FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Vanquish 2 Ultimate shutting off randomly

Post Date: 2015-02-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BizarRabbit View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BizarRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Vanquish 2 Ultimate shutting off randomly
    Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 8:24am
I've had my Vanquish 2 since Friday February 13th and everything has been going great. I have only installed essential programs and games from steam. I've played a couple games for hours at a time perfectly fine.

Just yesterday I played Saints Row 4 for about 8 hours. However, today I have to start my pc 3 times because it keeps shutting off randomly. The first time it cut off after 20 minutes. The second time after 3 hours. I also struggled to get it to shut on this morning. I had to unplug the surge protector it is connected to and replug it back in. (The surge protector worked my last computer perfectly fine for the last 4 months.)

I'm not sure what to do. I live on the east coast and everything has ground to halt due to snow. What steps should I be taking. Thanks in advance to any help given.

Edited by BizarRabbit - 17 Feb 2015 at 8:25am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 8:50am
Hi BizarRabbit....   Sorry to hear.   Shutting down can be a number of things.

Is it shutting off completely, no lights, no green led on motherboard, etc? 

Plug it directly into a wall outlet, bypassing the surge protector and try it for awhile.  Surge protectors can cause issues. 

Open the side panel , with rig off, and make sure all the plugs to the motherboard are seated firmly, even unplugging and replugging if you can.  Same for the plugs to the video card. 

Could be overheating...... Make sure the cpu air cooler's fan is running and also the fan in the video card.      If they are then download and run HWMonitor, a free program.  Leave it open while running a game or whatever was shutting it down and watch the gpu and cpu core temps.     The max should be 80's Centigrade, not F, or less.  If the temps climb into the high 90's C you might have a cooling problem.

If all that checks out, go into Bios, DEL key on boot, and load defaults to drop the overclocking.  You can always load it back later.  Defaults is usually F5 and then F10 to save and Exit.  With the SSD you might have to try going into Bios a number of times.   

It could also be a bad power supply but those checks are needed first.

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile   Call DS if you can in a bit when they open if none of this helps.   They'll get it going.     

Edit... forgot to mention.... Make sure the video card is also seated firmly, reseating it if you can.  Same for the ram sticks next to the cpu.  Things can loosen during shipping. 

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Feb 2015 at 9:04am

Quote BizarRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:16am
It shut off completely, no lights except the wight led on my gpu.

I have plug it directly into my wall socket, removed the side panel and now have it sitting on the top of my desk. It has been running since I posted in the technical assistance forum. Everything seems snug and secure and all fans are running and running quietly.

I also got HWMonitor. I haven't run anything but that and the internet and all my temps are below 40 C except my mainboard which says it is 114 C.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:46am
Let's wait and see how it runs.  Big%20Smile

The motherboard temp doesn't matter.  If the 4 cpu cores and the gpu core are good temps then it's not an overheating issue, usually.

Quote BizarRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:50am
Okay, because I have been reading up on motherboard temperatures and apparently that is pretty high. So I am a bit worried.

My living room temperature is 78 F (Its below 20 F) outside right now so I'm not sure if that is contributing to the temperature. It is the warmest I am running my house since getting my new computer.

SpeedFan is reporting the same temperature as HWMonitor.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:03am
I personally have never paid attention to the mobo temp because I've never seen it cause a problem...   Shutdowns are the gpu and cpu monitoring.  When I get a minute I'll check mine for comparison.  In the mean time, call or email DS and ask them for piece of mind.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:27am
HWmonitor lists my Vanquish mobo temp at 119C ... that is incorrect, Speccy says 28C after hours of fallout.

i learned at the beginning, ignore HWMonitors mobo temps.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:39am
Speccy, under motherboard, has my system temp at 24C, but who knows what it's actually measuring, and where.   I might try looking up my mobo and trying to find where it is.  

I can see the mobo temp also in Bios under Monitor.   That might be a place to double check it.  

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Feb 2015 at 10:45am

Quote BizarRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 11:07am
Well it has been four hours since the last time it shut off so I will keep my eye on it but I also have been doing anything intensive.

I'm going to try some games out and see what happens. I will update this post in a few hours.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 11:15am
Sounds good.  Awesome
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 11:17am
This may help, it may not.. but it is information.

AS you can see, on my year old Vanquish II, HWMonitor, Speccy and RealTemp agree on most everything except mobo temp. HWMonitor is not a good resource for mobo temps, imho.

Also, SpeedFan, when trying to install on 8.1 (which they do not claim compatibility) gives me the BSOD. There's a program I will stay away from in the future.

Again, not right or wrong, just information from another Vanquish.
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 1:09pm
" I also struggled to get it to shut on this morning. I had to unplug the surge protector it is connected to and replug it back in. (The surge protector worked my last computer perfectly fine for the last 4 months.)

I'm not sure what to do. I live on the east coast and everything has ground to halt due to snow "

Don't rule out the power grid. A couple people I play with live in the NY and Boston areas and have random shut downs also.

A reset of a substation or transformer can cause weird things and take from a couple seconds to minutes to complete. Also power companies just troubleshooting grids or monitoring them in situations like this can cause problems in the internet of things.

Edited by Pacesetter - 17 Feb 2015 at 1:11pm
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"

Quote BizarRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 4:39pm
So after several hours of playing the Old Republic, on max settings, I think its safe to safe its not overheating. I never went above 69 C and average between 50-52 C on my gpu. My cpu maxed at 66 C but averaged between 48-50 C during play. This was the internet (youtube) up and steam.

I think it might have had something to do with the surge protector. That is just weird as I have always had my computer on one.

I will continue to monitor the situation. Thanks to all for the help.

By the way, do you guys suggest leaving the side cover off or keeping the system closed up?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 3:49am
Glad to hear that it's staying at a nominal temp.

My Vanq covers are on all the time while in use. I don't see a reason to keep them off if your temps never reach upper 70s / low 80s. It's like the last effort in cooling your machine before you can fix it.. like turning the heater on full when your car is overheating (if you understand the analogy) its only a stopgap measure.

But, once a month my entire system (hardware and software) gets a good cleaning that includes all the case mesh to verify that there is sufficient opportunity for airflow.

But again, this is my way, ymmv.   
gumbercules View Drop Down

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:52pm
Hey y'all.  First post.  I just got my Vanquish II on Tuesday and am having similar problems, but much worse.  The first time I booted, it went to Windows in like 3 seconds, which is incredible since I've been using a machine I built in 2007 that takes like 10 minutes Whoa. Pretty excited!

However, while installing antivirus, etc., I lost all display. I didn't want to hard reset, bc I know that's bad news, so I switched the DVI to HDMI and still nothing. I left it alone for a bit and came back and the system had shut down on its own. Ok weird. So I try to boot up again and it just kept starting/shutting down five or six times rapidly before shutting off entirely.  I restarted again manually and Windows finally booted.  However, after maybe 20 minutes of trying to install software, the system just completely froze (no mouse movement, keys, couldn't CTL ALT DEL).  Now anytime I run the system, this is what happens, but it's worse now, usually locks up shortly after booting and trying to do any kind of simple process.

I've been on the phone with tech support already.  Removed OC from BIOS and the guy asked to me to call back with any problems, and it kind of seemed like he wanted to get off the phone and not try anything else, but ok, I understand. Of course, it locked up 2 seconds after hanging up with him, so now I'm playing the waiting game for him or anyone to call me back (this was yesterday afternoon).  On my own I tried to reseat everything and check/replug all the connections I could see inside the case, but still to no avail.  I was really looking forward to the DS system, but it's been a very disappointing experience so far.  Hopefully tech support gets back to me before the giant snowstorm coming this weekend, but I remain not optimistic. Cry

Quote BizarRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:07pm
That absolutely sucks to hear. I am sorry. Unfortunately I can not help you as I my problem has seemingly been fixed. I removed my pc from the surge protector it was on and plugged it straight into the wall and have placed in on top of my desk instead of underneath it.

I have been running great ever since, been gaming (swtor, sleeping dogs, prison architect, etc) and doing classwork like crazy.

I say don't wait for tech to call you back, as my brother always says "the squeaky wheel gets the oil."

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 4:19pm
He did call me and ran a bunch of stress tests, which all were fine of course and no crashes during the whole thing.  He was helpful and courteous, so no complaints there.  I just wish I could figure out what's going on so I can get everything working and not have to worry about it.  Going to try a few things this weekend to see if I can isolate it. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 10:40am
Hi gumbercules...    If they stressed the cpu and gpu for heat, checked out the hard drive and ram and you still have freezing, I would try doing a System Restore to an earlier point.  It sounds like a program or update you've done is either corrupt or has a bad driver, etc.    You can also try going into task manager or typing msconfig in search and disabling certain startup programs to help isolate it.  

Maybe boot with the Windows disc in the DVD and run Repair, not install.   You might be able to get to System Restore from there also.   Sometimes a Windows update will go wrong and cause issues.

If you're using an external usb for a printer, another HDD, etc, unplug it to see if it helps.  

Good Luck. Big%20Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 12:13pm
Hi gumbercules,

Sorry to hear, it definitely sounds like something happened while you were installing the anti-virus software.

Do what bprat22 said, that should help. A system restore to an earlier point might fix it, if it does not, try the repair install with Windows. If that does not, then you will need to just do a format and fresh install of Windows.

Feel free to contact our team directly for help.

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 10:17pm
Thanks, Alex. I did a system restore, repair, and fresh install of windows. And yep, after all that, still locking up within minutes of booting. I also reseated everything in the case (again) to no avail. Tech support suggested that I remove the graphics card and run off the mobo's onboard GPU so we could see if it was the 970, but again it freezes shortly after booting. Don't know what else I can do, so calling support first thing in the morning. Sad Panda. :(
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 1:38am

You seem to have ruled out software. Bummer about your problems. Hopefully DS resolves it quickly

I would take a wild guess the PSU is at fault, but could be mobo or RAM with video card eliminated as a problem
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 2:41am
Try running with just one of the ram sticks , removing the other. If it still freezes, try just the other ram stick. A bad ram stick can cause similar issues.   

Let us know how it goes and good luck.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:27am
Hi gumbercules,

Sorry to hear, I believe it could be your memory, perhaps one of the sticks as gone bad. If you can try to see if it is one of the sticks by trying one stick at a time, it's worth a shot.

OR, we can help as well, most likely we will need to have the unit come back for service so we can see what is going on with it.

Feel free to reach out. Thanks!

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:37am
Sure, Alex.  I'm testing out the RAM now.  I took out one stick and no freezing yet, but it's only been about 20 minutes.  I did lose display for about 3 seconds, but it came back.  Oddly though, my other HDD is no longer recognized by Windows, just the SSD.  It's not showing up under Explorer. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:42am
When you took out the ram any chance you bumped up against the SATA cable from HDD to the mobo?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:56am
Great, if it is the memory, it's an easy fix and we can send you replacement memory sticks.

The HDD most likely got loose (SATA data connector going to HDD or to motherboard) OR the power connector to the hard drive.

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:01am
I don't think so, but it's possible.  I'm going to open it back up and check all the connections after the dude installing a new dishwasher is finished. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:02am
Just make sure the dishwasher isn't hooked to the Vanquish.  LOL     Kidding. Big%20Smile

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:11am
ULTIMATE LIQUID COOLING. 

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:01am
So yeah, all the SATA connections are in, but that HDD is still missing and I have no idea why. I haven't messed around too much, no freezing yet, but I have lost display again, for about 5 seconds, then it came back.  This is so frustrating.  Also while reseating the HDD, I noticed that the front USB 3.0 wasn't 100% plugged in.  I looked more closely and one of the pins is broken off inside the connector and I can't get it to plug in all the way. Could that be causing all these problems?

I'm calling support now, so hopefully I'll hear back from them shortly on what's going on. 

Edited by gumbercules - 23 Feb 2015 at 11:05am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:10am
If the USB is shorted inside that can definitely cause a lot of issues.   I believe they have a 5 vdc pin and then the ground and data lines.   5 vdc is a logic voltage and if its shorted then lots of potential problems.   I would trace the wire from the front USB panel and unplug it at the motherboard to isolate it as a problem. 

The HDD is an internal, plugged into the mobo or an external plugged into a USB? 

If its just bent and no short then no problem other than you can't use it.     If it hasn't frozen since removing the ram stick try putting them both in again and see what happens.  Or just try the other one.

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Feb 2015 at 11:11am

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:16am
Update on the HDD, looks like I just needed to assign it a drive letter, so that's solved.  Still no freezing yet, so maybe that RAM was the culprit. That USB connector does worry me though.  Waiting for Mike to call me back so I can see what he has to say about it. I'm going to keep messing around and see if I get any more errors.  If nothing happens, I'll put that RAM stick back in see if I can replicate those freezes. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:19am
Sounds like a plan. Strong    

If the USB was shorted you'd have issues so its probably just not usable.  I have one like that.  Not a bent pin, just a no-go. 

Thanks for the updates.

Quote gumbercules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 3:30pm
So I think I'm close to calling it on that stick of RAM. Ever since it's been out I've been able to run all Windows updates, plug my GPU card back in and install/update drivers, install a few other apps, and for the hell of it I installed a few games as well and I've had no freezes (knock on wood). The longest I was able to go was 45 minutes or so before taking it out; now I've had this sucker on all day.

Considering how many times my PC was hard reset in the past few days (30+), could there have been any damage to any components?  I'd like to avoid shipping the system back to DS if it's just the RAM issue, but I'd like to make sure my PC is in tip top shape above all.  
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 3:35pm
Hard re-setting the PC while it is on will not damage the components over time, they are designed to operate in that manner. Plus, you're covered by our warranty if anything were to go bad.

If things get worse overtime, we'll still take care of, especially since you had issues within the 30 day window right off the bat.

Once you're confident it's the memory, let us know and we can arrange to send you replacement memory via AWR (Advanced Warranty Replacement).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>