FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need feedback on this config

Post Date: 2007-08-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bcountry View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: need feedback on this config
    Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 1:59pm
Specifications:
Case: Digital Storm Twister PRO (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 1200W Thermaltake (8800 GTX SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI) (A1 Revision)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2 (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Media: Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 74GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (8MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 74GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (8MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Raid Option: Setup my two hard drives in a Raid 0 Stripe (Read and Write Performance Boost)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB (By: eVGA / Asus) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 (Silent Artic Cooling (TwisterBoost Overclocked)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Blue Edition)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support
Would it be worth waiting for the new SLI motherboards that accept DDR3 memory??
Randy M Kocian
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 2:24pm
Welcome to the forums!

You have a great setup, but, I do see a few concerns. First, what are you planning to do with your new system?

Gaming? - Then drop the 4GB setup and go with a 2GB Corsair Dominator setup running at 1066MHz. Because, it won't make sense to go with a 4GB setup, no game out there is going to get a better performance boost with 4GB of system memory versus you putting that money towards a better video card setup or CPU.

--- OR ---

Rendering / Multi-tasking / Gaming? - Add the 64-bit of Vista Ultimate instead of the standard version you have selected because the 64-bit version will actually address the entire 4GB

Other than that, it looks great.

Edited by Alex - 19 Aug 2007 at 2:24pm
bcountry View Drop Down

Quote bcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 2:31pm
ok sounds good on going to the different memory, will be playing lots of games with this one. You think it would be wise to hold off a lil bit till the new SLI motherboards that support DDR3 memory come out??
Randy M Kocian
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 2:33pm
No, because, DDR3 has very high latency timings. For a gaming system that's bad. DDR2 is definitely still the choice. That's why DDR3 hasn't and will not pickup in the gaming computer segment for a while.
bcountry View Drop Down

Quote bcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 2:51pm
why in the world would they even make DDR3 memory if it will slow the computer down, doesn't make any sense, thanks for letting me know that. Also if I was to add in the liquid cooling system for the CPU and video cards and at some later date I wanted to upgrade the video cards which I know I will of course, how hard will it be to do that with the liquid cooling system in place, I mean will I have to take the whole cooling system apart tubes and all to change the video cards out, I dont mean to sound stupid on the subject but I have never dealt with liquid cooling before.
Randy M Kocian
Harry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by bcountry

why in the world would they even make DDR3 memory if it will slow the computer down, doesn't make any sense, thanks for letting me know that. Also if I was to add in the liquid cooling system for the CPU and video cards and at some later date I wanted to upgrade the video cards which I know I will of course, how hard will it be to do that with the liquid cooling system in place, I mean will I have to take the whole cooling system apart tubes and all to change the video cards out, I dont mean to sound stupid on the subject but I have never dealt with liquid cooling before.

That's a good question.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 6:31pm
Just like any new technology thats released to the public. It's not going to be as good as the previous since developers haven't got use to it yet. But eventually it will become the norm.

And this is the real world, release products with the bigger numbers and people without knowledge will buy it simply because the number is better. I don't blame them =)

And yes liquid cooling is a pain in the ass in my opinion if you want to upgrade in the future.

Edited by skyR - 19 Aug 2007 at 6:32pm
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Kenny View Drop Down

Digital Storm Engineering

Quote Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 2:24am
Hi bcountry, You have a great config,

I agree with Alex, you better get 2GB Dominator 1066MHz than 4GB 800MHz, also you can upgrade your system in later with new technology coming.
 Post Reply Post Reply