FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Suggestions For Diagnosing Windows 8 Install

Post Date: 2014-06-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Suggestions For Diagnosing Windows 8 Install
    Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 2:12pm
Would anyone care to offer suggestions for diagnosing a Window 8.1 Pro (64 bit Retail) Installation?

I am attempting to install Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit) to an HDD. I make it through the preliminaries just fine. I select custom install so that I can direct the installation toward the HDD. The disk selection appears to go fine and as the actual Windows file installation begins an error code 0xC0000005 is thrown. The following message is also produced: "Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."

I am installing to my new Slade. The Windows installation DVD is being read by the ASUS DVD/CD. The BIOS is set up for UEFI and the HDD is formatted as a GPT drive.

What I have done so far.
01. Retryed the installation. Same error.
02. Removed all partitions from the HDD except for the ESP (UEFI) partition, the MRS (Microsoft Reserved Partition) and the Windows (Primary) partition. Same error.
03. Used diskpart to "clean" and "convert" that HDD to GPT. Same error.
04. Search for this error code and issue on the internet. Not much information turning up of Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1, or Windows 8. A surprising number of results applied to Windows 7 and to applications running under Windows 7.
05. Asked for help in these forums.

I scanned the installation disk for viruses prior to using it and did not notice any read errors. Could there be a bad file on the disk? What would be a good way to test for that, without accidentally starting the install.

I have used both the DVD/CD reader and the same HDD to install about a half dozen Linux distros - no problem. I try Windows 8.1 Pro - problems.

Suggestions?

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 3:50pm
Follow up:

I noticed that there is an option for loading device drivers, so I attempted the installation again. This time I selected the Install Drivers option and used the ASRock Utiltiy disk for the driver search. The driver search found six possible drivers. I used CTL+A to select them all and clicked Next.

The install ran for a bit, then switched back to the Disk Partition screen and indicated that I could not install Windows on the partition selected. I swapped the ASRock Utility disk out and put the Window 8 Install disk back in the DVD/CD and the error went away.

I again selected the partition that I wish to install Window 8 into and clicked on Next. The install program informed me that it may create some additional partitions. I clicked OK. ((I had tried clicking Cancel, but that just stopped the installation process from proceeding further.))

The installation program ran for a bit more, and then threw the 0xC0000005 error.

I did notice that the install program seems obsessed with Disk 0.

I have four HDD and a SSD. The install program numbers the four HDDs as 0, 1, 2, and 3; the SSD is numbered as 4. HDDs 0 and 1 hold data partitions. HDD 2 is where I wish to install Windows 8. HDD 3 is formatted as MBR and contains a Linux OS. The SDD contains my production Windows 7 system.

I discovered that each time I attempt an installation the installer creates another 300 MB Recovery partition and a 100 MB ESP (EFI System Partition) from the free space on HDD 0.

This is rather surprising because HDD 2 already has a 300 MB Recovery partition, a 100 MB ESP partition, a 128 MB MRS (Microsoft Reserved Partition) and a 120 GB Primary partition formatted as NTFS.

This suggests to me that the installation program is not making full use of HDD 2 and keeps defaulting back to HDD 0.   Whoa

Now I'm wondering if I need to find a way to get HDD0 and HDD4 to swap places. Perhaps then the installation will run successfully. 

Edited by Theokritos - 10 Jun 2014 at 3:57pm
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
 Post Reply Post Reply