New Graphics Card = Reboots

Post Date: 2015-12-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Graphics Card = Reboots
    Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 7:28am
My DS computer is 6-7 years old. My original configuration was a EVGA X58 SLI motherboard, GTX 260 video card, Corsair 650 power supply. About 4 years or so ago I updated my video card to an EVGA 560 Ti card. A year or so ago I tried to update my card to a GTX 750 Ti but after installation my computer simply rebooted over and over again so I returned the card. Yesterday my 560 Ti crapped out completely. I bought a EVGA GTX 960 card and it did the same thing. Every time the computer starts it goes through the Bios startup screens and when it finishes and goes to the blank screen that always occurs between the Bios finishing and Windows 7 loading screen starting, the computer reboots over and over again at exactly the same point. Why will the 560 Ti work and the two faster Nvidia cards I have tried simply cause my computer to continuously reboot at exactly the same spot. One person at Best Buy says its my Windows 7 video drivers that load automatically just as Windows 7 (64-Bit) Enterprise begins loading. Says an update to Windows 10 will solve problem. I see his point but can't believe I have to update to Windows 10 to ger any graphics card I try above the 560 Ti to work properly.

Please help! I have had to resort to my GTX 260 for now and that is a horrible down-grade.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:14am
The guy at Best Buy is on the right track but then got side-lined. Hahaha

Go to GeForce.com and download the latest driver for your card.  Try another driver if that doesn't work. 

Rebooting after the Startup screen is sometimes an indicator that a driver is bad as Windows goes to load them.

You don't always have to, but do a Clean install of the driver.

Hope that does it.  Big%20Smile
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 11:55am
But it is strange that I have the latest Nvidia drivers and they were working fine before my 560 Ti crashed. Also, how do I load the drivers if my computer will not stop rebooting? Do you think I can boot into safe mode? Oh and it doesn't reboot after the Windows 7 startup screen it reboots during that second or two between the Bios finishing loading and the first Windows loading screen (during that second or two when you screen is blank).
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:15pm
I would try Safe Mode with Nerworking.   The text might be huge if it defaults to VGA but still useful.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:30pm
Another thought is to install your 260, it runs, download latest driver and install, then swap cards and see.   Windows will install the new card from drivers it has.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:48pm
i'd uninstall all vid drivers from your system, then install the new card and update its drivers from NVidia's site. you don't need to update to W10, that's just bunk. if that doesn't work you could have a bad card.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:47pm
My last machine had a similar problem, and I fixed it by changing the "Memory low gap" setting in the BIOS.

See this thread for more info:

http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/unable-to-boot-with-more-than-one-980-gtx-tidf23643/
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:39pm
Thanks. Plenty of things to try. The memory low gap would be an easy fix if it works. I checked mine and it is set to Auto. There was another setting I thought might be problematic and that one was under PnP/PCI configuration and I think it was called PCIE Maximum Payload Size and mine Bios only showed one setting - 128. I thought that might be important but there was no way to change it. Will try some of this out when I have a chance and let you know if anything works. Thanks all.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:55pm
You'd set the memory low gap to its highest setting, turning off Auto. I believe on the older x58 boards that fixes newer video cards with the higher 4gb vram, not a 2gb like the 960, but worth a shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply