FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New build advice

Post Date: 2017-01-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mastablasta View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mastablasta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New build advice
    Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:24pm
Hey there everyone. I am a proud owner of a 5 years old Ode 3 system. It's definitely starting to show it's age and I want to upgrade to something that will pretty much blow my socks off for the next few years...

Side note, is it worth going for the 'Stage 2 Overclock' on this board/chipset/cooling?

Thanks for any tips and help on my build. :)

Budget:
$3500

Expectations:
Future proof system for the next 5 years for high end gaming and eventual 4K/VR (within the next year). Currently have an old 60hz 1080p monitor and want a higher refresh rate/response time until I switch later to 4K.

Usage:
High end gaming

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: 1583753

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (Black)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (ASUS Turbo) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Standard LED Performance Fans (Blue) Fans <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: Asus 24 inch VG248QE Series (144Hz Refresh Rate) (1ms Response Time) (1920x1080)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:39am
Hi Mastablasta...  That Apollo build looks good.  Strong

I would stick with the stage 1 overclock.  By the time you 4K, maybe a new generation of cards will be out.  The single gtx 1080 will play 4K  for sure, but not maxed out like some want.   Other that that, I've got nothing.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Quote Mastablasta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 4:48pm
Awesome! I really do appreciate the help, bpratt22! I had a feeling the stage 2 overclock was a bit overboard. I know they would make it as stable as possible, but it's unneeded stress on a CPU that is already a beast as-is. Good point! I should be pulling the trigger on this build within the next couple days now. :D

Now if I could cryo freeze myself for the next 3-4 weeks until I actually get it...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 5:01pm
No problem, my pleasure.

Just a thought but the level 2Apollo has the new Kaby Lake 7700k that Turbo to 4.5 without oc, higher than the stage 1 oc on Skylake 6700k.    But, the performance difference isn't much at all.   Not sure what I would do, although I'd lean towards the new 7700k because it's the latest and base, Turbo clock speeds are better without any added overclock.    Just me thinking out loud.

Gotta stay busy or go cryo to make it through the waiting.

Quote Mastablasta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 11:50pm
Wow, I don't know how I didn't notice that processor on the level 2 Apollo. I went full bore insane and went right up against my budget on a Level 2 build. (link to the 'new' build below)

I know that 32GB of ram is definitely overkill, but I figured 'hell, I only live once', so I went for it (plus the speed of that ram just makes me salivate quite a bit to be honest).

I also have a question about the different video card manufacturers. Is the one I selected good, or should I switch to a different manufacturer? I know ASUS is usually a solid go-to choice, but i've been out of the loop over the past couple years on a lot of the recent tech.

I also guess going with any OC boost on the CPU would be too much besides the Turbo boost? Sorry for all the questions, i'm just trying to nail this sucker down 110% before I go into cryo sleep. My fridge has been modified for the journey. If something goes wrong with the cryo and I wake up early, like in that movie Passengers, I hope Jennifer Lawrence will at least keep me company until this beast arrives. :p

Saved ticket #: 1584821

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1584821
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 2:31am
Looks good, but change the psu to the other 750watt for another $34.   It's a Gold rated vs Bronze, with fully modular wiring, meaning all the cables are plugins for easier swapping.   It also has a much better warranty.

32gb is way more than you need, but doesn't hurt except the wallet.

Not sure what DS would give you with the added oc, but 4.5 is pretty dang good.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply