FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New WD Black 1TB HDD

Post Date: 2015-02-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Crimexx View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Crimexx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New WD Black 1TB HDD
    Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:50pm
I recently replaced my old Seagate Barracuda 1TB that came with my Vanquish 3 (ordered in fall of 2013) with a new Western Digital Black 1TB HDD. I wanted to know what you guys thought about the transfer rate and whether or not I should RMA the drive.

Link to album of images on imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/5hYt3

Edited by Crimexx - 21 Feb 2015 at 9:58pm
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 12:29am

Why are you thinking it should be RMAd?

Access times are good, xfer rate is good, temps are low. What are you seeing is wrong?

Are you using HDtune just to benchmark it or is it an actual transfer? Did you use windows for the Xfer?

If it is a transfer - where from? What type of files were being transferred? How big were the files? If the files weren't data only then what other file types were mixed in? Did the transfer utility make a copy then error check and transfer from that or is it a direct data transfer? Was it being error checked as it transferred or periodically or at the end?

There is a lot that goes in to this. You have to look at the whole picture not just a graph. The dips in the graph will be where files are a whole lot more than 0s and 1s.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
Crimexx View Drop Down

Quote Crimexx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Pacesetter

Why are you thinking it should be RMAd?

Access times are good, xfer rate is good, temps are low. What are you seeing is wrong?

Are you using HDtune just to benchmark it or is it an actual transfer? Did you use windows for the Xfer?

If it is a transfer - where from? What type of files were being transferred? How big were the files? If the files weren't data only then what other file types were mixed in? Did the transfer utility make a copy then error check and transfer from that or is it a direct data transfer? Was it being error checked as it transferred or periodically or at the end?

There is a lot that goes in to this. You have to look at the whole picture not just a graph. The dips in the graph will be where files are a whole lot more than 0s and 1s.

I'm just attempting to benchmark it, I'm just worried about the huge dips in the graphs on tests 1 and 3. The whole reason I'm even bench-marking the drive is because I started doing it after I got my first Seagate Barracuda with my Digital Storm Vanquish 3. Support had me RMA the drive because of results similar to graphs 1 and 3.

I just wanted to know if anyone thinks I should go ahead and RMA the drive or do you think I'll be ok?

Edited by Crimexx - 22 Feb 2015 at 1:25pm
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 12:51pm
Is there a way to tell if the dips are from the HD or from something else?

I know you said safe mode, and it's probably it's the HD, but I remember our team having to deal with things like vibration and OS issues with some drops in IO we had on a project
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Crimexx View Drop Down

Quote Crimexx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

Is there a way to tell if the dips are from the HD or from something else?

I know you said safe mode, and it's probably it's the HD, but I remember our team having to deal with things like vibration and OS issues with some drops in IO we had on a project

I'm not sure, it is strange that it went away on the later tests, I'm not sure if it's an external factor like vibrations or the OS. I ran Western Digital's SMART diagnostic tools and it all came back healthy.

Edited by Crimexx - 22 Feb 2015 at 1:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply