Nehalem-based Skulltrail coming

Post Date: 2009-06-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nehalem-based Skulltrail coming
    Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 10:47am
Nehalem-based Skulltrail coming

In one to two months

We received a brief information that Intel hasn't given up on its Skulltrail, dual-socket super high end CPU, and that Francois Piednoe and his team haven’t given up of their dual socket super high end machine.

As you can imagine, you can expect two Nehalems inside, based on Nehalem EP and these two CPUs have eight cores and support for sixteen treads.

We don’t have the exact launch date, but we were told that it should be coming in one to two months time. If Intel prices these CPUs at the same level as previous Core 2 Extreme 9775 you can expect the new one to sell for a saucy $1499 per CPU.             

inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 11:03am
thats scarry a dul i7 with a skulltrail is prob gonna be at least 4,000 and thats only if they dont use the extreme editions. if they use the extreme editions its prob gonnna be closer to 5k basic config and i bet they're going to use the extremes . i cant imagine who in the world's gonna need 16 treads. who wants to bet when the gulftown comes out there gonna do the same thing

Edited by inferno23 - 15 Jun 2009 at 11:04am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 11:05am
this will beat the extreme edition, the cpus for this platform are 8 core cpus, with 16 threads each. so you got total of 16 cores and 32 threads, for power users its fantastic, for gamers its a huge waste.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 11:15am
i guess the only person who ive met on this forum who could possibly want 1 its justin and i doubt he would want to spend that type of money just 2 benchmark
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 11:22am
lol what about me, I'm a power user

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Jun 2009 at 11:24am
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

lol what about me, I'm a power user
Just think of the "folding" you could do with this puppy SmileSmileSmile   Ya got to admit...it's going to take deep pockets to outfit/feed this beast....and just what "case" would you be considering putting this in--surely not the "HAF"??  Wouldn't that be like your comment about dropping a Ferrari engine into a pinto Big%20smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 12:13pm
well the old Skulltrail went into an HAF, I don't see why this one would not, what would cool it better then the HAF.

having said that, folding is actually shifted toward the GPUs these days, you will fold more proteins and faster with Nvidia, ATI is pretty much useless in folding.

the problem is that you can fold great for say about 6 month those CPUs but then the work units will change and the speed the CPU was folding will get slower due to more complex work units, on the GPU this drop happens much slower and you can change GPUs real easy.

for example, right now my laptop with dual core cpu and a 8600M gpu, the gpu is folding faster then the cpu.

on top of that I'm tired of waiting , since last year November I was hopping for Skulltrail i7, now that the gulftwon is coming out and soon after that sandy bridge and etc, this Skulltrail is pretty much pointless, if it was out today, tho I would probably get it, but I'm tired of waiting.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Jun 2009 at 12:27pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 1:29pm

that still dont explain what exactly are u planning on doing with 16 cores and 32 threads. its just a waste and i dont think the skulltrail is gonna let you upgrade to a gulftown even if they make a skulltrail with a gulf town and imagine they type of heat this puppys gonna bring if u dont get LC with dual loop itll prob burn up even with a mild oc if you start wating u might as well continue waiting breaking your wait now is almost like you might as well not even wait at all. its like yoda says do or do not there is no try. now we're advising you to do what best with your moneySmileSmile. Never thought this day would comeWink

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:10pm

well the old Skulltrail went into an HAF, I don't see why this one would not, what would cool it better then the HAF.

having said that, folding is actually shifted toward the GPUs these days, you will fold more proteins and faster with Nvidia, ATI is pretty much useless in folding.

the problem is that you can fold great for say about 6 month those CPUs but then the work units will change and the speed the CPU was folding will get slower due to more complex work units, on the GPU this drop happens much slower and you can change GPUs real easy.

for example, right now my laptop with dual core cpu and a 8600M gpu, the gpu is folding faster then the cpu.

on top of that I'm tired of waiting , since last year November I was hopping for Skulltrail i7, now that the gulftwon is coming out and soon after that sandy bridge and etc, this Skulltrail is pretty much pointless, if it was out today, tho I would probably get it, but I'm tired of waiting.
Wow, interesting stats there--about the CPU/GPU and folding--never knew that Pinch

Guess I was thinking something as exotic as "skulltrail" needs to go into something more exotic than a case with "HAF" down the side--like maybe a Lian Li.  But, hey, I just wasn't thinking...I knew you don't go for that sissy/frilly stuff... 

As for "tired of waiting" ....I feel your pain.  When Alex came back and said it would be best to wait for the Windows 7 coupons to be "officially" released--that I should just wait till then--well, I felt like Wink 

Like you...it's been sooo long thinking/planning/waiting...I really miss not getting to play the new games out...but, kept telling myself be patient.  Reminds me of a poster I saw, showing two vultures sitting on a limb...and one turns to the other and says: "Patience my ass...I'm gonna kill something"  Smile

About the only way I could figure my way out of "waiting" (for all the things you think you want/need/gotta have...) was to tell myself...I needed two machines...one now, with the current stuff...and another down the road (about a year) with bigger/better/badder things...  Then, I can alternate getting them upgraded every other year or so...and having two machines is "never having to share when you don't want to" Smile Smile   On the maintenance front...figured I could swap out parts between the two to troubleshoot (if necessary)...and if I purchased just "one" crate" then I could use it to shuttle either of the machines back and forth to DSO for dusting/refurbishing etc... when necessary  Evil%20Smile   Yup, that was the "plan"...but, here I sit still waiting for (something)...a free upgrade coupon for Windows 7...  Thing is, I may not even upgrade to "7" anytime soon...always seems there are driver incompatibilities etc... when something first comes out...  For what it's worth Vista works--can I be sure "7" will do so well out of the chute?  So, why am I waiting...cuz I'd rather have the option of "7" and not use it...then want it...and have to pay for it when I could have had it for free...if I'd only waited a couple of weeks...  Sad state of affairs isn't it.  Dead

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 15 Jun 2009 at 2:12pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:22pm
@inferno, why would I want to go from an 8 core CPU to a 6 core CPU?

the CPUs will do just fine, and with a triple 14cm rad I can cool both just fine.

as for my setup, most of the stuff I'm picking are based on preference and not performance, PCs are the only area I allow myself to indulge.

for what I do, just folding alone 16 cores and 32 threads can do wonders, there is no such thing as enough power for my use, if there is power, I got use for it.

having said all that, I'm not waiting, as I said if it was out this month I would get it but I'm not waiting,s specially when there is no definite time frame.

@ Zardoz8719, you are right, I'm done waiting too, it would be nice to have the option of win7 tho, when are those suppose to be out? this month?
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:27pm
just concerned about you thats all you're the one always telling ppl not to get more than they need i was just trying to follow your ex for a change thats all.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:36pm
much appreciate it but you know I know the stuff I tell people, at the same time as I mentioned my build is based on preference not performance, otherwise I would not be getting a 6 to 8 thousand dollar PC, PCs is the only place I allow myself to indulge in preference

at the same time like I said, as a power user, if there is power I have use for it so its not really a waste for my use.

if you remember in your thread I even told you that if you want to get the 1600Mhz ram for preference that is one thing but don't get it if you think it will give you more performance, cause it wont' in games.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Jun 2009 at 2:43pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:37pm

@inferno, why would I want to go from an 8 core CPU to a 6 core CPU?

the CPUs will do just fine, and with a triple 14cm rad I can cool both just fine.

as for my setup, most of the stuff I'm picking are based on preference and not performance, PCs are the only area I allow myself to indulge.

for what I do, just folding alone 16 cores and 32 threads can do wonders, there is no such thing as enough power for my use, if there is power, I got use for it.

having said all that, I'm not waiting, as I said if it was out this month I would get it but I'm not waiting,s specially when there is no definite time frame.

@ Zardoz8719, you are right, I'm done waiting too, it would be nice to have the option of win7 tho, when are those suppose to be out? this month?
As for Windows 7 there have been a couple of articles saying there will be offers of "free" upgrades from computer compainies after the beginning of July--July 2nd?  Even read somewhere that there are offers to reduce the price of "7" for those not wanting to wait till beginning of July.  Reason being, too many people will hold off purchasing (just like us...) and that ain't good for nobody!!  Last I read...Windows 7 actually coming out...was delayed from Oct 15th...to Oct 22 (just a week--who knows why)?  But, they are definitely wanting to hit the pre...and Holiday crowds--they want the sales!!

One other thing on the horizon...is Samsung and SSDs...256mb versions...said to be out in about 4-5 weeks...   But, like you...I'm tired of waiting...I'd rather throw a few more bucks at Intel 160mb now...even if it is smaller...then wait any longer.

I'm trying--REAL HARD--to hold off till after the 4th of July...not sure I can make it...but, got to give it one more shot--hoping Windows 7 coupon will be out by then.  Angry
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:42pm
well I can't do anything till evga puts out the single PCB 295, so I'm stuck on that right now, that is the last thing I'm waiting on, maybe for once in my life I will get lucky and win7 coupons will come out while I'm waiting

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 2:48pm

much appreciate it but you know I know the stuff I tell people, at the same time as I mentioned my build is based on preference not performance, otherwise I would not be getting a 6 to 8 thousand dollar PC, PCs is the only place I allow myself to indulge in preference

at the same time like I said, as a power user, if there is power I have use for it so its not really a waste for my use.
I know what you mean...I'm frugal, logical, patient, and color-between-the-lines 99% of the time...  But, the pressure builds up...and I just gotta let go every now and then...  I've given up drinking, smoking, and chasing wild women...I've practically no fun "vices" left   Smile    As dull as it may sound...buying a fancy computer...is coloring outside the box for me.  Someone once said "Time or money you ENJOYED wasting--wasn't wasted"  Evil%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 3:01pm
lol Zardoz8719, sometimes talking to you I feel like I'm talking to my twin,

I gave up everything you mentioned also,I know exactly what you mean and where you are coming from
there is so little outlets left to have fun these days for people like us

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 3:10pm

lol Zardoz8719, sometimes talking to you I feel like I'm talking to my twin,

I gave up everything you mentioned also,I know exactly what you mean and where you are coming from
there is so little outlets left to have fun these days for people like us
Hang in there...if you're a believer...there's always the Second Coming Smile Smile Smile 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Zardoz8719

Hang in there...if you're a believer...there's always the Second Coming Smile Smile Smile 

inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 4:02pm
i know exactly what you guys mean i have a wife a child on the way etc etc. lots of things i did for funs gone 2. i used to say i wouldn't get a real job till i was 35. now im gonna be on a salary at an 7-3 job. working 40+ gours to week earning time and a half on weekends + time and time in a half on holidays. lol the worlds changing for every1 i think. i can remember not even paying bills less than a year ago. Now i got everything to worry about. This computer maybe the only thing i really get to go out on 3.

but whats with this 2nd comming nonsense all you guys know 3 is tha magic number. everything great comes in 3 somes Star Wars, LOTR, 2 girls and 1 guy,
PS3;s, etc etc etc
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 4:18pm
child on the way? you old son of gun, congrats hope things get easier for you and your family and I hope you guys get everything you ever wished
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 4:20pm
thanks but um i dont think im that old yet 19 techincally doesnt classify as oldSmile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 4:35pm
lol its a matter of speaking

19 ha? well the good news is that by the time you child is 20 you will be 39, that will be great then

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 6:44pm

well I can't do anything till evga puts out the single PCB 295, so I'm stuck on that right now, that is the last thing I'm waiting on, maybe for once in my life I will get lucky and win7 coupons will come out while I'm waiting

Don't know if you've already seen this...but,  "EVGA Releases Single-PCB GTX 295 Videocard"  Posted 6/15/09 @ 7:54 by Paul Lilly  Max PC forum...

We've heard rumors that Nvidia was planning on refreshing its GeForce GTX 295 video card with a second, single-PCB version, and it looks like EVGA is the first to offer the new design.

Core clockspeed will remain at 576MHz--the same as EVGA's previous GTX 295 videocards -- however the company has goosed the memory clockspeed up from 1998MHz to 2016MHz.

Evga also plans to sell separately a waterblock for the new card called the Hydro Copper.  The full-cover copper waterblock ships with both 3/8-inch and 1/2-inch barbs and includes "an extreme high flow path design with a unique, integrated, pressure point."

Not yet listed in stock on EVGA's website, the CO-OP is currently priced at $530.

---------------
Also, Windows 7 OEM Upgrade Program Rumored to Start on June 26th....posted 6/14/2009 by Justin Kerr.

OEM's are going to start offering upgrade coupons to individuals or businesses who buy new PC's on, or after June 26th 2009.  The coupons are rumored to be valid until Jan 31st 2010, and the OEM's hope it will be enough to prevent Windows 7 from stalling new PC purchases between now, and the October 22nd launch date. 

So....looks like your luck is holding out....both things coming to bear in the same year!   Better start rolling up those nickles, dimes and quarters...not much time left now..."T" minus (insert #) and counting...  Smile Smile Smile

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 15 Jun 2009 at 6:50pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 7:12pm
Ya I know about the single PCB being announced today, but when they will actually release it is a different story, they sure their time with the classified

thanks for the infos so looks like I will get lucky with the upgrade coupons.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 6:21am

Ya I know about the single PCB being announced today, but when they will actually release it is a different story, they sure their time with the classified

thanks for the infos so looks like I will get lucky with the upgrade coupons.

Thought it was interesting...that Alex/DSO came out with the $500 discount less than two hours after posting the latest on the free Windows 7 coupons...  Probably, just a coincidence...but, interesting  Broken%20Heart    Here's hoping the 295 card you want comes out quickly...  Ermm   As for the decision between Windows 7 coupon and $200 (more) discount--for me it's a wash...whether I use my money later...or the money they give me back--"later"  Smile
tman5890 View Drop Down

Quote tman5890 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:04am
What could someone possibly do with 8 cores???
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:36am
run multiple apps and fold with ease,
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by tman5890

Fold, run multiple apps,put the computer on constant defrag, while running 3Dmark and move physics processing to the processors wholly so that you can quickly determine the rate of descension, apogee and impact debris scatter of your ego and joy as they crash back to reality on hearing you own one of these machines... OuchOuch

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 7:00am
Originally posted by satsunada

Originally posted by tman5890

Fold, run multiple apps,put the computer on constant defrag, while running 3Dmark and move physics processing to the processors wholly so that you can quickly determine the rate of descension, apogee and impact debris scatter of your ego and joy as they crash back to reality on hearing you own one of these machines... OuchOuch
Wow, a poet...and didn't know it...  I like that Ermm
Maxnwil View Drop Down

Quote Maxnwil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 1:41pm
I work at an architecture firm, and let me tell you, I don't want to have to wait for 3 days for a model to render. I also dont want to have to stop playing games at the same time! Thumbs%20Down

These puppies would let me have the best of both worlds, while having the worst of a third, that third world being my money situation for the rest of my life...
 Post Reply Post Reply