FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Apollo Config feedback.

Post Date: 2016-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joseph88772 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Apollo Config feedback.
    Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 3:22pm
Hello everyone. Its me again. I have a new possible config

Apollo config 1525574

I might have been convinced while reading all over this forum to go ahead with an apollo config rather than a vanquish. My main concern is future proofing and having more control over all of the components that I get. Also, I may go 4k in the future, and it seems the apollo may be more equipped to do so.

However, with my new choice I need new feedback. I have increased my budget to 2,500 dollars.

Here are some details that might help.

ROOM TEMPERATURE/ OVERCLOCKING
My room temperature is ok during winter and fall, but in the summer months it can get a little hot. Nothing really bad though. I'm used to it. Just to be safe should I just opt for stage 1 overclock instead of stage 2 or will it be fine? Do you think my setup can even handle any overclocking?

RESOLUTION
I mainly want to keep at a 1080p resolution for a while still, but I want the option to upgrade to 1440p or 4k to always remain open. All of my budget is going towards this computer though so a new monitor will have to wait. And that new monitor will likely be 1080p like my old one.

FPS
 60 fps with max settings is what I want for most games. However, I could be convinced that I should go to 144 hz. I've never had those numbers before so it could be awesome.

COOLING
 Back when I was looking at the vanquish I had my concerns with the level 4 vanquish cooling unit. I was afraid of pump dying and leaking. Is the H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler safer or longer lasting than the vanquish liquid cooling. If not, how is the AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler? What kind of fan is that and how much should be overclocked with that? I'm willing to go with the liquid cooling, but if the fan is good enough then it might be the more reliable of the two. What do you guys think I should go with? Am I just being overly paranoid?

Case Fans
In this apollo build I opted just to keep the default chassis fans that come with the case. I did this because I wanted to keep under my budget. However, is it recommended to add these or is it overkill for what I have already? Do I have sufficient cooling already?

APOLLO CASE SLOTS
Is there enough slots for all of the following?
Keyboard
Mouse
Astro gaming headset with mixamp
steam controller
xbox 360 controller (this could be switched frequently with the steam one as well
Webcam
Speakers.

I would love to get some thoughts on this current apollo config 1525574

Any changes you guys think I should make? Feedback will be greatly appreciated Big%20Smile

Remember, no more than 2,500 dollars.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 2:30am
The build looks good to me.

I would stick with level 1 overclock.

The cooler is up to you and whether DS will give you oc with the air cooler.   I probably would keep what you have.   I have reservations about the sealerd coolers but they do have a very good reputation and should be trouble free for a few years.

If you want the option to 4K it'll mean upping the psu to an 850 watt .

The case fans are fine.

No internal lighting for bling ?

Looks great and hope this helps.
Joseph88772 View Drop Down

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The build looks good to me.

I would stick with level 1 overclock.

The cooler is up to you and whether DS will give you oc with the air cooler.   I probably would keep what you have.   I have reservations about the sealerd coolers but they do have a very good reputation and should be trouble free for a few years.

If you want the option to 4K it'll mean upping the psu to an 850 watt .

The case fans are fine.

No internal lighting for bling ?

Looks great and hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the suggestions and all of the help. I agree that it needs a little more bling and a slightly better psu. I also decreased my overclocking to stage 1. I'm more comfortable with that. I'm going to stick with liquid cooler. I'm sure it will be fine, otherwise there would have been much more complaints.

My new config 1526417

After making these changes my total has come to 2,492. It is so close to 2,500 that I could save money if I actually increase the total cost to 8 more dollars. The black friday sale means that if  I can get it to 2,500 I can get 75 dollars off instead of 50.

In order to make this happen I could add in factory reset feature plus windows installation cd key. That seems perfect.

A quick question about that feature. Would they partition the 50 gb space on the ssd or the hdd? Is it worth it to even get this or should I just get the cd only (that will bring my cost below 2,500 though).

Also, will having 850 watts psu slow down my system in any way if it turns out to be overkill for 1080p gaming? I got it because I want to be future proof for 4k though.

Whatever I decide on I know it will be worth it. I need to start saying goodbye to my 6 year old alienware computer. Big%20Smile

In that computer I had

i5 760 @ 2.80 ghz
R9 270X OC
8 gbs ram

I'm surprised an alienware computer lasted for this long. Its still working lol.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 3:57am
The larger psu won't have any effect, the box only giving what it needs.   No problem.

I'm not sure where they partition but I assume the OS drive, the SSD. I would get the CD. If the drive fails, then what ? No access to the partition.   You can get both for not that much more. 

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Nov 2016 at 8:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply