FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PC Config - Advice Needed

Post Date: 2017-11-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stickman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stickman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC Config - Advice Needed
    Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 4:30pm
Budget:
$2000

Expectations:
"Future proof" as much as possible (8 year functional life with upgrades to RAM, storage, future Windows updates, and video card only).

Usage:
50% basic use (web browsing, etc); 20% photo editing, 10% video editing, 10% Home Office suites, 10% games (nothing too fancy).

Special Needs:
I want fast access to files, fast loading. I have a NAS for storage of photos, but I want to edit files on the desktop obviously. Eventually, I'd like to a bit of VR gaming, but that is probably 2 years away before I get to it. I'm curious if the power supply choice, the cooling, and MB will sustain me for the duration as I am comfortable doing limited upgrades only (as noted above). I don't need RGB, lights, etc. Just a quite, durable, and long lasting system. I plan on adding an additional SSD in the future depending on my budget at the time. Thank you in advance!   

Saved Ticket #:
Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1779152
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 5:39pm
if you want a cpu that is not slow 6 years from now you gonna want the 8700k

ram needs to be upgraded in batches now so go with 16gb now and that should keep you over for 8 years imho.

the psu you have picked is a good one. I think it has 10 year warranty.

not sure how many years warranty mobo has but that can be your biggest problem. My system is 10 years old and I can't get the mobo for it anymore, if it goes then its done.(of course I went for the mobo with most quality and those are the most expensive ones)

add your own second drive yourself later.

1060 should do fine on 1080p for mild gaming.

changed cooling to h115i it has a 5 year warranty. you can go with air coolers but they are not as good in performance.

look at this ticket 1779227

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Nov 2017 at 5:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply