FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New rig has arrived - Review & Pics

Post Date: 2009-07-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
williamsw2 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New rig has arrived - Review & Pics
    Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 4:35pm

Well, my new DS Gaming Rig finally arrived today.  The wait has been torture but well worth it.  I have been itching for a new gaming PC for the past few months now and like always started to do my research.  My current PC was from Overdrive PC and it is 3 years old.  They are a small boutique builder out of Georgia that was acquired by Velocity Micro a year or two ago.  The two guys I dealt with from OPC (Mario & Aaron) are no longer there and that played a part into my decision to make a new purchase instead of sending it back to them for upgrades.  MY OPC has been a fantastic machine.  My PC before that was an Alienware.  I don’t have anything bad to say about either company as my experiences with both of them were excellent. 

So after researching ********, Velocity Micro, Digital Storm, Falcon NW, and a couple of others,  it was narrowed down to ******** and DS.  I enjoyed my experience with OPC and Alienware when they were considered smaller boutique builders and wanted to purchase from the same type of company.   Anyway, I finally made the decision to purchase from DS.  The combination of performance, customer service, and price won out in the end.  I felt as if I was getting more system for the same amount of money with DS.  Throw in the promo and an active community forum and I knew I made the right choice.

Configuration/Budget

The new DS rig will be used for mostly gaming on a 1920 x 1200 monitor with an upgrade to larger monitor in the future.  I lurked in the DS forums for quite some time reading all the different configuration threads.  I only wanted to spend around $2800 to $3000.  I knew for this price I could get a top notch gaming rig from DS.

I really liked the colors DS posted of the Tesla system with yellow hose clamps and green cooling liquid.  I asked Sarah if that could be done for my rig and she said yes.   I wanted to do something a little different than just red.  I was hoping the liquid was going to be more yellowish like the Tesla pics but I still like it. 

Digital Storm Desktop 133340 Quantity: 1 $3,001.00

PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $300 Quantity: 1 ($300.00)

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Interior Finish: - Standard Factory

Finish Trim Accents: Paint Screws and Hose Clamps – I ASKED FOR YELLOW

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)

System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)

Card Reader: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)

Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)

Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks

Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)

Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)

Add-on Card: - No Thanks

Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU

Liquid Color: UV Green: High Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)

Enhancements: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)

Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)

Windows Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)

Virus Protection: - No Thanks

Office: - No Thanks

Benchmarking: - No Thanks

Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks

LCD Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: - No Thanks

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: - No Thanks

External Storage: - No Thanks

Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Sub-Total: $2,701.00

Tax: $0.00

S&H: Ground $0.00

Grand Total: $2,701.00

Ordering

Once I decide on the config, I called Sarah.  She approved and I placed my order and readied myself for the torture of waiting.  She even threw in a free copy of Far Cry 2 and a T-shirt.  I also called Sarah several times after the order was placed due to having some second thoughts about a few options and she eased my worries…LOL.

Sarah was very cool and patient through the whole thing and helped me get the shipping upgrade the day it shipped.

Processing

Ordered 6/19

Stage 1 – 6/19

Stage 2 – 6/22

Stage 3 – 6/22

Stage 4 – 6/25

Stage 5 – 6/25

Stage 6 – 6/30

Stage 7 – 7/1   SHIPPED!!!

Order was shipped 9 business days from the date I placed it. Very impressive!

Well, that is it for now. The rig just arrived and the only thing I had time to do was unpack it and take some pictures before I had to go back to the office.  I will get it up and running tonight.  Enjoy the first round of pics.  Rest of the pics can be seen here:

It looks fantastic.

***UPDATED***

So far so good.  I have had one little hiccup with the sound but it must be my new headphones because my other headphones work like a charm.  I purchased some Razer Barracuda Headphones to go with the sound card but for some reason can't get any sound.  My other headphones work though so there may be a setting or something I'm missing.  Might give DS a call tomorrow see if they can help.

No gaming yet.  I have been installing and downloading some games...Arma II, Age of Conan, BF Heroes, Empire at War.  I'm about to install Far Cry 2.

Enjoy some new pics:

***Update***Set UPWell, I finally had a chance to get the new DS up and running.  Set up was a breeze.  Everything has worked perfectly.  I originally thought I had an issue with my new headphones but I just missed the setting in the Razer Soundcard configuration to make them work.  So far this machine has been an absolute joy.PerformanceWOW!  What can I say?  It freaking rocks.  I don't do any type of benchmarking or anything but it has handled everything I have thrown at it and then some with ease.  This is what I have been playing at 1920 x 1200 with pretty much high or max settings.ARMA II - looks fantastic and runs really well at my res and high settings.  this game is a hog too.Crysis - very smooth on combination of high settingsEmpire Total War - the real time battles look amazing, game play is super smooth on highAge of ConanBF HeroesFar Cry 2I am also very pleased with the noise level which is something I was conerned with.  The system is relatively quiet.Final ThoughtsMy experience from choosing a config, to ordering, order processing, shipping, and performance has been nothing but top notch.  I believe I will be a DS customer for life.  Basically, this is one killer system.Here is pic of my desktop.  Finally got it setup how I like.  Stole the wallpaper from someone on this forum...LOL.    If anyone has requests for more pics let me know.  I will be happy to oblige.

Edited by Alex - 04 Oct 2010 at 9:18pm
sjjohns23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sjjohns23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 4:49pm
The yellow clamps with green fluid make it pop.  Can't wait to see some pictures with it lit up.  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 5:47pm
Wow very nice and it looks like it arrived in good shape you are lucky

very clean and beautiful now how about some pics with the lights off and the PC running
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 6:39pm
Very Nice!
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:10pm
....I rather like your color scheme...something different...am envious--mine is only in stage 4  Wink  Enjoy...Evil%20Smile
Jennings386 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jennings386 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:41pm
My build is almost exactly the same and is currently on the way (Scheduled delivery of 6 July 2009).  I can only hope that mine is that impressive when it shows up.  It will be one very long holiday weekend waiting for it.

As a side note, what were the stats of your OC and temps from the stress test?  I'm just curious how other systems very similar to mine have turned out.

Nice dog too.  I wonder if yours was as afraid of your new system as much as my Border Collie and Shepard will be.

Edited by Jennings386 - 02 Jul 2009 at 8:43pm

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 9:00pm
The dog wasn't really afraid of it he was just curious, had to sniff it out...LOL.

Here ya go...

The status of your amazing new Digital Storm system has been updated!

Stage 7: (QA Passed)

Your order has successfully passed our stringent quality assurance process. Everything from top to bottom on your purchase has been verified by an experienced Digital Storm technician.

-------------------------------------------

Testing Details By: Thanh

-------------------------------------------

Processor Temperatures

Idle: 45C

Overnight Load: 81C

Important Notice: Overclocked systems will definitely run hotter than stock units. Your unit has been tested to be fully stable in our stress-test facility at these temperatures.

Overclocked Processor Settings

Processor Speed GHz: 3.5

CPU Multiplier: 20

Voltage CPU VCore: 1.3375

VDroop Control: Yes

i7 - BCLK MHz: 167

i7 - Voltage QPI\DRAM:

i7 - Voltage QPI\PLL: 1.200

i7 - Voltage CPU VTT: 125

i7 - Voltage IOH Vcore: 1.300

i7 - Voltage ICH Vcore:

i7 - Voltage IOH/ICH I/O:

i7 - PWM Frequency: 800

780i/790i - Memory Clock Mode:

780i/790i - CPU FSB MHz:

780i/790i - Voltage FSB:

780i/790i - Voltage SPP:

780i/790i - Voltage MCP:

Motherboard BIOS: SZ2F

Video Card Driver: 186.18

Chipset Driver: CD

Sound Card Driver: CD

I'm just now getting around to setting it up.  Booted up no problem, everything seems to be good.  More details and pics later.
jean luc picard View Drop Down

Quote jean luc picard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 9:00pm

congrats on the new gaming rig,it looks totaly awesome.

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 12:20am
thank you.   still getting it all set up though.   posted some new pics in original post.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 2:59am
nice pics love the new ones

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 5:52am

Thanks for the nighttime/UV/lights-on pics...great job...  There's several of us out here waiting...and although looking isn't quite like having--it helps Ermm Thanks for the public service Smile 

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 7:43am
No problem. Let me know if you want to see any other pics or whatever.
Still haven't had a chance to do any gaming but did let it download some steam games all night.  Here are temps this morning:

Edited by williamsw2 - 03 Jul 2009 at 7:53am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 5:07pm
williamsw2 ,
Great pictures and an excellent write up!  I hope that you are enjoying your new dream machine.  I love mine!!
Ouch
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 5:17pm
thank you william, can you give a screen shot of realtemp and HWMonitor side by side while the PC is under load? when you get a chance that is, I would really appreciate it

nice temps btw
aaronevil View Drop Down

Quote aaronevil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 8:39pm
very nice pics and I really dig the color scheme

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

thank you william, can you give a screen shot of realtemp and HWMonitor side by side while the PC is under load? when you get a chance that is, I would really appreciate it

nice temps btw

Yes DST I will.  The longest I have been able to game without interruption was about an hour last night.  I played ARMA II and Battlefield Heroes.  I checked the temps when I was done and honestly they didn't change much.  What do I need to do to put it under heavy load?  Play something like ARMA II or Crysis for an hour straight?

Updated post with my final thoughts and review.  I'm so pleased that I bought from DS.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 10:44pm
william2 please go here and download real temp and then please run both HWMonitor and realtemp at the same time in the background and then play your games for an hour, then if you can please post a screenshot of both of them next to each other so we can see the numbers.

I'm trying to see if there is a big difference between HWMonitor and realtemp. thank you so much

I got to say your rig looks sweet

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Jul 2009 at 10:45pm

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 11:46pm
This after playing ARMA II for about 40 mins. 

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 12:15am
thanks man, lol that makes it even so far.
eastor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eastor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 2:36pm
Awesome rig man...I have a similar setup with the HAF 932 and 1000 Corsair and should be getting mine in a few days.   I went overkill on mine but my wife allowed me, so I had to take advantage. lol  I wonder what the dual loop cooling system for 3X285s will look like but I like your color scheme.  Looks awesome!

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 10:13pm
thanks man. i want to see pics of yours. i could have gone overboard but in the end decided i didn't want to spend more than 3k. i think i might send it back in at some point and upgrade to tri sli and dual loop cooling or the vid cards and a solid state drive   

pls post pics of yours.

on another note, alex or someone from DS answer a question for me. the liquid color in the picture of the tesla system, what color is it? when i change the liquid out one day can i get that color? thanks.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 10:22pm
its green if I'm not mistaken, whenever you are ready to upgrade to SSD we can do that ourselves, no need for you to send it back.

for the other stuff its better to send it back.

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 10:45am
is it just regular green then?  I got UV green.  Maybe thats why its not yellowish in the light, more kelly green.  Still love it though.

So, I hvae to drain the liquid every couple of years and refill?  Also, I need to keep an eye on the reservoir and fill as needed? Where do I purchase the same liquid?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 1:30pm
every 3 years or so its a good idea to flush the system.

you might need to add a little bit of liquid if the level goes down on the reservoir, the fluid you can call DS and ask them for the exact model, then you can get it from DS or from Fluidxp themselves.
scaner View Drop Down

Quote scaner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 2:27am
nice review..
GTO - Cooler Master HAF 932 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz/oc 3.4 (1333MHz FSB)
(12MB Cache)
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad Chipset: nForce 780i SLI Vista64/Samsung 2233BW

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB
Costone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Costone Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 1:55pm
Love the dog licking his chops......even he knows how good DigitalStorm is....
Velox X | ASUS Prime X670-P | AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | 64GB DDR5 5200 | 2TB M.2 Samsung 980 Pro | RTX 4070 Ti | 850W PSU

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 12:55pm
@williamsw2, that color is a yellowish green, and we can mix a solution for you.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Alex

@williamsw2, that color is a yellowish green, and we can mix a solution for you.

Is this what you guys in the Biz call "Sunday Service"...  What, no day off to rest Hug

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 13 Jul 2009 at 1:43pm

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 10:17am
@ Alex, I would like that very much.  How do I order it?

titusmckieus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote titusmckieus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 11:00pm
williamsw2 and others where do you find that shortcut dock? that you have on your desktop. is that part of a theme?I have been seeing it on here and i really like that but cant seam to find it

Edited by titusmckieus - 13 Jul 2009 at 11:01pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 12:37am
williamsw2 call them and request it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 5:34pm
Yes, please contact us.

Originally posted by williamsw2

@ Alex, I would like that very much.  How do I order it?

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 10:22am
Originally posted by titusmckieus

williamsw2 and others where do you find that shortcut dock? that you have on your desktop. is that part of a theme?I have been seeing it on here and i really like that but cant seam to find it

It's called ObjectDock from Stardock and it's free.

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 9:53pm
Hello all, i wanted to provide an update to my original review of my DS System.    I have had the system just over a year now and I gotta say that this is the best gaming pc i have ever owned.   The system still runs flawlessly. I even purchased a blu ray drive from a local store and a DS tech helped me install it.    One year later and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

If there are any potential customers out there, you won't be disappointed with a DS rig. I thought an update 1 year later might be helpful to others and potential customers.

I'm also really wanting to run a 3 monitor set up and might send my rig back in for an upgrade to eyefinity.

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 9:57pm
Wow, i don't know what happened to my original post. I was editing the topic and something weird happened.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>