FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a Gaming build under $1000

Post Date: 2017-04-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeadlyCreature View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DeadlyCreature Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need a Gaming build under $1000
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 3:08pm
Budget:
I have a bit over $1000 and I'm looking for a decent gaming PC. I do not need any accessories such as monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.

Expectations:
I just want a gaming PC good enough to run games in my Steam library that I could never start and run games without having to go to 800x600 resolution with minimum settings and such.

Usage:
I use my PC for pretty much everything, I'm usually on it 12+ hours a day. I like to record gameplay for YouTube (mainly Team Fortress 2) but I like playing a wide variety of games.

Special Needs:
Looking for a decent amount of storage since I record videos and install alot of games. I don't care if the PC is loud or quiet. The environment is somewhat dusty as it is a basement with cement floor and other unfinished stuff in it.

I'm not too good with the internals and parts of a PC so I'm not sure what parts are compatible, ,what's good, what works etc. I was thinking of a pre-built PC, but I was told that's not a good idea especially on a budget as you end up paying more for something you can do yourself.

To give you a rough idea of what my current "toaster" PC specs are:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Business (6.0, Build 6002)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: Inspiron 530
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
             Memory: 3316MB RAM
        Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
        Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100

As you can see, it's nothing pretty, just some crappy hand-me-down family PC that I've been using to game on and record. So I'll welcome a good upgrade, unfortunately I'm not familiar with specs and such or what I want, so that's why I'm relying on anyone out there who can help me here.

Edited by DeadlyCreature - 06 Apr 2017 at 8:14pm
NuWatts View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote NuWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 7:43pm
Hey there! I'm no expert or long-time veteran of these forums, but I just finished researching and ordering my second Digital Storm PC, so perhaps I can give a few pointers to help get you started!

First off, it's true that any pre-built computers (e.g. Dell) will cost you more than if you ordered the exact same parts and built it yourself. However, I wouldn't say you're getting "ripped off," after all, you're not only buying the parts, but also the service of building the computer, ensuring compatibility, customer support, etc. The point is if you're willing to spend the time, you can get better hardware for less money!

All that said, it's important to realize that ordering from a company like Digital Storm gives you more freedom over selecting the computer's components to build a PC more targeted toward your needs. However, you'll still be paying for the service of building the the computer, etc. In fact, Digital Storm is going to be giving you much MORE service, including intensive stress-testing of the hardware, individual quality checks, and stellar customer service.

For my build, I quickly looked up the best online price I could for every component, added them all up, and compared to the price to purchase from Digital Storm: about $280. I'm sure that number will be very different depending on the build. Regardless, even though I was confident that I could build the PC myself if I wanted, I decided the extra service provided from Digital Storm is well worth the cost.

Now, whether you decide to purchase from Digital Storm or not, you can at least use their site to get a good feel of hardware that would work well for a gaming rig! Here's an example configuration of their "Vanquish 5" system I tried to modify for your situation:

Configuration Code: 1642512
Total Price with Instant Savings: $966.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1642512

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm VANQUISH 5
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5-7500 (Turbo Up to 3.80 GHz) (Codename Kaby Lake) (Quad Core) (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE/MSI (Intel H110 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
Power Supply: 600W EVGA/Corsair
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Option Not Available
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: Option Not Available
Chassis Mods: Option Not Available
Noise Reduction: Option Not Available
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: - No Thanks
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I'm not sure how much storage space you need; hopefully the 2 TB storage drive will be enough. Otherwise, you could save money by removing the SSD (fast boot-up) and replacing it with a standard HDD (more storage space).

Another area to consider would be the graphics card. If you plan to play some of the newest games at highest settings and resolution, an upgrade may be worth considering. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure any new PC you buy from Digital Storm will be able to run virtually any game on the market.

Good luck!

Quote DeadlyCreature Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 8:30pm
Thank you for the reply. Also edited my post a bit to slightly reword the part where I mentioned the con of getting a pre-built one after reading your post.

For future reference also, I'm not looking for anything too fancy, for EX. could do without the internal lighting. I probably should have put that in my original post. I just want something that gets the job done, aesthetic isn't too big a concern for me, but the build is quite interesting from what I can see, it is however just slightly out of my budget as it is $1,304 when my absolute max is $1,227, but I will definitely remember this as I continue my search for a nice budget gaming PC.

More replies in here are also always appreciated, I like to have lots of various and different options then compare and see which one seems the best for me. I have my fishing hook in other waters as well so to speak and I'm seeing what bites. Trying to get advice from fellow friends and people across the internet.
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:06pm
I would suggest a Vanquish 5 level 1 with a Graphics card upgrade to a GTX 1060.  It would be $1130.00, which should be in your budget range.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 12:10am
I agree with the guys above...Level 1 Vanquish with the Recovery Disk stuff removed (as soon as you sign in with your Windows Live account, the Windows license is tied to your online profile and windows can be downloaded anytime). If you want to upgrade anythings, a GPU upgrade would be the most worthwhile. To be able to crank up the graphics settings on 1080p, you'll want the 1060, but the 1050 Ti is no slouch.

If you have hard drives you can still use and have the space you will need, you can delete the Seagate/Toshiba drive to save $84.

Quote DeadlyCreature Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:46pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider them. I may save a bit more and see if I can get Vanquish Level 2.
 Post Reply Post Reply