Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BreezyOne View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BreezyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Not Sure What I Need
    Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:11pm
It's pretty obvious to me from reading many of these post that trying to order from DS is way outside of my level of understanding or knowledge. I do understand a very good Warranty when I read it, and that along with the good reviews has me here trying to go in a different direction.

I currently have a D*** Otiplex 360 that I got in 2009. I've never opened it even once. It is of course slow, and I'm sure the graphics are bad, but I've never seen any games on new graphics or even on a dedicated graphics card for that matter. The games I currently play are Wartunes and Goodgame Empire. I'd like to be able to play Guild Wars and maybe Tera or ArcheAge. I've watched videos of The Witcher 3 being played and it looks interesting. I know that I like these big open world types of games.

Budget: I almost bought a C*********** with a 23in ASUS monitor from Walmart for $1,435. It had 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD, 16gb RAM, nvidia 960gpu, not sure about the psu. The monitor was 23in 1920X1080 full HD.

Competitor's names removed.

Edited by Snaike - 12 Aug 2016 at 10:31am
AKDj2942Aj View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote AKDj2942Aj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:13pm
Vanquish 5 at 'Better' config will be around the price of the C********** and far better, with you being able to pick your own monitor. It can play Witcher 3 on Ultra in 1080p at 60 FPS which is about as demanding as it gets right now for most people. Great budget system.

Competitor's name removed.

Edited by Snaike - 12 Aug 2016 at 10:32am
BreezyOne View Drop Down

Quote BreezyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:47pm
Thanks for the reply.  I'm sure I have questions, but I don't know what they are right now.  lol

Oh, to clarify, the monitor on the system at Walmart was separate, and was the one I would have chosen.

Edited by BreezyOne - 11 Aug 2016 at 2:02pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 3:22pm
First thing about pc parts to understand is that they are not all the same, two power supplies for example at 750w could be totally different in performance and reliability, the same with ssd, not all ssds are the same, for example if you offered me an ocz ssd 2tb for free I would not take it, no thanks.

So obviously the good ssd cost better then it cheaper less reliable counterpart, and that pretty much goes for a lot of parts, so just because c********* has a system for $1400 with this and that, its does not mean diddly to me, what matters to me is exactly what parts are being used? If its good parts ok but 99% of the time a cheap pc has cheap/cheaper parts and 80% of the time cheaper parts have a higher failure rate.

so now having said that, for witcher at 1080p(1920X1080 full HD):

(little quick explanation for you, here you are looking for 60 frame per second(fps) or which then indicates that your gaming will be smooth, below that it won't be the best experience that it could be)

so as you can see above the sweet spot is the 1070 gtx with 83fps, why more then you need, but it will cover you basis with other games also, another route is to over clock(oc) the 1060 gtx so that you get close to 60 fps from it.

And you can see the 960 gtx will get you 33 fps which is not good at all IMHO.

now that we know we want a 1070 gtx lets build a system around that:

Apollo

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

I promise you that this config will beat the c************ left and right in every way with its eyes closed.

We could build you a cheaper one in the vanquish line but that line does not allow much to be configured and I like to know what I'm getting and picking so it not my first choice, I always like to put myself in the other person's shoes, and in this case if I had your needs I this is the system I would get for me/my family.

Competitor name removed.

Edited by Snaike - 12 Aug 2016 at 10:34am
BreezyOne View Drop Down

Quote BreezyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 5:15pm
Thanks for the info.  It is a bit confusing because I don't know anything about game settings and what they do just yet.  I'm familiar with DX11, but the rest of the things in that list I don't know anything about.  I have never played a game were I had to adjust any settings, so Ultra Mode, AA enabled, 16x AF enabled, ect don't really mean anything to me at this point.  This will be my 1st gaming computer, and I'm not certain if the one you list is too much or just enough.  It certainly gives me alot of things I have to look up and figure out. ConfusedWhoa
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 8:49pm
I gave you what you need, my builds are geared around giving you the max performance for your money without wasting any of your money.

those setting make the game look a lot better

Have a look here for witcher 3 settings, here you can compare the difference between certain settings off and on.

