FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OC noob question

Post Date: 2010-10-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cruncher View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cruncher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: OC noob question
    Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 11:41am
The last time I overclocked a PC I downloaded a little app with a slider that would OC the FSB, slamming my PII 266 all the way up to 320.  Things have changed a little bit since then, the i7s being a tad more complex.

I'm thinking about giving it a shot so I've read up on the topic, but I have a question I haven't seen addressed -- Can I damage something with a wrong setting or three?  Assuming I manually set all voltages to safe levels and constantly monitor my temps, what else can cause permanent damage?

Case in point is memory settings.  I don't have the first clue what any of it means yet. Can an incorrect timing damage anything? I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance from my DS brothers that as long as I:

Keep voltages and dimm/vtt ratio safe
Keep temperatures safe
Keep uncore/memory ratio safe

that I won't do a permabork.  Am I missing any other crucial tidbits?

Thanks
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 2:17pm
the fewer voltages that arent ARE manually set in a safe range (auto is not a safe range) the less likely you are to cause damage

auto = bad

im not going to say 100%, since im not physically with the computer, but if the voltages are all set to safe ranges and you are only changing blcks, multipliers, ram ratio and timings, theres little you could do to actually damage the system hardware

Edited by !ender_ - 12 Oct 2010 at 9:38am
cruncher View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote cruncher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:50pm
Thanks. So leaving the memory timings and voltage at 1.65 alone while I've got the memory way underclocked to fiddle with the bclk would be ok? The spec calls for different settings for speeds slower than 1600.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 9:42am
i had to edit that post, it said that the more voltages that arent set, it should have said are set
with any overclocking you should hard set as many voltages as possible, especially when trying out unique or higher overclocks, as this could have adverse affects on your voltages/hardware

looser timings at lower speed are fine and probably more stable, but they waste power.. sorta like going 35 in 4th gear... you move along at a steady pace but you have little get up and go power
generally as you lower your ram speed you tighten timings.. testing with ram on a safe easy setting is more of a FSB type testing, as the bclock directly impacts everything in the system, its better to test them all together unless you are doing ONLY core temp tests
 Post Reply Post Reply