Post Date: 2014-12-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wahabi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wahabi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC build
    Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 8:33pm
Hello, I'm new to posting here and I hope I did this correctly.

Budget:
Less than $4000 if possible

Expectations:
I am looking for something top of the line, yet not extremely pricey. For example, getting a GTX 980 instead of a Titan.

Usage:
I am primarily using it right now for gaming, but within the next year and for years to come I will be using it for programming and possibly extensive multimedia work.

Special Needs:
There really are not many special needs, I, like many others want to maximize performance for multiple different purposes without spending my lifes savings only to have it be obsolete in a year+ time.

I'm also new at building pc's, please forgive my ignorance. I mainly need to know a couple of things. How good is my CPU? Is the 980 ideal for what I'm going to be doing? How about the Power Supply, do I need more than 705W right now or can I get by with that for a bit? Finally, I am quite confused on which motherboard I should get.

Configuration Code: 1121452

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I apologize for the spam, thank you for taking the time!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 3:19am
Hi Wahabi.... Welcome to the forums.   Looks like a good build to me. You didn't mention the monitor you'll be using, but for a single 1920x1080 the gtx 980 will play great.   

The 750watt psu is all you need.

You could save $243 by going with the 5820k cpu. The only difference between the cpu is that the 5930k has 40 pcie lanes for graphics from the cpu and the 5820k has 28 lanes. For your single gtx 980 or even adding another in sli, no difference in performance. Each card only connects with 16 lanes max and 8 lanes of data is all they need.   The difference in base and turbo clock speed is irrelevant with your overclocking.

The Deluxe mobo is perfect. The other is for quad sli, 4x graphics cards or if you're into doing your own overclocking and pushing it.

Looks great, hope this helps and good luck.
Krudd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Krudd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 6:38am
What monitor will you be using now and do you have any plans to upgrade in the future? How heavy of a gamer are you?
Aventum II
HydroLux Copper
i7-5930k
ASUS Rampage V - X99
32GB DDR4
4 x GTX980
3 x ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift
Wahabi View Drop Down

Quote Wahabi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:06am
Alright awesome! I will be getting a monitor, I just have not decided which one to get yet, but I will look for a 1920x1080.

So for running just one card, I will not need any more power than that? Excellent.

Okay! That sounds like a deal, though I'm not sure exactly what the pcie lines do. Is it just data that runs through my card? And if I only use one card, which uses 16 lanes max, I will not need the 5830k?
Wahabi View Drop Down

Quote Wahabi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:07am
I am a hardcore gamer, but I'm also in school for programming. I bought a 23inch Asus a few months ago and I will use that. But I'm also looking into a 1440p Dell. Not sure what I want to do though.
Krudd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Krudd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:11am
If you're only going to play with a single monitor that won't exceed 1440p, you've got a glut of power in the system to handle just about anything. You might want to increase capacity on the hard drives though. You stated a desire to use the system for multimedia work, and that can chew up space pretty quickly.
Aventum II
HydroLux Copper
i7-5930k
ASUS Rampage V - X99
32GB DDR4
4 x GTX980
3 x ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:14am
Yeah, the Pcie lanes are the number of paths the data uses to communicate between the cpu and graphics cards.    Cards only use 16 lanes but even at 8 lanes, very little or no difference.     The Pcie slots the cards plug into are 16 lanes wide but sometimes are electrically only giving you 8 lanes, depending on the motherboard and number of graphics cards.  The 5820k is all you need.  The 5930k has the added lanes but unless you go to a quad sli setup, not needed.  

If you ever need more graphics power with a higher res monitor, you can add another 980 and hook it up as sli.  

If you look at Krudd's signature with his system specs, he has a 4x 980 setup, so the 5930k and better mobo was needed. 

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Dec 2014 at 7:17am
Wahabi View Drop Down

Quote Wahabi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:23am
@Krudd

Alright, that makes sense. I will be adding memory space eventually but I do not need it right now, maybe in a few months. I have a 2tb external that I may store some things on until I upgrade my SSD.

@bprat22

Okay, so if I get the 5830k it would only really be useful if I were going to buy another 980 or have another GPU? Otherwise it's a waste of money? I probably will not be getting another card unless it is really really needed.

Question about monitors. A hypothetical situation, if I were to buy that 1440p or some high resolution monitor and have my other monitor also, would it strain my card or something else in my system? Or would I be okay?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:29am
The 5930k would be needed if you went with 4x 980, otherwise you're good with the 5820k.

You can easily run the two monitors of the single card.  In fact, you can run four monitors.   There is no added strain with additional monitors, physically, but the more screen the graphics card needs to render, send images to, the slower your gaming.   If the second monitor is for surfing or other light duty, then little difference.   Streaming with the second monitor will effect gaming on the first monitor. 
Wahabi View Drop Down

Quote Wahabi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 7:42am
Okay awesome, this has been so helpful! Thank you both very much!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 9:23am
Our pleasure. Big%20Smile

Stay in touch . 
 Post Reply Post Reply