Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 12:10pm
Budget:
[2500 or less]

Expectations:
[I would like a laptop that will last for a few years.]

Usage:
[Some gaming, mainly internet and email, multitasking]

Special Needs:
[Not comfortable doing upgrades myself so want a machine that won't need to be upgraded for sometime.]

Saved Ticket #: [1269856]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 1:06pm
Your configuration looks pretty good for the Triton chassis.  I don't really see any changes you need to make.  I was going to say you might want to look at the Avon, but the screen rez on that one can't be changed and will be difficult to push pixels at Ultra settings on most games, even with a 980M.

If you are open to a 17.3" model, there may be other options, but what you have looks good.
wenatachii View Drop Down

Quote wenatachii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:06am
Does the Avon have better screen quality. What would you suggest in a 17.3 model.

Thank you for your response.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:22am
I don't do much with laptops, Roykirk is the guru, but the Avon has a 4k screen, 3840x2160 pixels vs 1920x1080 for non 4k.   Lots more for a graphics card to drive.

Edit.... Here's a link for some comparisons.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=4k+vs+1080p+gaming&biw=1600&bih=789&tbm=isch&imgil=eklpuaZHHfKpRM%253A%253BZYJe5vBwgR9LCM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.youtube.com%25252Fwatch%25253Fv%2525253DY4zu3Z1rotc&source=iu&pf=m&fir=eklpuaZHHfKpRM%253A%252CZYJe5vBwgR9LCM%252C_&usg=__TtS0l8aRAtuJbdEFLbiooJJii4g%3D&ved=0CCcQyjdqFQoTCJm0o8rJyccCFUIVHgodhxkP_g&ei=RSzfVdn9I8KqeIezvPAP#imgrc=Gu5ZLYb6YfmlwM%3A&usg=__TtS0l8aRAtuJbdEFLbiooJJii4g%3D

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Aug 2015 at 8:29am
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by wenatachii

Does the Avon have better screen quality.

Not having seen either of them, I would wager the Avon has the better screen simply because of the higher resolution, but, as mentioned, that resolution causes a high price in the ability of the graphics card to push all the pixels at an acceptable frame rate.  Even with a 980M, if you want this laptop to last a few years and play most current games at High-Ultra settings, I would recommend a 1080p screen.

What would you suggest in a 17.3 model.

Of the 17.3" models, I would go for a Harker myself, especially as right now it appears to be the only 17.3" model available other than the SLI Behemoth, which is older chassis model and more expensive.  Other 17.3" models may become available again.  Someone at DS would have a better idea of what's in the pipeline.  They're likely out of stock on parts, and so are not offering others at the moment.  That happened to me when I was ready to buy my Krypton last year, and all I had to do was wait for the parts refresh for them to offer it again.

Here's solid base configuration: 1270893

You want to focus on some essentials with the laptop when making the initial purchase in order of importance:

1) Best GPU you can get, even if it's questionable whether you can afford it.  In this case, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 980M.  Upgrading a laptop GPU down the road is a questionable and very expensive proposition, so get the best you can now.
2) Best or close to best CPU you can afford.  Same caveat as above regarding upgradeability.
3) OS drive must be an SSD, and the biggest one you can afford.  An SSD is the single greatest performance boost with current PCs.  They blow platter drives out of the water.  If you can get one big enough to install all your games, all the better.  250GB minimum is my recommendation.
4) RAM should be 16GB minimum these days and that will also last you quite a while with little need for an upgrade.  You can upgrade to 32GB if you want later, but the slots to install that upgrade are harder to get to than the slots that are taken up by the 2 8GB SO-DIMMs already installed.
5) 2nd data/game drive.  SSD if possible and recommend 1TB.  If you can't afford it now, you can buy the platter drive like I have in the suggested configuration above and upgrade later.  Upgrading either of the 2 drives is the easiest upgrade you can perform on a laptop other than the pain of reinstalling an OS or copying over the data from the old drives, but it's easy even for one who's not very technical.

Hope that helps.

Quote wenatachii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 10:37pm
Very helpful

Thank you.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:18pm

Very helpful

Thank you.

You're welcome.  I don't know if I'm the laptop guru around here, but I think I'm the laptop evangelist.  Evil

Quote wenatachii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 8:47pm
I like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply