FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ode level 4

Post Date: 2012-04-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
retirednavysnipe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ode level 4
    Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:23am
I am in the market for a new gaming pc and the ode level 4 has caught my eye.  I just have a question concerning the 2 7970's,  Seeing as how every review I have read about these GPu's state that the run warm,  is that going have any problems in the case that houses the Ode 4?

By the way I have been lurking this forum for about a year or so and finally registered.  I guess I am your classic procrastinator. 

My budget for this pc is 3500 to 4500 bucks.

Gaming on a 27' screen reseloution of 1920-1080.

Will be looking at multiscreen use in the next 6 months or so.

Mostly first person shooters.  Like gaming in high reseloution.  Also some racing games, i.e. Nascar, Indy, Dirt 3.

if I don't go for the ode 4 I will be looking for a pc that has dual loop liquid cooling for the cpu and gpu and I am open to opinions about what I should buy.

Thank you in advance.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:58am
Hi retirednavysnipe......Welcome to the forums.  

The ODE 4's 600T case will handle the cf 7970s, mainly because, and it isn't shown,  DS has added fans to the side panel, blowing cool air directly onto the gpu's.  The ODE 4 will handle the 27"monitor at 1920x1080 with most games on ultra settings.  Some like BF3 might have to have some things tweeked, but gaming is great. 

Here's your other pick.

Config # 673082    Cost $ 4530

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (ASUS BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: age 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

This config builder is screwing up so I made manual changes to the specs.  I think the price and parts are right.

I put in the X79 platform in case you want to add another gpu later, depending on the multi monitor setup you mentioned.

The 1200W psu is also for tri-sli 3x gpu.

The gtx680's will handle the same if not a bit better than as the ODE 4's 7970's. 

The Hailstorm case is great for watercooled systems.

I dropped the default i7-3930k chip for the i7-3820k chip to save you $300.  The 6 core 3930 is not needed for gaming, the 4 core 3820 all you need.

I went with the X79 platform first to compare it to the ODE 4's X79 setup.

If you never plan on adding a third gpu, then you can save some money and drop psu to 1050HX and go with the p8z68 V-Pro/ Gen3 mobo and i7-2600k chip.  Depends on your future plans.    That system would be about $3800, I think,  Again the config builder keepd screwing with me.

Check it out and good luck.   Others might be by to help out.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Apr 2012 at 10:29am
Neens View Drop Down

Quote Neens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 11:32am
I am running at 2560x1600 on a 30" with an ode 4 and am getting 55-60+ fps in bf3 on ultra settings.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:39pm
Hi retirednavysnipe,

In regards to your comment about the 7970s running warm. I think the reason you are seeing these comments is not because the 7970s run warm, but that they don't run quite as cool as the 680s. They run about 10+ degrees cooler than the 580 runs under load. You never hear any one complaining about the 580 running hot and I don't think it is a fair assessment about the 7970. Especially when you consider their performance. Heat is not a reason to avoid the 7970.

Frank

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 3:15pm
Thanks for the responses and answers, I was just curious.  After searching several boutique venues for gaming pc's I find that the ODE 4 would be the best value for the money. 

I have narrowed my search to 2 different pc's , one being the ODE 4 and another one.  I will be buying in about a weeks time  and will let the forum what choice I make, it might just come down to the fact that I hear of Digital Storm having one of the best phone services and being one of the best pc manufacturers in the country.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 4:01pm
The ODE 4 is great performance.   And DS does it right.    The water cooling you asked to see for gaming is moreluxury than neccessity. Whatever your choice ..Best of Luck.      Keep us updated.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:46am
Hi retirednavysnipe,

bprat22 has given you a good system and comments but I want to make sure you don't make a mistake and go with another company. So I wanted you to see some optional systems to the ODE-4.

Configuration: 673613 Cost: $3642.

This is a tight system very close to the ODE-4 price. You don't need the X79 6-core CPU for gaming. The 4-core X79 will give similar results.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Here is a system with the 2600K like bprat22 suggested. This is a strong gaming machine with the same CPU speeds as the X79 CPUs. The best bang for the buck.

Configuration: 673616 Cost: $3495

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)

When looking at other builders that do LC you need to compare components to what DS uses. There is a difference in radiators and fans. LC looks great but in most cases it is not needed for top performance.

Frank

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 11:04am
I was also looking at the Aventum configuration.  I have requested some interior photos from DS.  After seeing the interior pics I will make up my mind which pc I will be going for.

Does anyone on here have any interior photos of the Aventum? 

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 11:08am
Just updated my signature.  Don't judge me for the PC I currently have.
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
120 GB SSD, 1 TB hardrive
Fully liquid cooled CPU, GPU and chipset.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 11:13am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 9:10am
Hi retirednavysnipe,

Being a Navy man, you can use your currant system for an anchor.

Frank

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:02pm
Thought about that Frank, but it still works fine.  Gonna give it to the wife and buy a real good gamer for myself. 

John
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:15pm
@Retired.

First off - do you miss 'the pit' being retired?

I am about to retire myself.

Listen, as a fellow person who has spent a minute near the stack or an hour near the boiler I gotta tell you...

If you buy some other mass produced PC from anyone else then digital storm - you are really running a gamble.

I've been in this gaming / pc vendor thing since as long as I can remember.  Nobody really stands behind their product anymore man.  Go with these guys, the CS and the attention to detail the are willing to spend on each PC they build is almost a personal investment for them.

I can't tell you how many countless people I've chatted to or read from on these and other forums.

I just can't bring myself to buy from another company - and if you are even THINKING about buying from Martains... DONT.  Save yourself the stress now while you are ahead - trust me, I'm on my 4th PC from them.

You feel free to PM/Reply to me anytime.

Lookin forward to seeing what you do man.

Best of luck!

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:21pm
Xii.

Gotta tell you been retired for 9 years now and still miss it from time to time.  But now that life has passed and I have paid for it.  Just was declared disabled due to some serious back and arthritis problems.  Now all I can do is play on the PC and walk short distances.  But oh well

Just configed my dream PC, with liquid cooling, I just gotta have that.  Take a look and let me know what you think.

Config: 674001

Thanks 

John
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:37pm
Hi retirednavysnipe,

You have a good system but I think we can give you the same performance for a little less money.

1. You don't need the Maximus Mobo. The ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 will get the job done.

2. You don't need 16GB of memory for gaming. If you don't do other work that requires more memory they 8Gb is all you need. Get the Digital Storm certified memory. Same performance less money.

3. You don't need the 1200w power supply. The 1050 will do the job. You would only need the 1200 for Tri-SLI but this platform doesn't do Tri-SLI properly.

4. Change your SSD to the Intel 520 model. Much more speed than the 320. You might consider the 180Gb instead of the 120Gb.

5. I don't like hybrid drives. More to go wrong with them. The 1Tb WD Black would be a better choice in my opinion. You already have an SSD for speed loading.

6. Unless you work in foreign languages you don't need Win-7 Ultimate. Win-7 Pro is all you need.

7. You don't need the so called performance fans unless you just want more color. They just add noise. You have a LC system and you don't need a lot fans.

8. The Temperature/Fan Controller is usually a wast of money. The best thing they do is look cool. It doesn't control all fans and the temperature gauge is just an indicator and doesn't give accurate temperature readings. You can see if your temps are going up or down but not a true reading of what they are.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 09 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:40pm
Sir,

Love it.  Its gonna be awesome.  From my experiences - I have recommended the following changes:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (White)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)

I put the changes in -bold-. 

Reasoning:

Those SSDH's (SSH drives) to me are garbage.  I can show you a picture of how 'well' they perform.  Just get a normal HD as recommended, its cheaper and you have more room.

Put the games you play ALL the time on the SSD and put the OS on the SSD.

You can disable sleep/hibernate modes in the computer to save even more room on that drive.

The memory, as I've seen recommended is just fine for what you want.  Opinions may differ.  The CS people can even tell you - I like them 'cause they don't really act like salesmen.  It is also cheaper.

The Fan controller looks cool - but I've found those arent really that necassary 'cause you are gonna LC the GPUs and the CPU.

I changed your windows to professional because this way you can upgrade to 32GB of memory in the future with no issues also windows untimate  - the only thing it does is add some virtualization that only helps if you have XP ONLY applications and it also adds bitlocker service which I had - and used... and found useless. Haha.

So - man.

This (or your PC) is gonna be a monster.  I recommend you call animal control now.

Also, I hear ya about the whole pain thing brother.  Navy is sending me home.  IED.  Thankfully, no missing parts.

You and I are gonna dominate some video games Pal!  Can't wait to see your machine!

Make sure you REVIEW and post PICS!!!! Drooling

Oh yea - build #:674007

Edited by xii - 09 Apr 2012 at 3:41pm
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:47pm
Also - BAH I was beat to the punch.  However I also agree with the motherboard switch.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:52pm
Hi xii,

Sorry about that.

Frank

xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:53pm
Why?  Your advice is always good.

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:20pm
I think I have made up my  mind.  After getting such quick responces and advice from this forum I believe I will buy from DS.  I went back to Bprat22 advice on the Hailstorm.  I have chosen the I7 3820 quad.  The reason being when I need to go to hex core in 3 or 4 years I will not have to  change the mobo.

The config I have almost 90% sure is :  674083.

Take a look and thanks for the quick advice.
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:33pm
Strong
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:34pm
Might be me but I cant load that config.

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:53pm
Sorry config 674038

My dyslexia must have kicked in, 
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:05am
Hi retirednavynipe,

Good looking system but why are you picking the 320 SSD over the 520? The 520 is a faster and newer drive.

The Seagate 500Gb HDD doesn't have as good of performance as the Western Digital 1Tb.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:41am
Yep, my thoughts too.  The changes Frank proposed would add about $110 to the price.

Other than that, that is a great rig with room to expand in the future.

Go for itAwesome

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 6:42am
Frank and all who have helped me, 

I have made the final adjustments by adding the intel 520, and going with a 1 TB hard drive. 

I am going to order this PC the end of this week or the weekend.  You all on here have helped me realize that DS is the way to go.  With verified customers like you all singing their praises they must be doing something right.
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:26am
retirednavysnipe, this forum is made up of people who are DS owners who understand what you will be getting. I personally think DS is a great company or I wouldn't be here helping them sell computers. Gamers need companies like DS and when they do well, we do well. Gamers pay a premium for their computers and having a company like DS makes our purchases a lot easier.

There are some other good computer companies out there but I haven't found any that tries as hard as DS to make a good product and support its customers. This forum has a lot to do with the satisfaction of customers who ask for help. Sometimes our recommendations reduce the price of a computer but DS gives us the freedom to give our opinion. I think this Forum is unique to DS and we all benefit from it.   

Congrats on your computer. You will be killing bad guys in no time.

Frank
Dreamin View Drop Down

Quote Dreamin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:40pm
VERY happy with my ODE Level 4.

All the DX11 games i've tried at ultra settings on my 30" 2560x1600 run 70-100+fps.
CPU temps never go over 65C
H100 coolant temps never go over 45C
GPU temps never go over 80C

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply