Post Date: 2018-05-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DieselTAO View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DieselTAO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Aventum 3 Build Help
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:10pm
Hello. Ive been lurking here for a long time and having been considering a new DS build. I have never purchased from here before. Im looking at making a significant purchase(roughly 10K) and have some questions that may seem minor but matter when spending that type of money. I'm looking for a certain look in this build and Id like to know more about how the custom lighting works to see if it can be achieved. How customizeable is the lighting? how granular is the control? How many options are there?

Im also was curious about graphics cards and the future. There will be all new GPU's released in the fall that will likely provide 30-50% performance gains over current cards. Is there any kind of upgrade path or buyback that could happen or should I just wait?

Also it seems that SLI support is going away in terms of future DirectX releases(at least officially?) so would it really make sense to buy say 2XTIs or Just one Titan knowing this? What would the performance hit or impact be?

Thanks in advance for your help.
DieselTAO View Drop Down

Quote DieselTAO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:15pm
Current config id:

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:48pm
Hi DieselTAO,
Welcome to DS. That is a strong system you configured.
What monitor resolution are you going to use? With the parts you chose you can rock a 2K and even a 4K.
I would change the Storage Set 1 to the M.2 (512 Samsung 960 Pro) NVM Express. It is better than the 960 EVO you chose. Also a bit bigger. The extra capacity might come handy. 250GB go fast with W10 already there.

I know it looks really good but there are risks with the hardline tubing and shipping and just when messing around the case for cleaning and other maintenance stuff. The soft tubing IMO is safer and looks awesome. (Also on mine (Av 2) you get QDs in strategic locations - before and after the gpus and cpu - for easy r&r.) Don't know if the Av3 has that since it uses a manifold to distribute the coolant.

You certainly do not need the Noise Suppression Package. You can do that
yourself and save 50.

The people that know don't recommend the Stage 2 oc nor the gpu oc but......
As to the OS, it comes pretty bloat free so again, your call. I would opt for W10 Pro instead of Home.  A bit more control.
And note that the warranty is only 1 year parts. That flies when you are busy enjoying your pc.

Other more knowledgeable members will undoubtedly come around and explain better and give you more knowledge based opinions. Good luck and let us know how you go. Big%20Smile

DieselTAO View Drop Down

Quote DieselTAO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Hi DieselTAO,Welcome to DS. That is a strong system you configured. What monitor resolution are you going to use? With the parts you chose you can rock a 2K and even a 4K. I would change the Storage Set 1 to the M.2 (512 Samsung 960 Pro) NVM Express. It is better than the 960 EVO you chose. Also a bit bigger. The extra capacity might come handy. 250GB go fast with W10 already there. I know it looks really good but there are risks with the hardline tubing and shipping and just when messing around the case for cleaning and other maintenance stuff. The soft tubing IMO is safer and looks awesome. (Also on mine (Av 2) you get QDs in strategic locations - before and after the gpus and cpu - for easy r&r.) Don't know if the Av3 has that since it uses a manifold to distribute the coolant.You certainly do not need the Noise Suppression Package. You can do that yourself and save 50. The people that know don't recommend the Stage 2 oc nor the gpu oc but...... As to the OS, it comes pretty bloat free so again, your call. I would opt for W10 Pro instead of Home.  A bit more control.And note that the warranty is only 1 year parts. That flies when you are busy enjoying your pc.Other more knowledgeable members will undoubtedly come around and explain better and give you more knowledge based opinions. Good luck and let us know how you go. Big%20Smile

Thanks for the input. I’m currently playing with a 34” Asus ROG monitor. I’m running Overwatch, Fortnite on max graphics with my 1080 but computer is older so no true 4K gaming which I’m looking forward to. I REALLY like the hardline tubing but see your point. Any thoughts on the lighting/color control? I’d love really granular control on that and the item discription is a bit vague. I also may only get a single Titan card because I want to upgrade cards when new gpus are released in September so trying to tweak a few things
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:46am
I don't know what you mean by "granular control" Im%20with%20Stupid so can't help there. ( if its what I think, I really can't help you thereLOL)  I'm not much of a lighting enthusiast.

Buying a Titan to change it in Sept. is bold (and expensive). Also remember you will have to remove your hardline and make it fit.
Good luck. Big%20Smile Keep us posted.

DieselTAO View Drop Down

Quote DieselTAO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2018 at 5:56am
By granular I mean the ability to custom tune the coloring to fit the exact color schemes I want, when I want them as it seems this is adjustable not just a static color light scheme . It seems some of the DS builds I’ve seen also have options in coolant color options not on the website IE UV purple. I’m also curious as to if a second reservoir can be added. I don’t want to sound arrogant but I’m less concerned with the cost of adding a new GPU in 6 months than having a bleeding edge rig. I can always resurrect the Tiitan on another of my PCs or sell it. I also would like to use the Titan Star Wars card if possible. I thought that used to be an option at DS but no longer see it in the configurator.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:29am
At this budget, you could get a single 1080 Ti and sell it when the new cards come out. There is practically no benefit to a Titan over a 1080 Ti, but it would be way harder to sell off later for a decent return. Or you could just wait.

SLI is decidedly on its way out, so for a very short term, I wouldn't waste the dough. I think a single top new gen card will give you all the performance you'll need for a long time.

I have the lighting and like it. It has 358 settings/combinations many of which are hardly noticeable variations, but with so many choices, something will please you. It can also be OFF if you want.

I would also endorse the Samsung 512 960 Pro. I question the choice of an M.2 for secondary storage. I doubt that you'd ever notice a difference between that performance vs an SSD unless you're going to move massive files around all the time. Games will load super fast without the help from an NVME. You could get the 2TB 850 Pro and double your capacity for the same money. Just an idea.

No comment on the liquid cooling. Except to say with your GPU choice in such a state of flux, whatever you get won't fit later.
DieselTAO View Drop Down

Quote DieselTAO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:24pm
Thanks for the comments. To share my thinking on the SSD/M2, my goal is to have basically ONLY the OS on the primary smaller drive and put the games all together on the secondary, larger drive. I will literally using this for nothing else but gaming and possibly some editing of family video but it would be offloaded and never stored on this rig. You sort of confirmed what I thought about the video cards IE performance. And good point on GPU cooling. Waiting is probably my best bet but I lack self control and patience. If there were a hard date on new Nvidia cards I’d feel better but the vague late summer to fall puts me off. That could mean Christmas with the inevitable constraints and would cost me 6 months or more of using this beast.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2018 at 5:31am
I'm soo in tune with the wait/no wait dilemma!

If we're going forward, I would still advise a single 1080 Ti until the next gen hits. I'm convinced a single card solution is the future, and it seems wasteful to me to go SLI for such a short while. The 1080 Ti will give you good framerates at 4k for most uses. You may find you have to dial back a setting or two for a handful of the most demanding games, but at 4k, I wonder how much you'd really notice. If you need to sell off the part later, I think for sure it'll be the more marketable one.

I get your plan for storage. Your primary will be lean and mean. I still recommend the 2TB SSD option. I know it doesn't perform like a M.2, but how fast does it have to be to load a game? The extra space though, you'll need very quickly, and will let you have all your games in one place. If you do the custom cooling, it'll be a problem to install a second M.2 later.

Everything else, hoserator

To my knowledge, DS will work with you to set up cooling loops as custom as you wish ie: two reservoirs. I understand bling, but to me liquid cooling is just an accident waiting to happen. I'm comfortable working inside my case, been doing it since ~1992. But I wouldn't like to mess with all THAT gear! Just me. Pay no attention to that guy behind the curtain.

All the rest, hoserator has covered well. The Windows tweak was more for olden times when we had limited RAM and storage space, and we needed to shrink the OS a bit.

Best wishes from here. Let us know what you decide.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:54am
With an Aventum and your apparent budget you don't really have to limit yourself on the matter of drives. Get the fastest for the os (those M.2 are unbelievably fast loading up), get a 2TB 850 Pro (or two - they are on clearance)  for games and a 4TB (or more) hdd for everything else (docs, fotos, etc.). And an external 8TB or so for backups. That should have you covered.

I agree with the lc in that you will, at one point or another for sure, work with draining/flushing/refilling the system not to mention the leaks that come up. You don't need 2 loops for just one gpu or two but.....you certainly can with the Aventum and I bet DS will ($) work to please you.

Now, with sli, I kind of hate to agree with Cretae but the writing appears to be on the wall. I will always go sli if only to have a spare gpu already hooked up. LOL
Let us know how you go.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 04 May 2018 at 12:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply