FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New GCU Suggestions

Post Date: 2012-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Desamation View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Desamation Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New GCU Suggestions
    Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 12:13pm
Hey guys and gals,

I migrated from Alienware to Digital Storm two years ago and never looked back. At the time, I dropped an ATI 5870 1x into the system. Well, as technology goes, the card is now at the end of its illustrious run.

Since it is still under warranty, DS is giving me credit towards a new GCU. With so many to choose from and with ATI coming out with their new 6900 series, I was curious to know what the community recommends for performance, heat, and noise. Having something that is relevant for a long time is what I am striving for.

For sake of conversation, I am getting a $150 credit from DS and will be able to invest an additional $600 for the card. I have been looking at the GTX580 series but I have seen reports of overheating issues and decibel levels not being great.

Thanks for the input peeps and I look forward to the suggestions.

I will be sure to post my overall pc specs when I get home from work tonight.

Quote Desamation Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 8:52am
Sorry I didn't post my specs sooner. I had a death in the family that took my obvious attention.

To clarify too, the pc is used for gaming and graphic design.

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz Quad
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3x SLI
6GB of DDR3
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair
Noctua Dual 120mm Fans
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 9:24am
To know what GPU you need we need to know the resolution of your monitor. But with that said in most cases many of us recommend the GTX570 2.5GB over the GTX580 1.5GB because the performance difference between the two is minor.

Also there is no situation where the 570 2.5GB is not enough and the 580 1.5GB can cover it. Any time you are playing at a resolution where the 570 is not enough it will always require that you upgrade to SLI. Simply upgrading to the 580 over the 570 will not provide enough of a boost on it's own.

In addition to know the resolution of your monitor we need to know what games you will be playing at those resolutions. The demands of something like CS:S, TF2, WoW or SWtOR are nothing compared to the demands of games like BF3.

The new ATI 7970 also does not offer enough of a performance increase to make it a viable single card if you are playing at a resolution that the 570 can not handle on it's own. The 7950 is even worse and is down right laughable for a "new" card.

Quote Desamation Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:06am
The monitor is a Samsung 23" HD LED 1920 x 1080.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:51am
Ok, 1920x1080 is the point were a single GPU can not be enough to play at Max/Ultra settings on some games, so lets try to break down some options. I'll use BF3 as a reference point for all of this.

At 1920x1080 you are going to x2 GTX 570's in order to play BF3 with Max/Ultra settings. This comes from both Digital Storm's own review of BF3 and various benchmarks of different GPUs from guru3d. No single GPU, even the 79770, can play BF3 at 1920x1080 with Max/Ultra settings.

At those settings the 7970 falls short at only 47fps, which is unplayable and it only beats the cheaper GTX580 by 4fps. So if you are going to play games like BF3 on that monitor you are either going to have to go with a SLI set up or play at slightly lower settings.

If you drop the settings down to High, which still looks fantastic, you can play games like BF3 with +60fps on a single GTX570. For the 570 I personally recommend the EVGA GTX570 2.5GB version the DS offers and you will most definitely get use out of that extra VRAM in games like BF3.

The GTX570 2.5GB is the best performance vs price card on the market right now for high end gaming. The 7970 is just too expensive for the single digit frame rate increases it offers.

kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:43am
just a quick off topic question since you guys are talking about battlefield 3... can that game be played with the xbox controller?
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:57am
It depends on if the PC version supports it or not and I am not sure if it does.

Quote Desamation Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:29pm
First off, I want to send my thanks to the community for all of the feedback! It has been greatly appreciated.

After getting off the phone with Tech Support, I wanted to ask a few more questions.

The rep I spoke to suggested that a single core 7970 for $688 would be the best bang for my buck because it is the most powerful single core card on the market today. Yet, the rep stated that the best decision would be to invest in a single 590 for $789 instead since it is a dual core.

I did discuss with him that the community recommended that I go with a dual 570 grouping but the tech stated that it would not give me the experience factor when gaming. The community in this thread stated that the 570's would give me the perfect setting for games like Skyrim. The tech said that there is no way that dual 570's would allow me to achieve ultra settings for Skyrim.

Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, I wanted to get some additional feedback. Thanks Everyone!!!!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:46pm
With all due respect, the Rep you talked to is wrong.    We have many forum members with sli 570' s, like the ODE3 for example that Max BF3 and Skyrim with no problem...jmaster's previous posts, go up a couple, does a good job of explaining this without me just repeating what he said.      Just a side note....I play Skyrim on ultra settings on my gtx560 with only a little stuttering very randomly.   Skyrim is not as demanding as like BF3, which does need sli 570.

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Feb 2012 at 1:51pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Desamation

The tech said that there is no way that dual 570's would allow me to achieve ultra settings for Skyrim.

The level of wrong with this statement is incredible. I know a lot of statements when it comes to the best setups can ultimately be boiled down to opinion, but that is just plain, flat-out, unarguably, wrong.

Take a look at this test, notice the SINGLE 580 (inferior to SLI 570s) and its performance level on Ultra at 2560x1600 (way above your resolution).

So in this matter, I stand by my fellow forum goers previous recommendations of the 570 (or SLI 570s), el fin Big%20Smile

Edited by Tidgxor - 20 Feb 2012 at 2:01pm

Quote Desamation Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:40pm
Hence why I am relaying the information given to me this morning. It was a complete 180 on what everyone was telling me.

I just want to make sure that I am making the right informed decision here.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:44pm
Desamation......either ask for another tech to talk to or just tell him what you want.    It is your final decision.   Just the fact he's recommending the gtx590, a terrible decision, makes it all suspect.

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Feb 2012 at 2:48pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Desamation

Hence why I am relaying the information given to me this morning. It was a complete 180 on what everyone was telling me.

I just want to make sure that I am making the right informed decision here.

Definitely! Awesome

I was just showing you that test as a way of providing some numbers to back up my statement.
 Post Reply Post Reply