OC'ing help

Post Date: 2013-09-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gloryofthesky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: OC'ing help
    Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 8:50am
Digitalstorm OC'ed my 3930k cpu to 4.5ghz.

I recenetly OC'ed it to 4.6ghz by not changing any voltages just the core speed. Im running a benchmark at the moment.

But if everything goes well I'd like to push it to 4.7ghz. But I think that may requite a SMALL voltage change, But I wouldn't know where to go on the Saberooth X78 Motherboard

Any help finding the voltage?

Digitalstorm custom cooling (CPU only)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 9:08am
Never mind guys!

I have a semi-sucessful OC to 4.8GHZ :D

We'll see if any crashes later tonight..

By the way I figured out my Voltage.

I should NEVER go above 1.5V right?

Im running 1.460V right now.. And "Appear" to be fine, We'll see though
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 9:50am
I'm no expert on oc'ing, far from it, but rule-of-thumb is to keep vcore at 1.4 or less if its being run for extended periods.  Depends how long you want the chip to last. 

Voltage kills and regardless of  temps, within the safe zone,  or stability, you could be damaging the chip at higher voltages.  Some do run at 1.5 or more for years with no apparent problem but a lot also depends on the chip you have.  Every chip, whether cpu or gpu, has its own characteristics,  Some are just better than others out of the same batch.

Just my thoughts on it.  Others might have better info.   Good Luck. Big%20Smile 

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Sep 2013 at 9:51am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 10:34am
Thanks guys! Your why I bought a computer for you all :D

Im going to stay at 1.460V for now..

Is that a good safe zone?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 12:03pm
Will 1.480V shorten the life of my cpu?

I just need my cpu to last around 4-5 years, Anyway, By 4-5 years I would get a new one because greater ones would be out..

Just don't want it to die in 2-3 years :/
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 12:41pm
That voltage seems high. I thought you wanted to keep it below 1.4.

If I was you I would see what overclock I could get stable at below 1.4 voltage.

What voltage was DS using for your 4.5 Ghz overclock?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:11pm
DS was set to around 1.450V
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 3:39pm
Voltage levels depend on the type of CPU. The X79 platform requires more juice than than Haswell CPUs. As the load goes on the CPU, the voltage will adjust accordingly.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 10:48pm
There is nothing official, but assuming good temps, and 24/7 usage, a smart overclock would be to keep it at 1.35v max, pushing it would be 1.4v, killing it early 1.45v, fast death 1.5v. But there are other variables

Edited by DST4ME - 04 Sep 2013 at 10:48pm
Subxero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Subxero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:32am
There are a few good over clocking web groups out there that can help you by seeing what worked and what didn't for other users. Like Alex said, it really depends on your motherboard, CPU and core temps. You may not notice any performance gain other than to say "weeee I am at 5 Ghz " or whatever. Stick to a moderate oc and enjoy your system, or else one day poof goes the CPU.
Hail Storm II level 3
Intel Core i7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
32GB 1866MHz Platinum DHX
1200W Corsair Pro
2x SLI GeForce 980ti XSPC Razor WB
2x XSPC Razor Backplate
XSPC Photon 270 Reservoir
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 9:47am
Thanks,

I lowerd it down to 4.7ghz

Although, I have noticed people say not to go above 1.5V volts, But then I hear others say to stay below 1.4V or it will kill it

I will have to do some more research.

Thanks for all the help guys!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 3:26pm
1.5 vcore at 24/7 work = dead cpu within a year.

its not really about your oc, its more about your vcore, if your vcore is too high, your cpu will dies soon. IF you go to a respectable oc forums where people know what they are doing, you won't find one person that will advise vcore of 1.5 or anything close to it.

to stay within safe limits go with a vcore lower then 1.42, that way with 24/7 use you can rest assure your cpu will last atleast 6 to 8 years if not longer.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Sep 2013 at 3:27pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 12:18pm
Okay!

My vcore is at 1.4V right now..

Im trying to get a good setup and not go over 1.42V

Im using Vcore right now, I saw when DS did it, it wad set to offset.

Could someone describe me the difference?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 12:49pm
gloryofthesky I would leave your oc alone if its working fine the way DS set it.

there are a lot of settings to change, I don't mess with oc unless I'm in front of the pc with a few hours to kill, I just like to get the best oc possible.

if they have it set to offset that means its not fixed.

going from 4.5 to 4.6 will show you no gains you will notice, once you have a oc above 4.2-4.4 you are good to go.

If you still like to push it, first you need to see your limits. put the cpu under heavy load with something like fah for cpu and see what your max temps are after an hour.

if your max temps are below 70c then you may have room to push it from heat point of view, but thats just one thing, after that you have to look at actual vcore set (with offset and all) an then see if you want to go to the vcore it takes.

all of that to just go from 4.5 to 4.6/4.7 IMHO is completely pointless unless you have actual use for the extra number crunching.
Sernafied View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sernafied Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 8:38pm

Ok an offset overclock is for use with turbo mode enabled

When your processor is under higher load it will "turbo" to your target turbo clock.
When you bump your target turbo higher, you're going to need more power(VCore)
The offset voltage is a + or - value. Keep in mind that while using turbo mode, your computer will automatically increase the voltage when your computer is under load. The offset value is an addition or subtraction from the presets in place. So, for example if your target turbo is 3.9 GHz, and you leave your offset at it's default setting, it may increase voltage to 1.100V. When you change your multiplier to 44, it will change your target turbo speed to 4.4 GHz, but you haven't changed your offset, so under load your computer will attempt to run at 4.4GHz @ 1.100V. This probably won't be stable, so you'd need to bump your offset to a + value. I'd start with +.05. So now under load your computer will overclock to 4.4GHz @ 1.150V. Also remember that while downclocked, the offset will still apply. You're running an x79 so your voltage requirements will be different from my z77, though the principle is the same.

The constant overclock uses a static VCore and runs with turbo mode and intel speed step disabled. This means your computer will run at  your specified clock speed and specified voltage all the time, even while not under load.(It will not downclock while idling, nor will it drop your voltage) So as an example you've changed your multiplier to 4.4, and you've changed your VCore to 1.15. Now your computer will run at 4.4GHz @ 1.15V all the time, whether you're gaming, watching YouTube, or just checking your email. It will run at this speed while you're AFK watching TV or feeding the babies, or while you're at school and your computer is on at home. Seems a but unnecessary doesn't it?

I use and suggest an offset overclock. I'm running 4.4GHz @ 1.14V while under 100% load. I've read and read and read, and 1.45V seems quite high for a 4.5GHz overclock, but as each chip is different and requires different voltages for different clocks, I'm not discounting the possibility. There are no pre set numbers to just plug and play. Two identical systems may require different voltages to run the same overclock.

While overclocking, be ready for bluscreens and freezes, these things are ok. It means that your initial attempts are unstable, and you need to change something. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE manipulate your voltages in SMALL steps(.05) until you're stable. The paradox of overclocking is that while we want more speed, we have to be take time getting it there :D

Edited by Sernafied - 08 Sep 2013 at 11:21pm
i7 3770k @ 4.4
16GB 1600MHz Corsair Dominator
240GB Corsair Neutron SSD
1TB Storage
GTX 690
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Sernafied

Now your computer will run at 4.4GHz @ 1.15V all the time, whether you're gaming, watching YouTube, or just checking your email. It will run at this speed while you're AFK watching TV or feeding the babies, or while you're at school and your computer is on at home. Seems a but unnecessary doesn't it?

It makes no difference to anything whether your cpu is running at full oc speeds or not.

As you know yourself if the vcore and other settings are correct you can run that cpu at full oc 24/7 and that cpu will still outlive the pc its in.(easily over 8 years)

From power usage point of view its miniscule amount of power.

either way I can't find one good reason other than preference to why a constant proper oc should step down when not in use.

I completely agree with you that 1.45 vcore is way too high for a 4.5Ghz oc, even tho each cpu is different thats just too high.

Thanks for posting all the details I'm sure people here will find it very useful

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Sep 2013 at 12:35am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloryofthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 6:48am
I did completly stop with that voltage, Im running 1.4V @ 4.8GHZ
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 2:34pm
1.4 is a good vcore to have for that oc. I'm sure it can always be better but at 1.4 you are safe.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 5:02pm
You're perfectly fine.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 11:44am
Ah, I'm late to the OC talk. :/  You get it sorted out?  There's more to it than just increasing voltage and your speed.  You have to look at a few things, especially when you're putting a huge strain on it. 

I definitely would run 4.7 or 4.8ghz 24/7 as that high of a vcore is going to bake your cpu up quick.    Those are benchmarking speeds only pretty much. 

Anyways let me know if you still have any questions.  OC'ing is kind of what I do. 

Post Reply Post Reply