FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OC Genie question

Post Date: 2015-02-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: OC Genie question
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:15pm
I have an MSI board paired with an i7-2600k. My cpu is 3.4Ghz but when I push the OC button on the mother board and go into bios. the speed is a whopping 4.2Ghz. My first thought is that can't be right, my 2nd thought is "that is going to ruin my processor, but the computer didn't crash so maybe its stable and ok". "MSI wouldn't possibly build a product that would ruin customers computers", would they? Does anyone have better knowledge on this, and can shed some light on the OC Genie, is this ok to use?
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:04pm
First off, that CPU has this turbo feature ( as do many later CPUs in certain Intel lines.)

It can boost to 3.8, so you can see 4.2 is not as big of a jump as it might seem

4.2 Ghz is not an unreasonable OC. I will say it's a bit of a stretch for my i7-3770k to hit 4.2, as it requires a voltage increase. But it will do it. And stay cool enough with my closed loop Corsair cooler.

If you have some concerns about stability, there are many programs you can run to ensure stability. You may also be able to monitor the CPU temp using various programs to ensure it's staying cool enough. Note that the CPU should automatically downclock if it's running too hot or consuming too much current, etc. And the computer should be setup, in the worst case, to simply stop running if the CPU overheated.

If you were really concerned, you can probably manually adjust the CPU multiplier down a notch to 4.1. My CPU will happily run at 4.1 as it has done so for years, problem free

Edited by michaeljhuman - 11 Feb 2015 at 9:06pm
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 Post Reply Post Reply