Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Inceptive View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Inceptive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Gaming PC
    Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 6:49pm
Budget:
$13000

Expectations:
Top of the line PC for 4K gaming at preferably 60 FPS or more. Ideally also have some room for future upgrades when new hardware comes out.

Usage:
Mostly gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG mostly) and general web surfing but I will probably dabble in things like rendering videos, 3D modeling, and photo editing.

Special Needs:
PC will most likely be on a wooden floor since the desk I have isn't very big. Must be fairly cool and somewhat quiet so I wont wake people up at night.

Any help on what parts to get for this would be much appreciated.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:25pm
Wait until the 22nd for the Aventum 3. Get a full Hydrolux cooling loop on both the CPU and GPU. The full water cooling and lots of radiator surface area will mean the fans can be turned down really slow and be very quiet.

Your budget can go with either the 980 Ti Strix or more expensive Titan X. Right now, you probably want to go with a 2 GPU set-up...more GPUs can give you better frame rate averages, but there are several reviews of 3- and 4-way GPU set-ups where they were complaining about the jitter of the frames being pretty bad, even though the average rate was up. The Titan X will give you a few frames per second advantage over the 980 Ti and the additional VRAM (12GB vs. 6GB) would help in compute intensive activities, when you're editing videos, for instance.

If you're going to be editing high resolution video, get as much RAM as you want...quantity is much more important than speed. If you're only dabbling, I'm guessing 10-bit color isn't as important to you, so you needn't worry about going with Quadro GPUs in the professional workstation. Going with either an i7-5820K or i7-5960X would be the choice for you. The i7-5820K is the cheaper option, but the i7-5960X will have 2 additional processing cores (good for editing, again). Any motherboard will do for you...if you are going to dabble in overclocking, as well, then you should opt for the Rampage V Extreme.

As for storage, you'll want a fast PCI-e NVMe drive for you OS and programs, as well as space on it for putting editing projects on it...4K projects will get up to be ~100GB per minute of footage. For mass storage, SSDs are noiseless, minimal heat, and very fast, but are quite expensive per gigabyte. HDDs are cheap per gigabyte, but have noise and generate more heat from moving disks in them. Samsung now has 2TB SSDs out, but I don't see them being offered by DS yet. But, those drives would be easy to install if you purchased them separately.
Inceptive View Drop Down

Quote Inceptive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:13am
Would having 3 or 4 GPUs be better in the long run? and would you recommend the Titan X or 980 Ti.

Would 32GB of RAM be fine?

What is the difference between PCI-e NVMe and SSD?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 10:37am
3 or 4 GPUs probably wouldn't be better in the long run. The best path would probably be with 2 now and upgrade them in the future. As for the Titan X and 980 Ti...you're going to pay around 50% more for the Titan X and the return is going to be a single digit percentage boost.

32GB RAM should work. Working with higher resolution video editing will chew up memory. If your system runs out of memory, it will start to swap files between the memory and storage, so you'll experience some pauses during that.

The issue with solid state storage drives for a while had been the interface was a major bottleneck. The PCI-e connection (up to 32 GB/s) is much faster than a typical SATA connection (600 MB/s). NVMe also helps the situation because you don't need to translate the communications protocol for solid state storage. It's like being able to speak English the entire time instead of tranlating it to a foreign language and then back to English as has to be done with AHCI (used on the legacy SATA interface).
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 3:48pm
modeling favors fast single cores while rendering favors more cores.  i've seen performance tests in 3DS Max and AutoCAD where an I7-5820K beat out Xeon processors simply because the I7 is much faster.  rendering is a different matter, and while you can render just fine on an I7, the 10-14 cores of Haswell Xeons are what you want if most of what you intend to do with the comp is heavy rendering work. 

based on your stated needs, being heavily weighed towards gaming w/some light dabbling into modeling and rendering, i would concur with the previous poster that an X99 system centered around an I7-5820K or I7-5960X would probably be the best advice.  you want a min. of 32GB of system ram (2666Hz is fine).  i'd also recommend a couple of high capacity ssd over mechanical hdd for reliability, speed and silence.  just factor in that if you go with ssd on a pcie connection it will occupy and take away from the total number of pcie lanes from the cpu.  so, the I7-5820K has 28-lanes, both the I7-5930K and I7-5960X have 40-lanes.  the vid cards (depending on mobo) will either be in a x16 or x8 config, while the pcie ssd will be in x4 config.  now, whether running at x16 or x8 doesn't really effect graphics performance in any meaningful/measurable way.  so, if you do the math you will see that you can run 3x vid cards and 1x pcie ssd (28 total pcie lanes occupied) in a x8/x8/x8/x4 config on even the entry level Haswell-E cpu (assuming the mobo you select offers that config). 

i'd normally recommend the GTX 980ti over the Titan X for the same reasons as the previous poster; however, since this isn't only a gaming rig and will be used for productivity work i think the extra vram of the Titan X will be of value to you and your budget allows for it.  for realistic 4k gaming, you're going to want at least 2 of them.  3x cards is arguable (due to poor sli scalability), 4x cards is a waste of money (and won't be doable with an I7-5820K because of its 28-pcie lane limitation).  if you're going to try to drive multiple 4k monitors a 3x card investment might be a good investment, on a single 4k monitor stick with 2x cards. 

i also favor a custom water loop over both air cooling and AIO CLC options.  a custom loop offers better thermal and sound performance and is expandable.  be aware that a Hardline acrylic or copper piping config will make it harder to maintain/and or expand on the system, so if you go with either of those options you'd probably want to get the config pretty much nailed down during the initial build. 

Edited by db188 - 10 Sep 2015 at 4:00pm
Inceptive View Drop Down

Quote Inceptive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 7:46pm
Are there any differences between 2666Hz and 2800Hz RAM?

Also, copper piping looks so much better but will it mean I wont be able to switch out parts or is it that its harder to add extra parts?
Inceptive View Drop Down

Quote Inceptive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:03pm
Will the PCI-e NVMe make a huge difference and is it worth the price increase?

I am still not quiet sure what storage configuration and capacity will I really need but I wonder if this is fine:

2 x 512GB Samsung PRO
2 x 2TB or 3TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition
and maybe a Intel 750 series if I believe it is worth it.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 8:55pm
Anandtech article on how well memory speed scales.

You're right that copper (or any hardline) tubing makes it difficult to swap components. In fact, I believe it was mentioned by one of the DS employees that hardline (including copper) won't have the quick disconnects on the Aventum 3. Flexible tubing is the way to go for flexibility in changing things in your machine.

I'd go with a PCI-e NVMe drive over any RAID 0 configuration. RAID 0 can fail in multiple ways and isn't always faster. The 400GB drive should be fine for your system drive. Size the mass storage for all of the media and other files you wish to have. Enterprise doesn't give your any extra reliability according to this study. But the brand of HDD mattered: HGST > Western Digital > Seagate.

Edited by  - 10 Sep 2015 at 8:56pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 1:15am
it's a minor speed bump and tbh you can achieve the same results by oc'ing your 2666Hz kit as long as you get modules that are capable of it (both the LPX and Dominator lines can oc).  i wouldn't even worry about it, just set the XMP profile and you're good to go.  the capacity is more important anyway for the work you want to do. 

regarding the water cooling options-it's not that you can't swap out components on a rigid tubing (acrylic or copper) config, it's just much easier to do with flexible tubing equipped with quick disconnect fittings (that seal themselves).  since DS only does single loops (meaning all water cooled components are being cooled by the same liquid source) you'd have to drain the entire loop just to swap out a graphics card for example.  you'd also have to remove fittings and tubing.  you'd still have to remove the water blocks themselves from both regardless of the tubing types. 

one downside of flex tubing is that a lot of manufacturers use plasticizers (it's what makes rubber and plastics flexible) in them and can cause leeching over time that flakes off and gunks up the works.  this can be really hard to remove from your loop as it will lodge in the rads, blocks, etc.  if you decide to go with flex tubing, stay away from tubing that uses DEHP plasticizer in its manufacture process.  you need lab-grade tubing and it's expensive.  the only non-leeching flex tubing that i know of is Primochill Advanced LRT and the Tygon E1000.  clarify with DS on this. 

on the subject of storage-i would think you'd want raid 1 on you data storage hdd for safety.  nothing's faster than those pcie ssd, so if you need the bleeding edge go for it.  however, i seriously doubt you'd regret the speed of the 850 Pro even over SATA III and you can go with a higher capacity single ssd for OS+games for the price of the Intel 750 drive.  again, it just depends how much cash you want to shell out.   

Edited by db188 - 11 Sep 2015 at 1:28am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 2:34pm
We use Tygon E1000.
Inceptive View Drop Down

Quote Inceptive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 5:15pm
I would like to have copper pipes but will they be available on that aventum that's coming out because I cant find them on the configurator.

Also, are AMD GPUs any good compared to nvidia? I am currently looking at the 2x 980 Ti and 2x 295x2
Inceptive View Drop Down

Quote Inceptive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 5:15pm
So will copper pipes be on the new system thats coming out or is it going to be discontinued.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 7:39pm
Alex on the ball!Cool

Alex answered the copper/nickel piping question in another thread.  yes, the AV3 will have that as an option down the road, but not at launch.  it looks like they'll only offer flex or acrylic tubing options at launch.Sad
Inceptive View Drop Down

Quote Inceptive Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 11:14pm
Do you know how long would the wait be?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Alex

We use Tygon E1000.

Alex, someone else posted this on another forum pointing out that Tygon E-1000 is extremely flexible and may not be retained well enough with compression fittings:

Originally posted by http://www.performance-pcs.com/tygon-e-1000-1-2-id-3-4-od-plasticizer-free-tubing-clear.html

Warning:
This tubing is basically rubber in consistency; compression fitting solutions may not be possible due to this rubbery/flexible nature of the tubing itself - - the compression collar may not be "tight enough" on the tubing, allowing you to yank the tubing off the fitting with little effort. Therefor we are not responsible for this possibility if you decide to use compression fittings with this tubing. Clamps are recommended!

How is your guys experience using Koolance and XSPC compression fittings (and possibly other brands) with it?

Edited by  - 22 Sep 2015 at 12:19pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:41pm
It's been perfectly fine, we've been using our stuff for a long time. If we were not confident i them, we would not be sending systems worth $5,000+ and knowing we have to provide warranty and lifetime support.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Alex

It's been perfectly fine, we've been using our stuff for a long time. If we were not confident i them, we would not be sending systems worth $5,000+ and knowing we have to provide warranty and lifetime support.

I wouldn't think so. This just was a little bit of a odd finding. I'm guessing it may have something to do with DIYer's incorrectly installing stuff.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 2:32pm
the complaint/warning is that Tygon E-1000 is too "waxy" for compression fittings, and this makes it susceptible to being easily pulled out of the fitting with any amount of force.  hose clamps are recommended.  as for its being too soft and flexible causing issues, as long as you don't do tight bends (as you can see in the DS pics they use a support bracket in their tighter bends to prevent kinking) you should be safe from kinks.  it really depends on the wall thickness of the tubing.

for what it's worth, i got this user statement from overclock.net thread titled "Tygon User Club": "Hi, I'm also using E-1000 in my loop. I tested the statement with several fittings. For Monsoon compression fitting, it does come out if you pull hard enough. But I could also pull off Tygon 2375 (much harder with durometer of 70+) from the same fitting with a little more force. I think it is unlikely that such a force would be imposed in your loop. For Koolance compression fitting, which has slightly larger barb and tight compression ring, I couldn't take off the tube from the fitting. I believe that Bitspower fitting has similar feature so it won't be a problem. You can still test on your own to see how much force do you need to pull the tube out. I personally feel comfortable with E-1000 connected to my Monsoon fittings"

Edited by db188 - 22 Sep 2015 at 2:43pm
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 6:51pm
Beast!
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse