break the pocket book for the upgradeBig%20Smile
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 7:50pm
Hehehe
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by 

Hehehe
your suggestions keep creeping into my monitor budget bud.Cry
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:48pm
Well, you're doing everything up front. My strategy was to get a computer I can live with and then, over time, upgrade the components to get the ultimate system.

I've seen them use Bitspower D5 top for a while now. Not sure if they'll switch over to the new EK-XTOP Revo D5.

I've seen both Swiftech and EK offer PWM versions of the D5 pump, as well.

So, if you'd like to move on to the thermal interface material...

http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-tim-indigo-xs-intel-115x

Edited by  - 06 Oct 2015 at 8:51pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:01pm
Oh yeah, and keep in mind that the Nemesis GTS radiators are 10mm wider than the XSPC EX rads. Hardware Labs opens up the area for the radiator core to the full 140mm rather than having the flange cover part of it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:44am
@db188,

I can't seem to find supply for the 280GTS? Not sure where we could get some, places like www.Performance-PCs.com do not have it in-stock either.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/black-ice-nemesis-280gts-ultra-stealth-u-flow-low-profile-radiator.html
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:44am
Also, I suggest working me via for your order. If you can, please contact me via email "[email protected]"
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:01am
The pump we use is the following (excuse the smaller reservoir, we use a larger one): https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-140-ddc-3-2-pwm-elite-incl-pump

For the radiators, the 560GTS and 280GTS can fit, but NOT the 420GTS as it gets in way with the fluid port connects with the water block on the rear of the PC.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:46am
i wonder if the 120mm rads would work, they seem to be not as wide?  like a 360GTS??
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 12:26pm
We won't be able to use any other rad than the 420mm XSPC on the top as the entire water block channel on the back fits into that radiator.

Let me know via email on your order. Thanks!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 2:25pm
i think i'm going to have to stick with these XSPC rads, which means despite being a "slim" rad with low-med restriction the fin density on them is quite dense (i think it's FPI 17) compared to the HWLabs Nemesis GTS (FPI 8).  that makes finding higher SP fans more of an immediate concern.  those Corsair AF's aren't going to get it done.  i've got an email into John double-checking on the fit of the NB e-loop B14-3 fans.  he's already confirmed that DS can't get them thru their suppliers, but I can get them myself and they'll install them for me. 

found them at: https://www.aquatuning.us/ for $25.99 (shipping incl.)

Edited by db188 - 07 Oct 2015 at 2:28pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:29pm
i met with the Fremont, CA location manager (Jericho) last week to drop off the fans i had bought separately and got a chance to look around a bit.  he was kind enough to spend some time talking with me and listening to some ideas i had.  he also wheeled in another customer's Aventum 3 build for inspection.  i didn't want to touch it (not being my own) but i got a chance to look in and around the machine.  someone's getting an awesome rig! 

Jericho was really cool.  he said he would send me some in progress build pics and here they are:

https://41.media.tumblr.com/0cec8c47a9a62272529b82ba186880ce/tumblr_ny1adosOE01umnahmo1_1280.jpg

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:55pm
Looking nice!
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 5:18pm
Shaping up to be quite the beast!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>