Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 specifications leaked

Post Date: 2016-07-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 specifications leaked
    Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 3:23am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 3:33am
The power of the gtx 980 for a rumored $200-250, depending on vram, continues to upend the gaming world.   Who'd a thunk.

Bye, bye RX 480.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 3:36am
I knew it would kick the 480's butt its the same thing every year

checkout the news section for my post on the mini 1070.

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Jul 2016 at 3:37am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 3:38am
Just did. Nice.
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 6:18pm
I don't believe this card kills anything to be honest. This card comes in 3gb and 6gb variants. The lowest MSRP is $249 with founders being $300. I can't say for sure but I'm guessing the low end of that price point will be the 3gb variant. If this card is anything like the current line up from Nvidia then 6gb AIB's will be closer in price or even exceed that of founders edition cards.

Not only that but this card does not support SLI. From what they say, it does perform better, but for a more expensive card, it very well should. I'm sure it will sell well anyhow, but these two cards are not at the same price point.

The custom variants of these cards are supposed to be available on launch day, so that's definitely exciting. No need to be bothered with going reference for a premium, when you can have superior cooling for probably about the same.

Edited by Invader Mig - 08 Jul 2016 at 6:36pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 2:59am
I don't think non sli will be an issue for most.   This market segment probably wouldn't anyways and if one does need that performance, just get a gtx 1080.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 7:28am
Originally posted by bprat22

I don't think non sli will be an issue for most.   This market segment probably wouldn't anyways and if one does need that performance, just get a gtx 1080.

Oh come on man. You could SLI 960's and 960 ti, but not these? SLI offers 1080 performance at a lower price point. Of course course Multi gpu configs bring issues with them, but to not offer it at all is BS imo. This is coming from an Nvidia customer in case there was any question.

I just think it sucks for those who go mid range, then down the line decide to just add another card when they come down in price to add extra performance.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 7:57am
Ok well first lets get Nvidia officially saying that they don't support sli when it comes out, I'm hearing lot of rumors going around so lets just wait on that.

Secondly, if one gpu is not enough for your needs, then there is room to go up to the next level gpu to get more power.

If nvidia wants to stop people from using its own gpus against it (aka 1060 sli vs 1080) then it has the right to do so, and it sounds like its doing just that.

Now in our defense it is nice to be able to sli 1060 for more power but cheaper than 1080.

And in nvidia's defense every time we do that kind of stuff, its them that ends up paying for it.

Having said all that, single gpu IMHO is always better then multi gpu for multiple reasons, sli scaling, 2 gpus = more possibility of something going wrong, etc.

To each his own, and by that I'm referring to those of us that rather sli 1060, those of us that rather go single gpu 1080 and Nvidia who wants us to pay for their performance.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Jul 2016 at 7:58am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Invader Mig

Originally posted by bprat22

Oh come on man. You could SLI 960's and 960 ti, but not these? SLI offers 1080 performance at a lower price point. Of course course Multi gpu configs bring issues with them, but to not offer it at all is BS imo. This is coming from an Nvidia customer in case there was any question.

I just think it sucks for those who go mid range, then down the line decide to just add another card when they come down in price to add extra performance.

Yeah, this is their thinking, not mine.  Big%20Smile     No reason t it can't be sli's except for marketing toward the more expensive options.  I still don't think, personally, that those looking at the 1060 will care about sli. 

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Jul 2016 at 8:19am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 2:22pm
Well it's obvious why they are not supporting it, and while it is within their right to do so, it doesn't make it any less crappy.

Then again, AMD not making the market competitive is why Nvidia gets away with crap like this. They will continue to do so until they are forced not to gouge. Sadly the lack of competition on the high end leaves all of us wanting power to pay ridiculous premiums for marginal gains, with architecture based around the concept of planned obsolescence.

We desperately need real competition in the gpu market.

Edited by Invader Mig - 09 Jul 2016 at 2:23pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 2:29pm
Well hang on there a minute, all things being fair, then we should have never been able to sli lower cards for better performance to begin with.

We have been getting a free ride if you will and now its over, while it sucks, it is still fair. All they are asking for is for us to pay for the perfomrance we want.

And yes AMD dragging their feet is responsible for this in some ways.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Well hang on there a minute, all things being fair, then we should have never been able to sli lower cards for better performance to begin with.

We have been getting a free ride if you will and now its over, while it sucks, it is still fair. All they are asking for is for us to pay for the perfomrance we want.

And yes AMD dragging their feet is responsible for this in some ways.

You have to be kidding me. A free ride? I'm sorry man, I respect your opinion usually, but this comment is ridiculous in my opinion. I can't believe you are defending these business practices by calling them fair. They, as a business are legally beholden to their stock holders to maximize profit, but there is nothing "fair" about it.

They, as a virtual monopoly are price gouging to ludicrous levels. They just released a new sli bridge that offers better performance, but kill SLI on the mid range, and reduce sli to a max of dual on the current high end. The next gen will come with 3x sli so if you want that then pay more.

If the prices for what they were giving us were actually "fair" then I'd agree, but they are far from it. I don't root for billion dollar corporations the same way I would a sports team, because the consumers best interest is far from their first concern. This goes for AMD, Intel, Nvidia or any company. They are in an advantageous position and since they are not currently being challenged, can do whatever they please. The notion of attaching the word "fair" to what they are doing is absolutely mind blowing to me. "Obvious", "Sensible", "Smart". These words I can agree with, but certainly not fair.

I pay the premium because I'm a framerate whore. 60fps is the minimum framerate I consider tolerable, but it's far from ideal. Triple digit framerates is where I like to game. Also Gsync > Freesync so the choice is pretty much made for me. That doesn't mean I enjoy having my wallet raped or would even entertain the notion that what is happening is fair.

Maybe you could clarify further so I can understand your point better, because I can't wrap my head around what I just read.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 4:40pm
Whether the price we are paying is a fair price is a different argument than whether a company has the right to make you pay for the next level product if that is what you need.

We used the same exact argument back in the Cassette and cd days for how much music album cost, that you are using now.

Are they price gouging, yes to a point, is that fair, no.

Is it fair for them to ask you to pay more for higher performance? yes, is the price they are charging for that higher performance fair? probably not. but one has nothing to do with the other when we are talking about what is fair and not, I mean it does and it doesn't, if you catch what I'm saying.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Jul 2016 at 4:41pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 5:05pm

Whether the price we are paying is a fair price is a different argument than whether a company has the right to make you pay for the next level product if that is what you need.

We used the same exact argument back in the Cassette and cd days for how much music album cost, that you are using now.

Are they price gouging, yes to a point, is that fair, no.

Is it fair for them to ask you to pay more for higher performance? yes, is the price they are charging for that higher performance fair? probably not. but one has nothing to do with the other when we are talking about what is fair and not, I mean it does and it doesn't, if you catch what I'm saying.

You said we should have never been able to SLI lower cards for better performance to begin with, and that our "Free Ride" is over. That is always how it's been since the inception of lower end mutli gpu configs. The tradeoffs being dealing with SLI/xfire and your lack of upgrade paths in the future. That's the point. So I can't agree or even understand how those words even make the slightest bit of sense.

I was responding directly to your quote. You are right, what's fair and what is legal isn't the same. That is the exact argument I made, not you. That is why I offered up a set of words that I'd agree with. Obvious, sensible and smart being the three.

They are gimping options they have always offered, forcing people to purchase cards with highly inflated prices and extremely low availability. They can do this because they have no competition in the high end segment. This is as clear cut of an example you'll find of price gouging. It's a predatory practice, and while it's legal, the use of terms like "fair" and "free ride" just blow my mind.

This seems to be more an issue of wording than anything else; and if that is in fact the case then perhaps you can understand why I would see such language as extremely confusing.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 5:33pm
I feel as tho you are not understanding what I'm saying.

the price they are charging has nothing to do with my argument.

I'm simply saying a company has the right to tell you that if you want a 4 door car instead of the 2 door than you have to pay more for it.

and if they allowed you before to connect 2 cheaper cars together to get a 4 door and now they no longer want to allow you to do that, then that is fair also, due to the fact that you should have never been able to connect 2 card together, it was them that allowed and they can take it back.

The price they charge for their product has nothing to do with the above.

I agree they charge too much for their product and that is not fair.

I agree they are cornering the market and taking advantage of not having a real competition and that is not fair.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Jul 2016 at 5:34pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 6:37pm

I feel as tho you are not understanding what I'm saying.

the price they are charging has nothing to do with my argument.

I'm simply saying a company has the right to tell you that if you want a 4 door car instead of the 2 door than you have to pay more for it.

and if they allowed you before to connect 2 cheaper cars together to get a 4 door and now they no longer want to allow you to do that, then that is fair also, due to the fact that you should have never been able to connect 2 card together, it was them that allowed and they can take it back.

The price they charge for their product has nothing to do with the above.

I agree they charge too much for their product and that is not fair.

I agree they are cornering the market and taking advantage of not having a real competition and that is not fair.

That line there again "due to the fact that you should have never been able to connect 2 card together". They brought that tech for the express purpose of connecting two cards together to improve performance, and now that they choose to limit that ability for the express purpose of price gouging, and it's fair because what Nvidia giveth Nvidia taketh away.

Yea, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 6:52pm
Yes IM, I think it is fare that what Nvidia giveth Nvidia taketh away.

I think the difference here is that I look at sli as a technology nvidia decided to make available in certain products, it belongs to higher end cards, but in order to compete they made it available to lower end cards. Now they have decided to stop support for the lower end.

It sounds to me like you think nvdia owes you sli on all cards because they gave it to you before, basically opposite of "what Nvidia giveth Nvidia taketh away", "what Nvidia giveth Nvidia oweth"

If that is the case then ya we gonna have to agree to disagree.

The price tho we are in full agreement.

We do disagree a lot but I too do respect your knowledge and point of view.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Jul 2016 at 6:55pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 7:30pm

Yes IM, I think it is fare that what Nvidia giveth Nvidia taketh away.

I think the difference here is that I look at sli as a technology nvidia decided to make available in certain products, it belongs to higher end cards, but in order to compete they made it available to lower end cards. Now they have decided to stop support for the lower end.

It sounds to me like you think nvdia owes you sli on all cards because they gave it to you before, basically opposite of "what Nvidia giveth Nvidia taketh away", "what Nvidia giveth Nvidia oweth"

If that is the case then ya we gonna have to agree to disagree.

The price tho we are in full agreement.

We do disagree a lot but I too do respect your knowledge and point of view.

I never even remotely eluded to the fact that Nvidia owed anyone anything. It is their "prerogative" to take away what they once made available.

The point I made from the very beginning is that the reason they are doing so is for the express purpose of price gouging. Price gouging is a predatory practice that does not benefit consumers in any way shape or form. I am a consumer, so what they are doing directly affects me and everyone who is a customer negatively, because if left unchecked it will only get worse.

As a result, as stated in my other post, we desperately need competition so that this stops. As you said they only brought sli to the low end as a response to competition, which was good for everyone. That competition has evaporated, and now we are where we are, which benefits no one other than Nvidia.

Price gouging while legal, is shady as hell. There are many examples of business practices that are legal, but negatively impact consumers. While it is their right to do what they are doing, it is also my right to call a spade a spade.

For the record I also respect your opinion and the good you do in this community. None of this is an attack on your character. Healthy debate is never bad, so long as it remains civil and it has.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 7:41pm
Well to me price gouging is when nvidia charges an arm and a leg for something.

I don't see nvidia not supporting sli for lower cards as price gouging, at least not directly, to me nvidia is making you buy the higher end card which cost more, for which they are price gouging, but I can't call no sli support for 1060 price gouging.

Nothing wrong with Healthy debate

Don't hate, participate
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 7:47pm
The no support for sli, is to force people to the higher tier, which is in high demand and has low availability. This allows them to up the price even more due to the simple concept of supply and demand. Even the 1080 doesn't support sli above 2 cards. You want more for things other than benching, wait for 1080ti and Titan. This is definitely price gouging. It's admirable in a way, because from a business perspective it's brilliant. I however, quickly forget that fact when I look at my wallet.

Edited by Invader Mig - 09 Jul 2016 at 7:48pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 7:58pm
Well I think we have to agree to disagree, I can't call making you go to the next level product that has a higher price, price gouging, due to the fact that you are more then welcome to stay with the lower card, if a single card can't do it, then you need the next card up. That has to do with your need. It is different then the fact that they are price gouging the next card up that you need.

As for making more demand so they can drive the price up, well lets wait and see, I try to not argue future stuff since I don't know what is going to happen. You may very well be right, demand will drive price.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 8:18pm
No you're absolutely right, the act of not supporting sli isn't price gouging in and of itself, as I said that decision was made for the the purpose of gouging. Which we see on higher models.

On a somewhere related note, it seems like a RX 485 may be coming out at some point. Which I imagine will bring about the 1060 ti with SLI.

ALL ABOARD THE SPECULATION TRAIN!!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 8:30pm
Choo Choo
 Post Reply Post Reply