FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PC with $2500 budget.

Post Date: 2014-10-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
biggmac101 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote biggmac101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC with $2500 budget.
    Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:36pm
Budget:
$2300-$2500

Expectations:
I want to be able to game at 4K resolution when monitors start to drop in price, and have room to add a second video card eventually.

Usage:
I want to be able to play most new games at high settings and eventually on 4K resolution. I have been looking at the Apollo level 3 with the only change being upgrading the motherboard to the G1.Sniper Z97. I chose this one only because it was the cheapest option that allowed for SLI and has a Display Port connection, which the description says is capable of running 3840x2160 @60HZ. Although the description confused me a little with an * that's says "Support for DisplayPort 1.2 version". Does this just mean I can plug a Displayport 1.2 monitor into it? Also, is Displayport going to be a format supported into the future or will HDMI 2.0 make it irrelevant?

I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone, because I really just started looking into getting a decent computer and don't really know what I am doing. Here is the system I have been looking at. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Saved Ticket #:1063465
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Onboard Creative Sound)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Quote biggmac101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:46pm
Sorry, I should have also added that I do not need a monitor, mouse, keyboard etc.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 10:43pm
I would probably go with the EVGA 850 watt PSU since it has the 10 year warranty plus a little more room for future upgrades.I would also go with a WD black HDD instead of the seagate.

The 980 is a great card and gives you a possible upgrade to SLI with a second one down the line.

The display port from the MB will not be used anyway since you will be using the GPU ports.

Quote biggmac101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 11:17pm
Thanks for the advice! Now that you mention about the monitor plugging into the GPU ports that makes a lot of sense. But it also has me womdering if I chose the best one for my purposes. As I said I just picked the cheapest one that allowed SLI. Are there any features that would be significant to my gaming experience that the more expensive motherboards offer over the one I selected?

blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 11:55pm
Considering you plan to game at 4k it would help to know what current and future titles you plan on playing. Playing an MMO for example versus a FPS like Farcry 4 does make a difference on what video card to pick per playstyle and budget. 
The performance between the 970 and 980 is not by far a large margin (most benchmarks I've seen showed about 5% to 8% on reference cards) but the cost per performance is. Being under $400 you can get SLI 970 for under $700 versus $1k+ with the 980 card. Something to consider if you are on a budget or you do not play FPS games primarly

Edited by blackcatfoe - 13 Oct 2014 at 11:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply