FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New computer

Post Date: 2014-05-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MikeS View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New computer
    Posted: 26 May 2014 at 4:10pm
So it's time for a new computer.  To be used for gaming @ 1920 x 1200 (mostly shooters, some turn based strategy and RTS) and general every day use.  Budget is around $2500.  Looking to buy soon because my current 5 year old DS machine seems like it is trying to die, so I can't wait for SATA express drives, new Intel chips or whatever else is the next great thing this week. If I wait to long I will be living my digital life on an iPad.

What do you think?

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Storm Stryker
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 840 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooler Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Questions: Sabretooth Z87 vs Z97 Mark II?  Power Supply appropriate size? Different CPU cooler? Fan upgrades? Windows professional to allow upgrade to 32GB RAM some day? Lighting in this case?

Any other comments or suggestions?  Thanks.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2014 at 8:36pm
The Z97 will support the next generation of Intel CPUs, broadwell, which is a die shrink with only minor performance improvements; a newer Ethernet chip and onboard power protection for the Ethernet port. The Z87 has more USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps ports and comes with the Thermal Armor package, which includes dust covers a backplate for the motherboard and cover for the board that is supposed to direct airflow over the components.

The power supply should be more then enough for the system you built. If you think you might want to add another graphics card in the future, you would want to got to a 1000W or above power supply.

The case looks pretty good for cooling at stock:
Front: 120mm LED fan x 2, 1200 RPM, 17 dBA
Top: 200mm fan x 1, 1000 RPM, 23 dBA
Rear: 140mm fan x 1, 1200 RPM, 19 dBA

The only real issue is that it is a negative airflow case. So, if you have a dust environment it will be sucking it in all the time.

As far as windows, I would suggest going with Windows 8.1. It brings performance improvements for gaming and support for the current and future versions of DirectX. With 8.1 it is fairly simple to disable the Metro UI and the start menu is rumored to be on its way back with the next update.

Lighting is a personal taste thing. The case you chose has a side window, and some prefer to show off the guts of their systems. If you don't, don't worry about the lighting.

The only other thing is that the updated Haswell CPU's (called "Devil's Canyon") are supposed to be launched on June 2nd. These will have an improved internal thermal interface and better package for improved cooling and overclocking. The caveat is that there is a recent rumor that it will be a paper launch and the products won't show up until August. I personally would wait the week to find out which is the case. But, if you system is failing and you need a new one now, it may be better to just go for it.

Edited by danjw1 - 26 May 2014 at 8:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply