Online Status: Offline
  Quote tome10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Newbuild Advice
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 5:19pm
Budget:
3-4k

Expectations:
quiet and cool operations

Usage:
I need a system for casual gaming, maybe VR gaming. Also, I want to run BlueIris and control 8 Cameras, which I want to setup a Raid system to protect the data in case of HD failure. Im thinking of jumping into the Liquid cooled arena as the PC will be housed in a cabinet which has poor airflow which could be remedied with a fan for the cabinet itself, but i'm not sure of the noise level this would produce. I was playing around in the store with an Aventum 3 build, and I didn't see an option for RAID 5. Why would that be?
Do I need one of those RAID controllers? Also, on just one of the storage slots, there is the option of 4x Storage (6TB Seagate / Toshiba) [+$966]. This means your filling up 4 slots right? The exotic Liqud cooling they refer to is both the CPU, and the GPU is liquid cooled correct?

Edited by tome10 - 14 Jul 2017 at 5:20pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 5:28am
Here's a build to get started with.     You didn't mention the monitor resolution which determines the video card.   I put in the 1080 ti which is great for high end 1440p and 4k gaming.     The gtx 1080 is all you need for most 1440p but the config doesn't allow water cooling that card. If you use a 1920x1080 then a gtx 1070 will do it.

4x Storage is 4 individual drives in 4 slots.

I took a guess on your Raid drives. You can select any 3 or more identical drives.

The Raid controller isn't needed.   It does have some advantages like load off the CPU but also costs more, takes a PCI slot, etc.   The mobo controller can handle it.

I selected the Velox over the Aventum to stay on budget.

Whether the rig is water or air cooled doesn't matter for adequate airflow.   They both use fans to cool the rig, whether it's the CPU/ gpu directly or through a radiator. Make sure your enclosure can handle the cases size and keep the heat out. You don't need water cooling to keep the components cool but it does have advantages like better transfer of heat, possibly quieter, looks, etc

onfiguration Code: 1711945
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,852.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1711945

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 G3) (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 5: Performance + Drive Failure Protection (Recommended) (Requires 3 Identical HDDs) <br><strong></strong>
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers) <br><strong></strong>
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jul 2017 at 7:51am
tome10 View Drop Down

Quote tome10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 10:27am
It will be in the AV closet, so I'll be using my 4k TV for the monitor. Would this require the Titan GPU? Thinking about dabbling into oculus rift at some point. At 3800 with the starter build, I'm knocking on the door of the beautiful red Aventum. I sit so close to the AV cabinet, and the current camera server thing is extremely loud, so this is where I need this machine which will take over camera duties to be quiet. I assume the liquid cooling's radiator fans do not need to be ran at high rpm to keep things cooled off. What do you know about raid levels? I'm under the impression that raid 5, or raid 6 would be the way to go, but I didn't see that option. I'm curious as to why that is.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 10:56am
Aventum in a cabinet? I'm wondering if you realize just how HUGE this case is?

Dimension: 30"(L) x 10"(W) x 26"(H)

Visualize a box 3 feet by 2 feet by a foot. Most cabinets don't have that kind of room.   

Also, the Aventum starter is $4200+.

Not trying to dissuade you in the slightest, but that model is the flagship of the DS line and it is large and in charge.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 11:48am
Also, if you game on 4k, you might need sli, 2x gtx 1080ti.   Lots more money.    If your TV is only 30fps max then the single card would do it.   Not sure if your TV is max 30fps.

The Titan XP is about 10% faster , at most, but not worth the big jump in price.   
tome10 View Drop Down

Quote tome10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 12:45pm
It would fit perfectly in the cabinet. I'm not well versed in Frames Per Second apparently, I think I have a 120hz refresh rate. What does that mean in regards to Frames per second? I thought the Titan GPU is for 4k resolution, and the 1080ti was for 1080p. What does two 1080ti's bring to the table?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:50pm
The gtx 1080 ti is a 4k card.   The gtx 1070 is a 1080p card for the most part. Some fall in love with the Titan because it's called the Titan. Naming the card was genius on their part.   

Sli is both cards working together to allow higher ingame settings.   If the game supports sli you might see a 40-50% boost in frame rate.   The difference is playing the game on medium settings or high to maxed out.

I've never researched TVs.    

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 3:35pm
Make sure you build a cardboard facsimile of the Aventm 3 and fit in your cabinet. It is larger in real life than the numbers suggest and you also need space around it for air flow. Just saying.Smile
tome10 View Drop Down

Quote tome10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 5:41pm
Dimension: 30"(L) x 10"(W) x 26"(H)
Cabinet Dimensions 37"(W)* x 25"(D) x 37"(H)
*Theres 2.5" Standoff for the door hinges on both sides, that's an extra 5" for airflow. I can install a fan for the cabinet itself controlled by home automation to control cabinet temps. Or, I could build something to open the cabinet doors at Home Automations request. Can we focus on internals? I looked at the basic Aventum, and it supports HDMI 2.0b which supposedly supports 4k 120hz. The next HDMI 2.1 supports futuristic 8 and 10k resolutions, but will not show up on things until 2018. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say just one 1080ti should be good enough. Now the basic Aventum comes with the 1080 (non-ti) what does that mean?
tome10 View Drop Down

Quote tome10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 6:28pm
what's storage set 2, and 3? How many disc slots are available? If I pic 4x 6TB drives for Storage slot 2, how many open slots are available for storage slot 3 as the same 4x 6TB shows up again.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 2:44am
Storage sets 2 and 3 are the 2nd and 3 rd drives you could pick after selecting your primary drive, like a SSD for drive 1 and an HDD for storage set 2.

If you select 4x 6tb then DS installs 4 drives.   The Aventum has 8 drive bays.

tome10 View Drop Down

Quote tome10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:06am
Ok, so one bay is taken by the Optical Drive, and another is taken by the Operating system boot SSD drive. So I have 6 bays left correct? I'll use 4 for the raid setup.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:42am
I believe that the internal optical drive does not take up a disk drive. From the image shown, the cd/dvd slot is on the front and the drives enclosures are accessed removing the side panel. So, you should have all 8 slots available for your drives if you don't opt out (it comes std on the AV) of the NVM Express which attaches to the mobo.  It is quite small.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 16 Jul 2017 at 10:45am
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by tome10

It will be in the AV closet, so I'll be using my 4k TV for the monitor. Would this require the Titan GPU? Thinking about dabbling into oculus rift at some point. At 3800 with the starter build, I'm knocking on the door of the beautiful red Aventum. I sit so close to the AV cabinet, and the current camera server thing is extremely loud, so this is where I need this machine which will take over camera duties to be quiet. I assume the liquid cooling's radiator fans do not need to be ran at high rpm to keep things cooled off. What do you know about raid levels? I'm under the impression that raid 5, or raid 6 would be the way to go, but I didn't see that option. I'm curious as to why that is.

I would read up as much as possible on RAIDs, especially if you're not familiar with them.

RAID 5 array can have 1 drive fail and still function without a loss of data. Disk failure degrades array from 5--->0(first disk failure)--->screwed(2nd disk failure).

RAID 6 array can have 2 drives fail and still function without a loss of data, but there is a penalty for write operations due to parity calculations. This means you're sacrificing write-performance for redundancy of the array. Disk failures degrade array from 6--->5(1st disk failure)--->0(2nd disk failure)--->screwed(3rd disk failure).

Do you need a RAID card to set up a RAID? No, but you will need to determine for yourself which solution is better for your intended use: software or a hardware RAID controller. Each have their pros and cons.
With the cpu's available today, software RAID isn't as big of an issue for the cpu to handle in regards to simpler RAID arrays, however like I said before, hardware & software RAID each have pros and cons and comes down to the individual user's needs and preferences.

Looking at the big picture, you want to use a single system for both gaming and for hosting a multiple-camera security system that uses a RAID array. I don't know how crucial your data is(only you could answer that), but the caveat with this is if you're doing something else on your system that causes it to crash, it could be a problem and you may find yourself rebuilding a RAID more frequently than you like.

On top of all of this, you should have a battery backup UPS for a system running RAID arrays in conjunction with backing up the data stored on your RAID array.

This is just my opinion, but my concern with putting an enclosed case within another enclosed case would be the impedance to airflow and the resulting buildup of heat, given you'll have 4 mechanical HDs running constantly. You not only need to worry about bringing in cooler outside air into the external case, but also pulling out the warmer air that will be building up inside of it. Whatever the "case", I would keep an eye on the temps because I don't think these desktop towers were intended to be placed inside such a small enclosure.

Post Reply Post Reply