Need input

Post Date: 2016-05-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need input
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:34pm
Budget:
8-10k

Expectations:
To be blown away

Usage:
High end gaming

Special Needs:
I game for a living so

Ok, so I am starting over, I think I have approached this from the wrong angle. I want the fastest cleanest sweetest set up I could possibly ever want or need for "Elite Gaming"

I think I was over investing in many areas due to a lack of understanding about the technology and what gaming pushes and needs to be pristine.

I plan on using the Asus ROG Swift 34inch PG348Q g-sync at 3440x1440

I need one open extra pci-e slot for my wireless adaptor

I plan on using a pci-e solid state drive

I plan on using 2 or more GTX-1080's when they launch at the end of the month.

how much ram? and how fast?

I-7?

Intel or Samsung on the solid state pci-e drive?

how many videos cards?

Sound Card? is there a need? what would justify having one? If so, which one do I want?

what level of cooling?

what size power unit?

how important is a raid set up to me as a gamer? if so how and what do I need to do?

I had planned on the Aventum 3 Chassis, however I am open to suggestions as long as they come with an explanation.

PLEASE help me ASAP! hehe I want to order as soon as the 1080's launch

Edited by Democules - 09 May 2016 at 6:01pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 1:08am
Hi Democules,
Welcome to DS. A word of warning, the Aventums are very HUMONGOUS. You will need space where to put it. They only ship via freight.
Others will post on the technical pros and cons of what you have listed.  They will advise in order to determine the optimum mix of parts. I can tell you that the noise suppression package is not needed, nor the wireless adapter or sound card.  Happy shopping.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:59am
What to say, the build is a monster.    

Unless you'll be streaming and recording while gaming, I wouldn't think the 8 core is needed.   Also, the 1500 watt is lots more than you need.   

In a couple of weeks the new Pascal cards will be released.   I'd wait and see what they offer, the rumor being the new gtx 1080 will be faster than the 980 ti by about 25% and less power needed.

Good luck.
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:01am
I had thought the sound dampening would be a big deal, it has been 7 years since I had money for a nice system, but my last one was soooo noisy.

I am glad you mentioned the power supply, I went with the extreme pre-made build and tweaked it. I am not very knowledgable about hardware anymore, I just research and read a lot when it's time to buy.

Edited by Democules - 09 May 2016 at 4:12pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:58am
I don't do much with audio, so maybe others can give better advice, but most find the onboard audio very good, unless you have a high end audio setup.  Mobo audio has improved a lot over the last several years.

A 1000watt psu should do it for an sli setup. 

I don't believe that WS mobo you selected has built in WiFI.  You'd need the Deluxe for that.

Edited by bprat22 - 09 May 2016 at 8:04am
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:08pm

Originally posted by bprat22

What to say, the build is a monster.    

Unless you'll be streaming and recording while gaming, I wouldn't think the 8 core is needed.   Also, the 1500 watt is lots more than you need.   

In a couple of weeks the new Pascal cards will be released.   I'd wait and see what they offer, the rumor being the new gtx 1080 will be faster than the 980 ti by about 25% and less power needed.

Good luck.

hehe, I actually started a thread on the gtx 1080 a couple days ago, I have my eye on them

thanks for the heads up on the processor too
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I don't do much with audio, so maybe others can give better advice, but most find the onboard audio very good, unless you have a high end audio setup.  Mobo audio has improved a lot over the last several years.A 1000watt psu should do it for an sli setup.  I don't believe that WS mobo you selected has built in WiFI.  You'd need the Deluxe for that. 

right on, the wifi card came with the router when I bought it, so I might as well put it to good use

as far as the sound goes, yea I have no clue, I liked the accessibility of the external audio control module...
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2016 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Democules

Budget:
8-10k

Expectations:
To be blown away
you will be.  You...Will...Be!
Usage:
High end gaming

Special Needs:
I game for a living so

Ok, so I am starting over, I think I have approached this from the wrong angle. I want the fastest cleanest sweetest set up I could possibly ever want or need for "Elite Gaming"

I think I was over investing in many areas due to a lack of understanding about the technology and what gaming pushes and needs to be pristine.

I plan on using the Asus ROG Swift 34inch PG348Q g-sync at 3440x1440
you can drive that monitor with GTX 980 on up.  i don't really recommend a 980 for value reasons, so 980ti is my recommendation or you can wait for the 1080.
I need one open extra pci-e slot for my wireless adaptor
there should be room whether you go with Skylake or Haswell-E.
I plan on using a pci-e hard drive
i think you mean "ssd"
I plan on using 2 or more GTX-1080's when they launch at the end of the month.
i'd check with DS on availability.  i've read that the GDDR5X memory it uses will be in extremely short supply and as a result relatively few cards will be produced at first.
how much ram? and how fast?
technically you don't need more than 8GB (16GB recommended for today's most demanding games).
I-7?
not needed, an I5 should be fine for gaming purposes; however, if you plan on lots of pcie devices (multiple vid cards, high speed storage, etc.) it certainly can't hurt.
NVidia or Samsung on the solid state pci-e drive?
to my knowledge Nvidia doesn't make these.  Intel or Samsung are your options. i have the intel pc750 myself.  i can provide benchmarks if desired.  it's a fast ssd, so is the Samsung equivalent.  from a gaming perspective, i doubt you'll notice the differences between the two.
how many videos cards?
currently, you get the best scaling with 2xsli.  it drops off severely after this.  if you go with Skylake/Z100 you'll be limited to 2 cards max+1 pcie high speed storage drive.  Haswell-E/X99 is for 3+cards. 
Sound Card? is there a need? what would justify having one? If so, which one do I want?
i personally prefer outputting my sound to external devices, so i go with on board mobo sound+external ODAC/Amp combo paired with headphones.  that way i don't have to worry about driver compatibility issues.   
what level of cooling?
if you want to max your oc'ing potential you'll need a custom water loop.  keep in mind that water blocks probably won't be available for the new Pascal cards at first.  that being said, in my Aventum 3 i have my cpu+2 vid cards under water and i love it.
what size power unit?
the new Pascal cards will have a much lower TDP than even Maxwell, so it depends on what you put in your rig.  if you go with a couple of 980ti's i'd say put a 1000W unit in there.
how important is a raid set up to me as a gamer? if so how and what do I need to do?
it's not.  the high speed pcie drive you intend to get is plenty fast at level loading.
I had planned on the Aventum 3 Chassis, however I am open to suggestions as long as they come with an explanation.
i LOVE my Aventum 3, as long as i don't have to carry it.  it's a great show piece as well as being the most truly "custom" case DS offers.  it is ginormous though! 
PLEASE help me ASAP! hehe I want to order as soon as the 1080's launch
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2016 at 6:27am
Thanks man, some good info.
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2016 at 2:44pm
Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)

Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Internal)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x - No Thanks

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx (Includes Audio Control Module)

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)

HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)

Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

So, I will be adding dual GTX-1080's when they launch.

I really would like feedback on my processor / motherboard choice
(more motherboard) I downgraded the choice it offered and wondering whether I made a good choice.

Edited by Democules - 17 May 2016 at 12:27pm
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2016 at 12:31pm
I think Dual GTX-1080's will run anything I could want no?

So, I will be adding dual GTX-1080's when they launch.

I really would like feedback on my processor / motherboard choice
(more motherboard) I downgraded the choice it offered and wondering whether I made a good choice.

Edited by Democules - 17 May 2016 at 12:43pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:47pm
I'll comment a bit on your CPU/ mobo choice. You mentioned 2 or more gtx 1080 and for that the X99 platform with the 5930 k would be my choice. The 5930k has 40 Pcie lanes for graphics giving you a full x16 lanes per card in sli.    The 5820k has only 28 lanes.   Now, x8 lanes to a video card is all you need at the present time, but can't say a few years from now.

The z170 and 6700k can also sli but not tri Sli.   Nothing wrong with z170 for single or sli.   But lanes to the CPU for more cards and storage is in the x99.

As far as the mobo..... You'd have to read up on the specs of each and see if one has features you want the others don't. Generally, the x99-a is fine.   The higher end boards have more overclock potential and tools for the over locker to use.   Onboard WiFi/ Blutooth, Pcie lane disable switches to isolate cards without removing them, etc are all considerations.   

Your picks look good.

Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2016 at 3:12pm
Sweet, Thx Bprat. I actually just talked to someone for a while on the phone and clarified some things, but I like hearing that I am on the right track from multiple sources. Especially when dropping 7k on a pc hehe.

I am on the Asus website doing side by sides on some mobos now. I am enjoying the research, but sometimes having someone there to explain things goes a long way.
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2016 at 10:58pm

So, order completed! This is what I ended up with 😀

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 2:12am
Congrats and one awesome rig.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 2:39am
Awesome
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:43am
AwesomeStrong EnjoyAwesomeThat is one big boy.

Edited by hoserator - 27 May 2016 at 6:20am
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:36am
NOOOOOOOOZ!!!! They are out of Aventum 3's. I have to wait until the end of June before they can even start...Cry...I waited a month for the 1080's now this ugh.

Jason was really cool and helpful btw - big props

I had a potentially huge issue with my order (payment screw up on my part) and Jason kicked ass and took names got it cleared up and kept me from ending up in a big financial mess lol!
 Post Reply Post Reply