aa = Anti-Aliasing Mode click here to learn more

af = Anisotropic Filtering click here to learn more

SSAO = Screen Space Ambient Occlusion click here to learn more

You should have all the settings covered between those 4 links.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Aug 2016 at 8:50pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 9:57pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7WX6pjL-M

watch the above youtube vid for an example of maximized 1080p game play on a GTX 1060 vid card.  this card is basically equivalent to the previous Maxwell generation GTX 980.  a GTX 970 was enough to maximize most games at 1080p and for certain a GTX 980 was capable of doing so.  imo, you need look no further than a Vanquish 5, Level 2.  you can also elect to go with an I5-6600k cpu over the I7-6700 for cheaper.  this cpu has the benefit of being over-clockable for more performance than the 6700 (which can't be oc'd).  with the I5 it is only $1,190 before taxes and shipping costs.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:14pm
Just to be clear db188 is not talking about the 6700k in my config, he is talking about the 6700 cpu and not 6700k
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Just to be clear db188 is not talking about the 6700k in my config, he is talking about the 6700 cpu and not 6700k
yeah, the one that comes with the Vanquish. 

the "k" sku just means it has an unlocked multiplier, so you can over clock it (by adjusting the multiplier in the bios).  in this way, an I5-6600K can be overclocked to run faster than an I7-6700. why run faster?  so you don't have a fast graphics card waiting around on a slow cpu ("bottleneck"). 

with any over clocking you want to make sure you have adequate cooling to prevent thermal throttling (the processor slowing down to prevent damage).  and that brings us to the only problem with the Vanquish line.  since it's a budget line, it's pre-configured (for the most part) with very few customization options.  unfortunately, DS doesn't allow a cpu cooler upgrade with this line.  you should still be able to get a mild oc with the cooler they have configured, but it's not the best air cooler they have available. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:55pm
This poor guy is gonna get so confused.

@BreezyOne if you are ok with the cost of my build stick with that, I would not go to vanquish since most of the parts are not customizable. The vanquish is for somebody with very little budget that wants the bottom line pc.

But if you have questions about the cpu discussion of 6600 vs 6600k vs 6700 vs 6700k please do ask, just to simplify, the differences are that the "k" means they can be overclocked (oc) and ocing is one the changes that brings forth the most performance gain. The other difference is "hyperthread"(ht), feel free to read about it and then make a decision, I always pick (ht) and oc whenever possible I find that even tho the pc is for gaming, its a pc first and cpu with ht tent to stay a bit more powerful down the road vs the non ht counter parts, so if budget allows I always go with ht and oc. Now here is where it gets confusing, if I'm forced to do so, aka I have to pick one or the other then I would pick oc over ht since oc performance gain is beyond the performance gain of ht. Again keep in mind that is if I'm forced to pick, aka budget is so low I'm forced to pick even tho I much rather not.

Anyways my point is that now you have all the game setting to look at plus the info db mentioned. So if you feel like you are getting confused or overloaded with info just ask.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Aug 2016 at 11:09pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:58pm
i just don't like the "baked in" additional costs jumping from their Vanquish line to the others (especially the Apollo) for what is essentially a different case (one which, imo, doesn't justify the increased cost).  it's like $300 for basically the same config/components. 

the customization of the other lines is only worth it if you are upgrading components for more specific reasons: i.e. you want more cooling options, more configurable storage options, moving up into the higher end for gaming or productivity reasons, etc. 

i would say a "bottom line pc" from DS is the Vanquish Level 1.  a pc with a "mid range" GTX 1060 in it is hardly "bottom line" these days.  it's replacing a $500 launch price card of the previous generation for half the price (once the price gouging quiets down). 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:13am
If I don't even know what brand/model mobo/ssd/ram/psu/cpu cooler I'm getting then I'm not getting that pc, and I would call that pc bottom line for sure.

yes we can argue ram there is no big difference, mobo could be ok depending, the same with psu but then there are things line the cpu cooler which for the oc is pretty big deal and that in turn will make a good difference in performance.

So no there is no way I would call my config and a vanquish pretty much the same setup just because the vanquish has a 1060 in it.

Let just separate and clarify.

1. Yes I agree that the price jump is a bit unwarranted for that extent but I rather pay the extra then go with the headache of no name parts if I had to pick one or the other. To each his own but my experience has shown me that even with ram if you cheap out and not go with the right brand model you can run into headaches and I can't think of anything that has little difference between them than ram, so if you can see it there then the rest is easy to figure out. Also some companies bin their memory and some don't. We could argue that DS uses ok ram but at the end as I said for me it has to be something I know and can checkout before purchase/use.

2. Just because there is a price premium here in DS, it does not change the fact that certain parts are just a better choice than others due to reliability or warranty or quality or performance.

Again I agree the price difference in the two builds are higher then expected, no argument there, but I config/build pcs as if I was doing it for myself and my loved ones and I would not do a vanquish type of a build for myself or my loved ones, you want me to use a part, you need to tell me exact brand/model so I can check it out and see what kind of a failure rate / performance I'm dealing with.

Needless to say I think we both agree my config without the so much extra premium is the best choice. What we both agree on is the the premium is a bit high but where we disagree is that if I had to pick I would pay the extra and go with names I know and you are saying you would not, you would go with the vanquish. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

to each his own.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 12:20am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:40am
that's just it bud, i configured the same "no name" parts in the Apollo as i did with the Vanquish and the premium of $300 for a case difference of $100 on the open market.  personally, i think the Corsair 760t is over-priced anyways ($190...pls!) for what you get with it.  the only price premiums i'd be willing to absorb from DS is on their all-metal, custom cases (Velox and Aventum 3) that you can't buy anywhere else. 

yeah, your config has a more expensive mobo, more ram, higher tier graphics card, better air cooler; but i gave him advice for a build that was more in line with the budget he was willing to spend with a competitor, and which blows that competitor's build out of the water for cheaper! 

i didn't check to see whether he could upgrade the ram in the configurator, lloks like he can bump it to 16GB for $68 more, so that makes the pc $1,258 before taxes/shipping.  still a sweet deal!

Edited by db188 - 12 Aug 2016 at 12:48am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 1:03am
I agree with the price premium no argument there but as I said at the end I want to know exactly what ram I'm getting, which ssd is it etc, so that I can check the failure rate so I know what I'm getting into, the vanquish line for is more like closing your eyes and jumping and hoping that all with go well and end well. And with a 1 year part warranty from DS there is not much to fall back on either.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 1:04am

Quote AKDj2942Aj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:11am
I would agree with db188. He's not the kind of power user I don't believe that would care exactly what parts he is getting. The vanquish 5 is a killer machine with little cost for layman.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:37am
My build has nothing to do with a power user. What does failure rate and warranty have to do with being a power user? the only difference between what db and I are recommending is failure rate and warranty.

My config is based on track record of the parts I chose and their reliability based on that track record. I can't do the same thing with parts that I have no clue what they are. for example the 1tb wd black edition, me, db, bp, everyone tells others to get that drive because of its proven track record, for me the same goes for other parts.

I'm not saying vanquish is a bad system or anything like that, I'm just saying whenever budget allows, its smart to chose parts based on their track record instead of jumping blind and hoping things will be fine, specially when you have a 1 year part warranty, if all the parts had a 3 to 5 year part warranty from DS so the user can just send pc or just the part back and deal with DS instead of a 21 day rma from manufacturer, then we would not be having this discussion and I would be ok with the parts in vanquish since if something went wrong its way faster to get a replacement from DS then it is to rma thru manufacturer.

to each his own

If BreezyOne does not care what parts he is getting then we will config him a vanquish no problem. and the end we are here to help him get what he is comfortable with   

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 4:25am

Quote AKDj2942Aj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:56am
I agree, which is why I didn't get a Vanquish. But it sounds like his budget isn't as flexible.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:30pm
Like I said if its not we will go vanquish but lets let him know the info as we have and then let him decide.
BreezyOne View Drop Down

Quote BreezyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:46pm
Yes I am confused.  When I look at the Vanquish and the Apollo it seems like DS has the parts for both listed, and offer the ability to change them for better parts.  I must admit that I don't really understand what all I'm looking at.  Is there a difference in failure rate between the 1tb wd black edition offered for the Vanquish and the 1tb wd black edition offered for the Apollo?  The warranty seems to be the same on both also.  What am I missing?

The terminology is killing me.  It took me a while to even figure out what 1tb wd black edition was.  LOL

Edited by BreezyOne - 12 Aug 2016 at 3:01pm
BreezyOne View Drop Down

Quote BreezyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:54pm
Thanks for the info and the links.  For me gaming (at least the few I've played) is for fun.  I didnt realize it was so serious and technical.  I'm sure going to enjoy learning this stuff.  Big%20Smile

Originally posted by DST4ME

I gave you what you need, my builds are geared around giving you the max performance for your money without wasting any of your money.

those setting make the game look a lot better

Have a look here for witcher 3 settings, here you can compare the difference between certain settings off and on.

aa = Anti-Aliasing Mode click here to learn more

af = Anisotropic Filtering click here to learn more

SSAO = Screen Space Ambient Occlusion click here to learn more

You should have all the settings covered between those 4 links.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by BreezyOne

Yes I am confused.  When I look at the Vanquish and the Apollo it seems like DS has the parts for both listed, and offer the ability to change them for better parts.  I must admit that I don't really understand what all I'm looking at.  Is there a difference in failure rate between the 1tb wd black edition offered for the Vanquish and the 1tb wd black edition offered for the Apollo?  The warranty seems to be the same on both also.  What am I missing?The terminology is killing me.  It took me a while to even figure out what 1tb wd black edition was.  LOL

Lets take it step by step, once you have figured out the game settings then lets move on to other things.

No there is no difference between the 1tb wd black edition in either build the difference I'm referring to is the 1tb seagate in db's config for you vs my config with the wd black edition, the rest of the stuff you can't change, try to pick the parts I picked in vanquish you will quickly realize many things have no other option and can't be changed. basically motherboard (mobo), power supply (psu), cpu cooler can't be changed. The psu I'm not too worried about but still like to know what I'm getting still not that big of deal, the same goes for mobo, the cpu cooler tho is a big deal and will make a big difference in cpu performance.

If I change the stuff I can change to what is in the apollo config the price comes to $1925 vs $2147 for difference of $222, for that difference I have a better cpu cooler giving faster speeds, I know exactly what parts I'm getting.

So you need to decide if that $222 is worth it for you or not. We can drop the cpu lower and save a little more but outside of gaming your speed is going to be slower.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 3:51pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:58pm
i just wrote a novel and then deleted it because it's just more of the same.  the bottom line is this:  this customer really seems to me the kind of buyer who can greatly benefit from the aggressively priced, relatively high performance>price ratio that the Vanquish line offers.  more specifically, the Vanquish, level 2 with some modifications in the configurator (8 GB more ram, brand name ssd&hdd changes, an I5-6600k, an EVGA GTX 1060) .  here is my final build recommendation:

System Configuration:Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm VANQUISH 5
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W EVGA/Corsair
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA ACX 2.0) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

$1,321.00
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:09pm
I can config the same thing for around $1600 but with a better cooler and thus much better/faster cpu speed, we could argue that for gaming alone that won't matter much but for everything else it will be. Then there is the possible longer better warranty.

Now is that worth $280 more? sounds like to me yes and to you no.

quich question, what kind of warranty does the user get with that ram? or mobo? other then the 1 year part warranty from DS?

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 5:10pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:41pm
all Asus and Gigabyte mobos are 3 years limited warranty from what i'm aware of.  as for the ram, your build had generic DS ram in it as well, so not really getting the distinction.  but from the last i heard DS was using ADATA ram (unknown which models) for their generic builds.   they say they're using Corsair/EVGA psu for their generic 600W unit in the Vanquish, not sure which models, but they should carry 5 and 6 year warranties if i'm not mistaken. 

as for the cooler, i'm not a big fan of the Zalman unit, but it is sufficient/capable of handling the cooling duties.  or he could just buy a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ at roughly the same price ($29), with performance only slightly lower than the Noctua and install it himself.  however, i'm not going to recommend someone spend hundreds more just to get the Noctua.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:45pm
and don't get me started on the $190 Corsair 760t case vs. the Corsair 230t case@ $80.  every credible reviewer i've read says it's way overpriced.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:33pm
Problem here are two folds.

1. the noctua gives us better oc thus the cpu is faster if you want to disagree please show me the benches, otherwise its here say.

2. you keep acting as if we are configuring the pc for you, we are not, the user is not gonna put any cpu cooler on this pc, I'm not sure how much more clear he can make the fact that he is very new and not interested it messing with the parts.

As I mentioned I will pay $280 for better parts/warranty or performance. in this case it would be performance. IF I have the money why wouldn't I want a faster cpu and oc?

Now again don't get me wrong I agree the price difference is a bit high, but again I rather get the extra perfomrance but more importantly we have gone back and forth on this about what you like and what I like, what I'm waiting on and we should be waiting on is what BreezyOne likes and is willing to do.

Otherwise why don't we just tell him to order it without the cooler nad etc and then he can buy and install all of those himself if we really want to save him money.

So again I agree on the price being high on the apollo vs vanquish, no argument there, so I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 7:40pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:17pm
i stand by my recommendation.  it's up to the OP to decide where he wants to put his money.  gl hfBig%20Smile

lol at the building the pc for me comment.  you do realize i had DS build an $8k+ Aventum 3 for me don't you?  what i did was show the OP who came here with a $1,400+ competitor's build he considered purchasing and showed him how DS could build him a vastly better pc $300 cheaper.  you didn't bro, so sorry to get confrontational, but facts are facts. 

Edited by db188 - 12 Aug 2016 at 8:23pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:14pm
When you asking a person who has no idea what aa is to install his own cooler, then you are building a pc for somebody who knows how to do that then you are advising as if its you the pc is for and not somebody who has no idea what is what.

you did show him a pc for $1400, which is around the same price as the competitor he listed, whether it was vastly better we don't know since we don't all the parts like the cpu of the other build. So it can't be a fact till we know all the facts.

you have your recommendation and I have mine, to each his own as I said before lets see what he likes.

db188 I want you to know I respect your a lot and I completely understand your argument and agree with the part where apollo has overhead that is higher than it should be, all I'm saying is that I'm not a hypocrite (not saying you are either), thus I can't advise a build to somebody that I would not get myself if I was in the other person's shoes. IN this case all I'm saying is that if the person has the budget I would go my config apollo, but if budget is an issue then I would go vanquish, but only if budget forced me. It seems this is were we disagree, and that is fine, perhaps you are ok with going vanquish if budget was not an issue and you could go apollo, all I'm saying is that I'm not and I would feel like a hypocrite telling somebody to do something I would never do myself unless budget was an issue, then its perfectly fine cause that is what I would do to if I had no knowledge of pcs.

I think at the end here if we don't agree, then we need to agree to disagree and let th op decide.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 10:26pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:45pm
actually i showed him an initial Vanquish build for under $1,200 that i felt was vastly superior to that Cyberpower pc even if it had an i7-6700k in it because that video card was about 3 tiers lower than the GTX 1060 and the gpu is going to make a bigger difference in his gaming than the cpu.  but i do happen to agree with you about some of the recommendations that you made regarding relatively low cost adjustments to the base build, like: upgrading the hdd to a Western Digital model for better reliability, the additional 8GB of ram that a lot of modern/demanding games recommend as optimal, etc.   these things were configurable on the Vanquish for a modest cost, so yes the final build recommendation is under $1,400 before taxes&shipping.  still better than that competitor's build and cheaper.    

i'd actually like for there to be a better selection of air coolers for this line.  for approx. the same cost a CM Hyper 212+ is a much better cooler to have than the Zalman DS uses.  i suspect DS chose the Zalman for its smaller profile. 

anyway, like you said, he's got the opinions and the info.  he can do his own research and verify what each of us has said.   @Breezy, if you have any questions of me pls feel free to ask.        
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:54pm
I agree with the fact that there should be a cooler like cm or something a little better performance. I also wish they would say what mobo is being used but I take a better cooler over that if I had to pick.

@Breezy, my advise is if you have the budget go with my build, if you are tight on the budget and are only interested in a pc that is great in gaming and not so much cpu speed and oc then go with db's build, that is my opinion, you make up your mind.

As db said if you have questions for either of us let us know.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 10:04pm

Quote AKDj2942Aj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 11:55am
Lame that they censor competitors names here...they should be confident in their product and not worried about comparisons.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by ShadowXOR

Lame that they censor competitors names here...they should be confident in their product and not worried about comparisons.

I think its a courtesy they all decided to extend to each other.
BreezyOne View Drop Down

Quote BreezyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:55pm
I'm still going over the options that you guys have given, and trying to come up with the best one for me.  I am restricted by budget, but not so much that I cant go a little higher than the $1400 I listed for the cp unit.  That system included the keyboard and mouse for $1143, and I added monitor and hdmi cables.  One issue is that with this new DS system those things aren't included in the price.  I'll probably need to get a monitor, and possibly a keyboard and mouse as well.  My current monitor is a 19' 1280X1024 60hz purchased in 2009 which I would be fine keeping, but am not sure it would work with the new system.

Questions:
1. Will my current monitor work with the new system?
2. Is a gpu upgrade as easy to do as a ram upgrade?
3. Are the systems that both DST4ME and db188 suggested good for gaming, and the typical home user stuff like surfing the internet, email, word & excel documents, storing photos, watching youtube videos, etc?
4. Why is the air cooler recommended over the liquid cooler in both the Vanquish and Apollo systems?

I'm looking at maybe going with either a Vanquish lvl 2 or 3, or Apollo lvl 1.

Do I need to place my config in the cart in order to be able to post it here?

Edited by BreezyOne - 16 Aug 2016 at 1:57pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:13pm

I'm still going over the options that you guys have given, and trying to come up with the best one for me.  I am restricted by budget, but not so much that I cant go a little higher than the $1400 I listed for the cp unit.  That system included the keyboard and mouse for $1143, and I added monitor and hdmi cables.  One issue is that with this new DS system those things aren't included in the price.  I'll probably need to get a monitor, and possibly a keyboard and mouse as well.  My current monitor is a 19' 1280X1024 60hz purchased in 2009 which I would be fine keeping, but am not sure it would work with the new system.

Questions:
1. Will my current monitor work with the new system?it'll work, but i'd advise a new 1080p monitor in the 120-144Hz range to take advantage of all that new hardware you spent money onBig%20Smile
2. Is a gpu upgrade as easy to do as a ram upgrade?it's very easy-just plug the required number of power cables into the psu, insert the gpu into the pcie slot, plug in the power cables to the gpu, tighten the screws in the expansion slot bracket and dl/install the latest gpu drivers.  
3. Are the systems that both DST4ME and db188 suggested good for gaming, and the typical home user stuff like surfing the internet, email, word & excel documents, storing photos, watching youtube videos, etc?i might be biased but i think my advice is propheticWink
4. Why is the air cooler recommended over the liquid cooler in both the Vanquish and Apollo systems?you can always get a Vanquish level 4, which comes with a 120mm AIO LC and then config it like a level 2 or 3 for a moderate increase in price if you prefer a LC option over air for the cpu. 

as to why it's recommended, i can only speculate, but the Zalman air cooler is definitely weaker compared to the LC option i spoke about already. 

I'm looking at maybe going with either a Vanquish lvl 2 or 3, or Apollo lvl 1.

Do I need to place my config in the cart in order to be able to post it here?or have it emailed to yourself and then post it. 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:59pm

I'm still going over the options that you guys have given, and trying to come up with the best one for me.  I am restricted by budget, but not so much that I cant go a little higher than the $1400 I listed for the cp unit.  That system included the keyboard and mouse for $1143, and I added monitor and hdmi cables.  One issue is that with this new DS system those things aren't included in the price.  I'll probably need to get a monitor, and possibly a keyboard and mouse as well.  My current monitor is a 19' 1280X1024 60hz purchased in 2009 which I would be fine keeping, but am not sure it would work with the new system.Questions:1. Will my current monitor work with the new system?2. Is a gpu upgrade as easy to do as a ram upgrade?3. Are the systems that both DST4ME and db188 suggested good for gaming, and the typical home user stuff like surfing the internet, email, word & excel documents, storing photos, watching youtube videos, etc?4. Why is the air cooler recommended over the liquid cooler in both the Vanquish and Apollo systems?I'm looking at maybe going with either a Vanquish lvl 2 or 3, or Apollo lvl 1.Do I need to place my config in the cart in order to be able to post it here?

to add to what db said:

1. yes.

2. yes, If you like to know how easy it is to add a gpu yourself look here

3. yes tho the 6700k should stay feeling powerful a little longer then the 6600k tho they are pretty close or even on most tasks, in short both will do great for the use you mentioned, its hard to tell them apart for just gamin/surfing and basic use.

4. The only air cooler you see us recommend will be the noctua, but that is not available on vanquish, on vanquish then we are forced to go with the base air cooler or the aio, and between those two the aio gives better temps. but if you are on apollo you want to go noctua which beats everything till you get to hydrolux lite.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>