FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Computer

Post Date: 2016-09-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Smarmy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Computer
    Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 5:34am
Budget:
Up to 5k.

Expectations:
Excellent performance playing two 1920x1080 monitors.

Usage:
Games. Right now I am just playing DAoC but probably will pick up Witcher 3 before long.

Special Needs:
I will set up the computer in my bedroom so would prefer quiet, very little light pollution and quiet so I can leave it on while I sleep. For work, I often log on two computers remotely simultaneously and two monitors is much better than one. I also have very low manual dexterity due to injured hands but I don't expect there is any help for that in a config but if anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

Saved Ticket #: 1483739

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Quiet 400Q
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray & DVD Multi-Drive (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (6x BD-R) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 7:30am
90% of your noise will come from the gpu's fan. the only way to get rid of its sound is to put it under lc.

That case at best will only make a 5dba difference which is not enough to keep things quiet. To do that it needs to have its top closed which then takes away from airflow.

If you want quiet system you really need to go hydrolux lite or pro, with quiet fans, which that option is only available on the pro.

games do best with cpu speeds so oc your cpu on stage 1.

Coridium

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 11:22am
Thank You, DST4ME for your help.

The case you chose has a window so any light on the inside will shine out. Perhaps there won't be any light in the case but my current PC does have some. If the CORIDIUM build doesn't have any light inside, I would prefer it. In my new build I added back some items I wanted like 32GB, the bigger power supply and the Video Card. I also added a mechanical disk drive. My old PC has a 1GB drive and is pretty full with games for the most part so wanted a bit more storage.

Configuration Code: 1483872
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,251.00

Specifications:
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray & DVD Multi-Drive (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (6x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) 
HydroLux Fluid Color: White Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
The case themselves have no lights, if you mean you don't want a window 400q is one way to go.

I do have to ask if you don't mind what the 32GB is for and why the 1000w psu? Reason I ask is we go 16GB to future proof, and a good 750w/850w can do sli 1080 easy with headroom.

as for the case remember what I said about the top being open, with lc your rad is gonna go on top, aka the top will be open.

the rest looks good.

Edited by DST4ME - 04 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 4:03am
My current PC has a window and although there are no lights on the case, the motherboard has a couple of blinking small lights so I didn't want a case with a window.

I am on the fence about getting 4K, VR or an ultra wide monitor so I thought I might go SLI at some point so thought I might need a bigger power supply. Since I know now I can do 2x in SLI I really don't need it. As for the memory, I just didn't notice you had reduced it.

I think I will forget the quiet request. Getting both quiet and no window on the case just isn't worth the extra money considering I prefer air anyway. I'll post my newest iteration soon.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 4:13am
Thanks for the info, that helps a lot

1000w for sli is ok just keep in mind 850w will do it for you, but nothing wrong with going corsair on psu I like them a lot.

You are right the mobo and gpus will have leds, if you don't want to be bothered by those then get a case with no window or if possible just turn the case 90 degrees.

Since you are thinking possible 4k and vr stick with the 1080, had you mentioned that in your first post I would have stuck the 1080 in my config myself.

I think forget a quiet system, with the hydrolux lite on cpu and gpu when the pc is idle (aka when you are sleeping) the pc should be fairly quiet, and if you follow my advise below and upgrade fans and have ds connect them to the mobo you can set the fans to low when you go to sleep if needed.

Bit of info:

1. Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET ( number 3 on the list ) Or any other good light Anti Virus will do.

2. With extra fans request that DS changes all case fans and connects all your fans to the mobo so you can control them via free software. This way we can control the fans without needing anything else (aka fan controller and etc).
Also be sure to pick the color of the ring you wan the fans to have (red/blu/white).

3. The warranty here is 3 year labor and 1 year parts so if you want higher part warranty be sure to raise the warranty level to the desired level.
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 4:22am
Here is my latest iteration.

Configuration Code: 1484296
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,630.00

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray & DVD Multi-Drive (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (6x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 4:40am
That is good just remember the 750w can do sli but it would be pushing it with the oc on cpu, if you want sli ability go 850w or 1000w.

don't forget #2 on my last post so you can control the fan speeds

at idle that system should still be quiet, noctua is very quiet specially at idle speeds.
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 5:15am
Thanks again DST4ME! I won't post my last iteration since I am only changing the Power Supply to the 850w EVGA SuperNova and adding "Pleae change all case fans and connects all the fans to the Motherboard."

--Smarmy
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 5:53am
My pleasure and good luck You have anymore questions let us know
 Post Reply Post Reply