FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Laptop or repairs?

Post Date: 2018-03-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Totoro View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Laptop or repairs?
    Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 4:33pm
Hey all,

I'm an returning customer looking to make an upgrade soon on my laptop. I have the Viper model from 2013. Unfortunately, though the hardware is still working just fine, the charging port has a break on the outside, and occasional sparks come out when the battery is plugged in. There'll also a few cracks in the plastic around the back. Is there any way to get these types of problems repaired? It seems silly to get rid of a perfectly function laptop over relatively superficial problems, but I don't know if these can really be fixed.

If not, I'm curious to see when DS is releasing the new laptop line they say is coming in March. Could I get an ETA on that announcement!

Thank you!
For SCIENCE!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 5:26pm
Charging port getting worn and causing issues isn’t unusual for an older , well used laptop.   It can be fixed and requires pulling apart the clamshell designed case to get at the port.   Then it’s soldering in a new port, sometimes directly to the board or a couple of wires that go between the port and circuit board.

If you’re up to it you could do it yourself, but most won’t want to do it.    The second option is to find a local shop, or Geek Squad type center, to do the repair.   Probably cost a couple hundred bucks, mostly labor.

Hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply