FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New DS Slade Review

Post Date: 2015-10-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
curt1 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote curt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New DS Slade Review
    Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 2:56pm
I'm very impressed with my new Slade computer, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I spent a lot of time online looking at various makes, running through various configurations, etc..., but kept coming back to Digital Storm for the options available along with the positive reviews. Each time I thought I had my configuration finalized, I'd learn something new and then go back and change it. For anyone else doing this for the first time, I recommend reading (googling) about all components thoroughly before configuring a system. That sounds like an obvious thing to do, but I did it backwards.

Anyhow, I wanted a computer to fulfill my flight sim hobby. I've been simming for many years, but always with a less than adequate system. The computer this replaces is in fact 7 years old, so I'm very slow to upgrade. I also wanted a very quiet system, because my previous one was very loud in graphic intense scenarios.

I was originally going to purchase an L4 Vanquish, but I decided I wanted the Skylake CPU. I also wanted two SSD's and one HDD. Some are comfortable with liquid cooling, but I was not so I selected an air cooler. MS FSX doesn't require a top of the line graphics card, so I went with the GTX 970, which is still plenty solid.

I received my computer and immediately loved the Corsair case. I like it's build quality, ease of access and how quiet it runs. When I say quiet, it's like comparing a Cadillac to a farm tractor. You only hear a slight hum, and this is even when I'm playing FSX. I'm an older guy, so this computer should meet all of my needs for years to come.

My previous computer averaged around 18fps in FSX. My new Slade averages between 41 and 80fps, depending on the plane and scenery in use. Best of all it's super smooth, no stutters and I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Not everything was perfect, however, but my problems were quickly solved. First, the overclock on my system wasn't stable, and I was getting blue screens regularly with various error messages. A forum member had me take my BIOS to default removing the overclock and that solved the problem. I could go back in and overclock, but my performance is so outstanding that I have no need. The Windows update feature was disabled on arrival, so tech support resolved that for me. The last issue was the power options in Windows 10 weren't working, and I found that there's an issue with the Extreme 3D joystick that interferes with Windows 10. It will take Microsoft to fix that bug.

So all in all, it's an excellent system and I highly recommend it for those wanting a powerful and quiet system.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 4:05pm
a Skylake cpu base and boost clocks seem like factory oc'd already at 4.0/4.2GHz respectively.  there's still room to get more performance out of them at relatively minor voltage tweaks (at least up to 4.6GHz) on average.  it's just that oc'ing Skylake is a little more involved than things have been for awhile.  you might not have any need for it now, but you can at least revisit it in the future, if desired and it only costs you time to get the settings right for stability/temps.

it's going to take some time for M$ and software developers to get in step with the new OS.  it's always the same process. 

glad to hear you're enjoying your new rig for the most part and thanks for sharing your experience.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 4:30pm
Hi curt1,

Thanks for the review.

If you call tech support and tell them you have problems with the OC they will walk you through adjusting it. A simple process with DS helping you. I would do it right away instead of waiting. You have a great CPU and should take advantage of all it can offer.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Oct 2015 at 4:30pm
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 4:32pm
Awesome. My new Slade is on the way. I should have it on Monday!
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
 Post Reply Post Reply